Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting increasingly fewer miles per charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People don't buy cars just to go for the max speed. It is the acceleration. 99.99% Tesla owners do not do 1/4 mile race either. It is the practical stop light to stop light acceleration and highway passing acceleration. Common sense is hard to come by these days. =)
I use most of the power to get ahead and overtake and generally make progress but rarely go over 100mph (points, fine and potential jail time in U.K.) unless I’m in Germany on an autobahn then I can max it out. Although 135mph won’t feel anywhere as good as 190mph + on my bike.

Reactions: nate704
We just drove from Sacramento to Los Angeles today. It took 7 hours to drive the 400 miles in the Model Y, the same time it would’ve taken our family in a gas car. Here’s why:

ABetterRoutePlanner estimated 6hr 10min total time, including two 20-minute Supercharges. At the midway point we stopped to charge but, instead of 20 minutes, we were hungry after driving three hours and decided to eat at the adjacent steakhouse restaurant. We ate and rested for 50 minutes and came back to the Y at 91% charge — enough to skip the second Supercharger stop and head directly to our hotel.

In a gas car we would’ve stopped to eat anyways, maybe not at the exact same restaurant but we would spend the same amount of time stopped somewhere for a break and finish the trip in the same 7 hours. The difference is the Y has such effortless power for passing semis on I-5, and the gas savings paid for our meal.

If I was driving alone and on a mission then an ICE car would definitely get me from coast to coast quicker, but I travel with my family and those other humans demand breaks. Those breaks coincide perfectly with charging stops so there isn’t any loss to us in total net time. Everyone in the Y is happier and more comfortable during the trip, and more refreshed when we arrive at our destination.
First of all; Is your Model Y a Performance or a Long Range? Did you start your trip with 100% charge? What was your average speed mph? And I take it you drove on the 5 fwy, up the grapevine? 🤔

I use most of the power to get ahead and overtake and generally make progress but rarely go over 100mph (points, fine and potential jail time in U.K.) unless I’m in Germany on an autobahn then I can max it out. Although 135mph won’t feel anywhere as good as 190mph + on my bike.
If someone with performance car comes up alongside an open highway or stop at the same stoplight and challenge you; Do you get it on or you chicken out?

If I was driving alone and on a mission then an ICE car would definitely get me from coast to coast quicker, but I travel with my family and those other humans demand breaks. Those breaks coincide perfectly with charging stops so there isn’t any loss to us in total net time. Everyone in the Y is happier and more comfortable during the trip, and more refreshed when we arrive at our destination.
All those breaks may mean it's a safer trip too. Apparently according to CMT budgeting in more stops reduces fatigue and therefore reduces accidents. Accidents are more likely on longer trips.

That’s great; While visiting my daughter in Chandler AZ, I couldn’t find any SC in the greater West Valley ( Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert, Queen Creek) 🤦🏻‍♂️ Unbelievable
Since you have family in the area, you might want to look thought this forum on Supercharger locations in Arizona and nearby states. It might offer some hope for better charging options in the future.

Since you have family in the area, you might want to look thought this forum on Supercharger locations in Arizona and nearby states. It might offer some hope for better charging options in the future.
I’ve done my research; Only Tesla Supercharger is in Scottsdale 😬 or in Buckeye on your way out of AZ..

Attachments

• 7D5FC399-DE00-4246-8738-9A4C19B56AFD.jpeg
    7D5FC399-DE00-4246-8738-9A4C19B56AFD.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 100
AC/heat usage has absolutely nothing to do with estimated range.

Estimated range is based solely on how much energy the car thinks the battery has available and the EPA estimated range per Kw/h.
I was referring to estimated range based on efficiency, meaning that number will go down faster than normal.

Anyhow, I now realize I misread the original post.

Last edited:
First of all; Is your Model Y a Performance or a Long Range? Did you start your trip with 100% charge? What was your average speed mph? And I take it you drove on the 5 fwy, up the grapevine? 🤔
LR Y. Left the house with 96%, traveled 205 miles and arrived at Harris Ranch Supercharger with 19% remaining. Left Harris Ranch with 91% and skipped all other Superchargers, went up through Grapevine, and traveled 206 miles to arrive at hotel with 12% remaining.

Based on the first leg I extrapolated a full range of ~275 miles and drove at 78 MPH, and at times 85 MPH. Typically back home I drive at 70 on the freeway but that speed seemed too slow to keep up with semis down I-5. If I drove my usual manner I’m sure I could get over 300 miles on a full battery.

Last edited:
LR Y. Left the house with 96%, traveled 205 miles and arrived at Harris Ranch Supercharger with 19% remaining. Left Harris Ranch with 91% and skipped all other Superchargers, went up through Grapevine, and traveled 206 miles to arrive at hotel with 12% remaining.

Based on the first leg I extrapolated a full range of ~275 miles and drove at 78 MPH, and at times 85 MPH. Typically back home I drive at 70 on the freeway but that speed seemed too slow to keep up with semis down I-5. If I drove my usual manner I’m sure I could get over 300 miles on a full battery.
One last question if you don’t mind; Are the wheels on your LR Y 19’ or 20’s ?

Total nonsense for Tesla to advertise a new MYP at over 300 mi range.. I’ve had mine for two months and just came back home (Corona CA) from a road trip to Chandler AZ. 😬
More like 230 while keeping up with traffic; 75mph speed limit in most of AZ.
Got to be careful if you want to have a little fun when someone challenges you..
kWh will drop in a hurry 😲🤦🏻‍♂️
I’m seriously thinking of buying a set of 19’s and hope that helps.
It wont help my car seems to lose alot range also, drove 20 miles total and the battery went down 16 percent. Thats almost one percent per mile.

I keep my battery charge percentage to 80% (per everybody’s recommendation) but I see that translating to lower and lower mileage. In the past the 80% battery charge would equate to about 250 miles but in the last few months it gradually dropped to 225 miles. The car is pretty new (5 months old) so I’m pretty pissed off. Is there any explanation to this or am I reading something wrong here?
Before you get pissed off at something you aren’t sure is accurate, (like many here do), read some threads to educate yourself on how the BMS works. Your battery will degrade. It just likely hasn’t degraded that much yet.