Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting interesting... BMW 3-Series EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes,

but the 'Tesla killer' is to be available in 2021.

Personally, I have heard enough of these announcements. Show me the real thing.

BMW 3er G20 (2018): Vorschau und Erlkönig - Der 3er zwischen zwei Welten

Then answer a few questions please:

- when is it available?
- how many are to be produced?
- show me your source for the battery
- show me where I can fast charge on road trips

Reactions: EV-lutioin
German automakers are generating a lot of press about their future electric cars because it isn't likely to hurt their current sales but might slow the uptake of Tesla cars, especially the Model 3. They would like nothing more than for Tesla to report large numbers of cancelled reservations. Personally, I do believe the thesis that the Model 3 has contributed significantly to the downturn in BMW 3-series sales in the US. That is what really scares the German automakers.

Reactions: EinSV
The BMW i3, introduced four years ago if you believe it, has gotten no honest upgrades (80 miles of range in 2017?!) and it is ugly ("polarizing").

Not sure where you got that information, because it's wrong. In 2016 they launched a 50% range increase to 120 miles. Also, it's a really great and fun car to drive, no need to bash it just because it's not a Tesla.

Not sure where you got that information, because it's wrong. In 2016 they launched a 50% range increase to 120 miles. Also, it's a really great and fun car to drive, no need to bash it just because it's not a Tesla.
I agree to not bash it, though range of 120 still limits it to short range travel and to those with a garage as it requires nightly charging. A tesla with more range can handle those uses much better. The model 3 works for me because the range upgrade should allow me to make it my only car.

Reactions: callmesam and gene
I had an I3 for 2 years and agree a fun ride , but an electric 3 series is very compelling.
I'll take mine as a wagon. I know wagons are not sold much in the USA but hey there have much better aero than an SUV.

Bmw seems to have some stuff figured out , the powertrain in my X5 40e is pretty slick
Just wish it had a 16-18kwh battery instead of 9.9

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
BMW is a joke.
OK, so they show a concept car in Sept.... What will be the release date? 2020? 2021? By that time Tesla will have sold over 1 million+ Model 3s.
I think it's increasing likely that MOST ICE automakers are bankrupt in 5 years. Of course their governments will bail them out as "too big to fail" but they will be so far behind they will not catch up.
I don't see ANY legacy carmaker having a serious plan to compete with Tesla over the next 5 years.
After the dust settles Tesla will be the #1 carmaker in the world and the rest of the legacy automakers will literally be on life support.
What remains to be seen is who will rise from the ashes? Who will the next REAL electric automaker be? It's not looking to good for Faraday. Maybe Lucid but they need a more mainstream long term plan. And after those two there is nobody else even on the Horizon. I think Mercedes and Porsche may make it. But BMW is toast, as is GM, Ford, Chrysler, and even Honda and Toyota.
Interesting next few years that is for true....

Maybe but....my neighbor has one and he's not a big supporter. He hates the limited range and says driving characteristics are Ok.

btw: he's very envious of my ability to travel long distances (I can charge 72A in my home and there are two SC options nearly if needed Ft. Myers and downtown Naples) easily whereby he can't make it to Ft. Lauderdale.

This is great news. The i3 may be a good car for many, but it is not targeted to a traditional BMW driver. I had an ActiveE (beta test BMW 1 series with the ICE and gas tank replaced by electric motor and 100 mile battery). It was awesome; I would have kept it if they let me. My normcore taste would not permit me to buy an i3.

An electric 3 will be strong competition. Assuming identical range, I'm not sure if I would have purchased my S if a BMW 3 had been available. This is great news for the segment--let's hope they do the 5 too!

Reactions: hiroshiy
Fake news. The source story in Handelsblatt says the electric 3-Series will be introduced "at Germany’s premier auto show in Munich in September." Really? Germany's premier auto show in September is in Frankfurt. If they can't get something as obvious as that right . . .

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
I am hoping that there's not just competition for EVs but also an aggressive push to deliver the best car for the price.

We've seen a lot of stagnation in the auto industry, everyone has their absurd prices for features found standard on lower priced cars. They've all been doing the status quo for years.

New BMW is a joke.
OK, so they show a concept car in Sept.... What will be the release date? 2020? 2021? By that time Tesla will have sold over 1 million+ Model 3s.
Exactly.

All the articles about this BMW EV say that it is being "introduced" at the Munich auto show. What does that mean, exactly? When is it going on sale?

BMW is far, far behind Tesla. Maybe someday they will make a serious effort to catch up, not just in offering a variety of long range EVs, but in offer a usable high speed charging network. But so far I see no evidence of that happening.