Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Model 3 onto tow truck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 got completely smashed up by hail yesterday. All of the glass was broken, glass inside the car, all of car dented, it's ugly. So today I got a tow truck to come for it. It was so hard to try to put it onto the flat bed. We tapped the towing icon and then tapped whatever it said to put it on the flat bed. Then opened the door, stepped out of the car, and it immediately went back into Park! Over and over. Finally attached the driver seat belt, tapped the icons from the passenger seat, and got it up on the flat bed. Then as the tow truck began to drive away, the alarm went off. I turned it off from my phone and it went off again. The poor guy wound up driving the car with the alarm screaming all the way through town.

I know when I bought the car that there were instructions on how to tow the car. But now I was unable to even FIND the owners manual, let alone read it! It is like the owners manual was no longer listed on the menu. I know that I am an older woman and that technology is not an intuitive thing for me, but darn it. It should not be that hard!

So now that my car is at the repair shop, please remind me HOW to find the owners manual and HOW to get the car into towing mode and HOW to make the alarm stop going off.

I am upset and heart broken about the damage to the only car I ever loved, so I would appreciate no eye-rolling RTFM comments. Thanks for any help you can offer me.

I’m sorry this happened to you. I would be gutted as well. Hopefully your insurance gets you sorted out, and you can get back to enjoying your car!

For the manual: On the vehicle’s screen, tap the T in the top next to the outdoor temp. When the screen pops up, with the image of your car and miles look in the lower right hand corner you will find the Owners Manual link in blue.

You can also access the manual at any time from your account page on Tesla.com. Once you log in, and see your vehicle on the screen, click Manage. You will see several drop down menus, and you can find the owners manual in the “Glovebox” section. I personally keep an updated copy saved to my phone, for the off chance I can’t access anything else. Most newer phones should have the option to download and store the file on your device.

Regarding the Alarm, you could turn off walk away lock as previously suggested, but also turn off Sentry Mode.

Hope this helps!

I’m sorry this happened to you. I would be gutted as well. Hopefully your insurance gets you sorted out, and you can get back to enjoying your car!

For the manual: On the vehicle’s screen, tap the T in the top next to the outdoor temp. When the screen pops up, with the image of your car and miles look in the lower right hand corner you will find the Owners Manual link in blue.

You can also access the manual at any time from your account page on Tesla.com. Once you log in, and see your vehicle on the screen, click Manage. You will see several drop down menus, and you can find the owners manual in the “Glovebox” section. I personally keep an updated copy saved to my phone, for the off chance I can’t access anything else. Most newer phones should have the option to download and store the file on your device.

Regarding the Alarm, you could turn off walk away lock as previously suggested, but also turn off Sentry Mode.

Hope this helps!

Thanks to all of you! I guess I need to become more familiar with my phone app! I didn't know how turn off sentry mode (I see that it is in Controls -- Is that padlock item at the top of the controls page for walk-away lock?)

I just got the call from the body shop. Looks like $23,000. I am amazed since I figured it would be much more. New windshield and back window and roof window. Also right front quarter panel. New trunk lid, frunk lid, rear door. Lots of dents to suck out!

Just to self-pity a bit: Can't find a rental car since the hail storm trashed tons of cars here. Have to wait until next week to even have a tiny hope of getting a rental!

Thanks to all of you! I guess I need to become more familiar with my phone app! I didn't know how turn off sentry mode (I see that it is in Controls -- Is that padlock item at the top of the controls page for walk-away lock?)

I just got the call from the body shop. Looks like $23,000. I am amazed since I figured it would be much more. New windshield and back window and roof window. Also right front quarter panel. New trunk lid, frunk lid, rear door. Lots of dents to suck out!

Just to self-pity a bit: Can't find a rental car since the hail storm trashed tons of cars here. Have to wait until next week to even have a tiny hope of getting a rental!
No, that is just the general lock/unlock.

To turn off walk away lock, you do that from the lock section on your vehicles screen.

Are they totaling your vehicle?
Definitely sounds like a significant bill not to be totaled.

Reactions: Reborn
I had a similar experience when getting my car towed. It’s not as seamless as it should be, especially during a stressful situation.

When you put the car into tow mode it should just remind you to place the key card. Simple as that.

My model 3 got completely smashed up by hail yesterday. All of the glass was broken, glass inside the car, all of car dented, it's ugly. So today I got a tow truck to come for it. It was so hard to try to put it onto the flat bed. We tapped the towing icon and then tapped whatever it said to put it on the flat bed. Then opened the door, stepped out of the car, and it immediately went back into Park! Over and over. Finally attached the driver seat belt, tapped the icons from the passenger seat, and got it up on the flat bed. Then as the tow truck began to drive away, the alarm went off. I turned it off from my phone and it went off again. The poor guy wound up driving the car with the alarm screaming all the way through town.

I know when I bought the car that there were instructions on how to tow the car. But now I was unable to even FIND the owners manual, let alone read it! It is like the owners manual was no longer listed on the menu. I know that I am an older woman and that technology is not an intuitive thing for me, but darn it. It should not be that hard!

So now that my car is at the repair shop, please remind me HOW to find the owners manual and HOW to get the car into towing mode and HOW to make the alarm stop going off.

I am upset and heart broken about the damage to the only car I ever loved, so I would appreciate no eye-rolling RTFM comments. Thanks for any help you can offer me.

I had to stay in the car while getting in the tow , and on “neutral”. When I got the car on the tow, I disabled sentry and alarm and it was fine.

You can also access the manual at any time from your account page on Tesla.com. Once you log in, and see your vehicle on the screen, click Manage. You will see several drop down menus, and you can find the owners manual in the “Glovebox” section. I personally keep an updated copy saved to my phone, for the off chance I can’t access anything else. Most newer phones should have the option to download and store the Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin file on your device.

Hope this helps!
My sister got towed from a condo she was staying at. Her teenager tossed the bright yellow octagonal shaped parking pass on the dash but it was face down. Asshole towing company said they couldn’t rule out a fake parking pass since they couldn’t read the number.