Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Model Y to be "performance" without the package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I am in the market for a Model Y. I would like the "Performance" model for the increased acceleration, but I know I'm going to want to replace the suspension, wheels and pedals anyway. So I guess my question is, are there aftermarket suspensions, brakes, and coding services (to remove speed limiters and activate faster acceleration times) that could replace the things tesla puts in their "performance" package? What if I got the long range model and then just removed the speed limiter, put my own suspension and brakes on? How does the "performance" model have faster acceleration? Is it a software thing that they unlock or are they different motors?

There is no real aftermarket coding for these cars. If your car had a specific motor, you "might" be able to get an after market boost kit that tricks the car into thinking its a performance model, but:

1. These are some of the most connected cars in the world, with software updates OTA.
2. Tesla could see this, and OTA disable it if they wanted to.... since the car is connected all the time
3. The cars have different rear motors (unless tesla subs one in during the parts shortage).

TL ; DR , sure you can substitute the brakes, suspension, tires, no, you really are not going to be after market activating any speed boost without completely disconnecting the car from tesla, going to a specific few people, and being prepared to not accept any updates at all (and pay a few thousand to do it, with no idea if tesla will choose to disable it, because they can see it if they want.

Reactions: jpy1980
Is it a software thing that they unlock or are they different motors?
It's hardware and motor.

I'd add that if you want the performance get the performance because you really don't need to swap out anything suspension or brakes. The brakes on the P are pretty good. If anything wider discs just for more heat capacity. The suspension is actually pretty decent for what it can do, .95g on the skipad. How many suv's can do that for 65K? The suspension's weakness is with choppy and basically crappy roads. It handles them poorly, so we have to keep in mind that the thing is tuned for smooth roads where it can apply its tremendous grip. Complaints almost always come from owners who want their cake and eat it too. The dampers are analog so there's no chance of it being the best in any situation.

I don't really get the modding of a Y because it doesn't have track mode and it probably never will. If you are looking to make a track day weapon the M3P is the car to get not the Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: WG21 and jjrandorin
There is no real aftermarket coding for these cars. If your car had a specific motor, you "might" be able to get an after market boost kit that tricks the car into thinking its a performance model, but:

1. These are some of the most connected cars in the world, with software updates OTA.
2. Tesla could see this, and OTA disable it if they wanted to.... since the car is connected all the time
3. The cars have different rear motors (unless tesla subs one in during the parts shortage).

TL ; DR , sure you can substitute the brakes, suspension, tires, no, you really are not going to be after market activating any speed boost without completely disconnecting the car from tesla, going to a specific few people, and being prepared to not accept any updates at all (and pay a few thousand to do it, with no idea if tesla will choose to disable it, because they can see it if they want.
That's a good point regarding the computer. I was looking into the Boost 50 or the ghost upgrade. But you're right, it would probably void the warranty. Looks like the "performance" model is about $7k more. Seems like a good bang for the buck actually. Coilovers would be about $1500, the boost module is $2400, brakes plus wheels would be like $2-3k anyway, So sounds like the performance is just worth it after all.

Reactions: FasterBlaster
It's hardware and motor.

I'd add that if you want the performance get the performance because you really don't need to swap out anything suspension or brakes. The brakes on the P are pretty good. If anything wider discs just for more heat capacity. The suspension is actually pretty decent for what it can do, .95g on the skipad. How many suv's can do that for 65K? The suspension's weakness is with choppy and basically crappy roads. It handles them poorly, so we have to keep in mind that the thing is tuned for smooth roads where it can apply its tremendous grip. Complaints almost always come from owners who want their cake and eat it too. The dampers are analog so there's no chance of it being the best in any situation.

I don't really get the modding of a Y because it doesn't have track mode and it probably never will. If you are looking to make a track day weapon the M3P is the car to get not the Y.
Not looking to track it, but I'm coming from a Audi SQ5 which is a ton of fun to drive, speedy and handles great. Of course the All electric MY will have infinitely more torque, but was just wondering how to get that performance feel, without the $7k price tag. I'm going to rip those wheels off and probably put coilovers on it anyway, so was trying to save the money and just pay for what I want. I saw that Boost 50 and Ghost module so thought that might be a good option. But once you start adding all these things up they cost about the same as the extra $7k for the performance version.

If you buy get the Performance Model Y you can upgrade the wheels, tires, suspension and brakes as you see fit. You can sell the unwanted components. Also, if you wait for a new Long Range Model Y it will be April '22, at least 6 months wait. The lead time for a Performance Model Y is currently two months, December '21.

Reactions: thesmokingman
Not looking to track it, but I'm coming from a Audi SQ5 which is a ton of fun to drive, speedy and handles great. Of course the All electric MY will have infinitely more torque, but was just wondering how to get that performance feel, without the $7k price tag. I'm going to rip those wheels off and probably put coilovers on it anyway, so was trying to save the money and just pay for what I want. I saw that Boost 50 and Ghost module so thought that might be a good option. But once you start adding all these things up they cost about the same as the extra $7k for the performance version.
Iirc you have to buy both modules and it only works on specific LR with the 980 motor. Thus you could buy a LR and it ends up not having the 980 motor... sol. That said as you noticed those mods end up costing a lot more like 3700 together and the downsides, don't get caught in service with it installed. I haven't read of any bad outcomes but then again there's like 3 guys maybe that are going this route. In the end it makes no sense to me to get a LR whilst hoping for a 980, then do these mods to only equal a Performance.

Btw, the MYP will decimate your SQ5, you know right? Wasn't meant as a dig, just that there is a big difference between them so you might as well wait and see. You might find that you don't need to do much modding.

Last edited:
If you buy get the Performance Model Y you can upgrade the wheels, tires, suspension and brakes as you see fit. You can sell the unwanted components. Also, if you wait for a new Long Range Model Y it will be April '22, at least 6 months wait. The lead time for a Performance Model Y is currently two months, December '21.
This. Timing is everything.

That's a good point regarding the computer. I was looking into the Boost 50 or the ghost upgrade. But you're right, it would probably void the warranty. Looks like the "performance" model is about $7k more. Seems like a good bang for the buck actually. Coilovers would be about $1500, the boost module is $2400, brakes plus wheels would be like $2-3k anyway, So sounds like the performance is just worth it after all.
Get the P, get coilovers 3k-4k, sell wheels and get light 20s.
Otherwise get LR, get AB 2k, get coilovers 3-4k.

Good points everyone. Thank you. I'll probably order the MYP and get coilovers and new wheels. And yes, I know the MY or any EV car is much different than a combustion car. Not comparing apples to oranges. totally get it.
Last advice would be to ignore many threads. Forums can be useful as a great resource... but unfortunately also create misinformation and panic because of the variety of tastes and expectations from a large user base and 3rd party vendors selling solutions to "problems." Not saying their points aren't valid. They just aren't valid for everyone.

I think your plan is the right one. The MYP accelerates like a rocket ship and fits nearly as much as our old Chevy Tahoe.

Good points everyone. Thank you. I'll probably order the MYP and get coilovers and new wheels. And yes, I know the MY or any EV car is much different than a combustion car. Not comparing apples to oranges. totally get it.
Have you driven a Tesla yet? If not, go drive one ASAP. Then you'll get it.

Or don't, the wait will be slightly less excruciating. I refused to drive one until I got ours. I did ride in a M3P, so I had some idea.