TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Getting more gloss from XPEL

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by hiroshiy, Jul 11, 2015.

1. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

I have full body XPEL and satisfied with the quality of installation, and protection from scratches. Went through many hand washes, no apparent scratches at all.

However I think the XPEL surface lacks some of the gloss compared with normal paint with glass coating. When wet, it's great, but when dry it looks like a little bit dull and not sharp, not dramatic enough.

What do you think? Do I need to do some coating over XPEL? My installer didn't recommend any kind of coatings over XPEL.

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

From XPel's website, FAQs:

3. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Thanks, Bonnie. I would like to try regular carnauba type wax next time. The installer did the film sealant once but I felt that it's for protection, not gloss. What kind of wax do you think the best for more gloss?

4. EV_Steve

EV_Steve Member

I put a coat of CQuartz UK followed by Reload on mine after the Xpel. It really pops now.

5. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

CQuartz is a kind of glass coating, isn't it? My installer said glass coatings might disable the auto-repair feature of the XPEL.

6. stevem

stevem Member

My Xpel installer said to stay away from carnuba especially the yellow stuff. That can get "embedded in the pores" and turn the film a yellowish color. He said Meguires NXT works well on it (which I tried and it does), I also got some Menzerna which works well on it too.

7. ra-san

ra-san Member

Believe I saw the Xpel company rep on this site say that C.Quartz and the like would not mess up the auto-repair feature. My C.Quartz detailer confirmed the same when I had mine done, so no worries about that part. I can say first hand that on my car with xpel ultimate and c.Quartz, i've had bird/insect expulsions (whether they pooped, or just exploded when they hit :) ) on the film that's left an impression I could see immediately after cleaning, that then went away, so looks to me like the self healing still works.

That said, it's debatable whether you will get your money's worth doing a full C.Quartz vs. just doing reload - since the coating is going over the film, (I was told) it won't harden to the same degree as it would on paint, so it won't really last as long as it would on paint - but will still last longer and (in theory at least) look better for longer than reload. Check the cost deltas and do whatever feels right to you.

8. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Thanks, @stevem and @ra-san for additional information! Before reading the comments I already had carnauba wax! Will see if it turns yellowish.

Yeah I also "feel" that the glass coating may not last long.

9. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

10. stevem

stevem Member

There are different types of carnuba, some are more yellow than others and he said that "over a long time" it could happen. Like if I used that and only that for years, it could yellow it. It was less of a "OMG don't ever" and more of a "I would use this instead". You should be fine.

11. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Thank you for the advice. Trying to take a picture of my car with XPEL + Carnauba wax, I got rain this evening :)

12. Joseph Torbati

Joseph Torbati Local Vendor - NorCal

HI Hiroshiy,

As an Xpel installer and Coating expert. If your looking for some extra pop at home that is really easy I would use Car Pro Reload. Its wipe on wipe off application and Xpel loves it. For something a lot of protection you could have a pro install Opti coat Pro or Cquartz Finest which will add big bling and help keep it cleaner longer. They don't affect the self healing properties either I've tested it! Hope this helps

13. bjwModelS

bjwModelS Member

14. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

I've used zaino on xpel and it worked great.