Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting more gloss from XPEL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hiroshiy

I have full body XPEL and satisfied with the quality of installation, and protection from scratches. Went through many hand washes, no apparent scratches at all.

However I think the XPEL surface lacks some of the gloss compared with normal paint with glass coating. When wet, it's great, but when dry it looks like a little bit dull and not sharp, not dramatic enough.

What do you think? Do I need to do some coating over XPEL? My installer didn't recommend any kind of coatings over XPEL.

From XPel's website, FAQs:

"Can I wax the film when I wax the rest of the car?"

Unlike most paint protection films on the market, XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection film can be waxed and sealed just like your paint. Though XPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Sealant is still the preferred product, Any automotive wax or sealant may be used.

My Xpel installer said to stay away from carnuba especially the yellow stuff. That can get "embedded in the pores" and turn the film a yellowish color. He said Meguires NXT works well on it (which I tried and it does), I also got some Menzerna which works well on it too.

CQuartz is a kind of glass coating, isn't it? My installer said glass coatings might disable the auto-repair feature of the XPEL.
Believe I saw the Xpel company rep on this site say that C.Quartz and the like would not mess up the auto-repair feature. My C.Quartz detailer confirmed the same when I had mine done, so no worries about that part. I can say first hand that on my car with xpel ultimate and c.Quartz, i've had bird/insect expulsions (whether they pooped, or just exploded when they hit :) ) on the film that's left an impression I could see immediately after cleaning, that then went away, so looks to me like the self healing still works.

That said, it's debatable whether you will get your money's worth doing a full C.Quartz vs. just doing reload - since the coating is going over the film, (I was told) it won't harden to the same degree as it would on paint, so it won't really last as long as it would on paint - but will still last longer and (in theory at least) look better for longer than reload. Check the cost deltas and do whatever feels right to you.

I put 22PLE VX1 on top of my XPEL wrap and it looks awesome. 22ple VX1 Signature Glass Coating - 20 ml | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

IMG_7305.JPG

Reactions: davidc18
Thanks, @stevem and @ra-san for additional information! Before reading the comments I already had carnauba wax! Will see if it turns yellowish.

Yeah I also "feel" that the glass coating may not last long.

There are different types of carnuba, some are more yellow than others and he said that "over a long time" it could happen. Like if I used that and only that for years, it could yellow it. It was less of a "OMG don't ever" and more of a "I would use this instead". You should be fine.

HI Hiroshiy,

As an Xpel installer and Coating expert. If your looking for some extra pop at home that is really easy I would use Car Pro Reload. Its wipe on wipe off application and Xpel loves it. For something a lot of protection you could have a pro install Opti coat Pro or Cquartz Finest which will add big bling and help keep it cleaner longer. They don't affect the self healing properties either I've tested it! Hope this helps