Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting more Squeeze out of 120v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some pictures from a car 120v charging on substandard wiring (14 gauge instead of 12 gauge). ...

There's actually nothing wrong with 14 gauge wire for a 15a 120v circuit for car charging. I'd prefer 12 gauge, but most homes, like mine, will have 14 because that's all that NEC calls for. Your example simply has a bad wiring job. While checking the wiring is is always a good idea when adding a major load like a car, that fact remains that 117v is entirely normal and is not a sign of anything wrong whatsoever.

Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
Hell I saw 112v when charging at g-pa house over christmas, moved the car and shortened the extension cord to about 20ft and got it to 113/15ish and it did fine plugged in for 4 days straight. Also it was a repaired extension cord. :eek:

Other day I plugged in and was getting 232ish @ 40a, on a circuit rated for 100a.

I've also turned 5-20 into 240V and I sharpie 240V ONLY on the face plate. It's my house, if someone else is plugging a cord into my outlets they'll probably die from a bullet wound before a house fire. :rolleyes:

In the video, he has a 20a circuit with only one outlet on it that he changes out to a 5-20. He could have changed the breaker and the outlet and had a 6-20 which would have nearly tripled his charging speed.

Provided he had another breaker spot next to the single leg breaker he has now as the 6-20 will require a double breaker to pass both legs through.

All of these suggestions being put forth are all well and good for us geeks who like to build adapters and stretch the electrical code to the limit and beyond.

@Kenriko has a valid suggestion that most novices can do to get a mph of two of extra charging from a 120v outlet in many cases. Are there lots of variables that are not covered in the video that might make it not such a good idea? Maybe. But I don't really want to watch a video that is longer than the actual amount of time involved in making the electrical modification.

I think it's a good idea for people to explore.

Reactions: davewill