Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting my car tomorrow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure I fully understand but here goes it. The calendar will route a destination on the nav screen if you have an event that has a location. If that distance away from your current location requires charging, your X will route you to a charger before arriving. There is no way currently to have waypoints in the nav. Oh, and if the calendar has a time on the event, the nav will auto route when the time of your event is to start. This would always freak me out when there was a route selected and I didn't do it. You can however have several events with different destinations and select the next location after arrival to the first. Also keep in mind that you can use google to find location, then share that location to the tesla app. This will auto route your nav. You can also use the WEB, go to abetterrouteplanner.com and use this as a nav screen if you are trying multiple locations.
Hope this helps. Best of luck with your delivery.

Well, I have busy days that I have to map out. With gas, I don't need to adjust my appointment times. I can fill up in a few minutes anywhere. I have read it can take 45 minutes to fill up Tesla. So I need some way to map out my day and know how long I will need to get to the next appointment. I will travel 500+ miles 2 days a week with multiple stops. Hope that is more clear.

Well, I have busy days that I have to map out. With gas, I don't need to adjust my appointment times. I can fill up in a few minutes anywhere. I have read it can take 45 minutes to fill up Tesla. So I need some way to map out my day and know how long I will need to get to the next appointment. I will travel 500+ miles 2 days a week with multiple stops. Hope that is more clear.
Some what. From my experience when I do Uber/Lyft, I can be anywhere at any given time. When I take a break for lunch, I'm usually not far from an S/C and charge the car when getting a sandwich and using the restroom. in your example, you will need to look to determine what S/C are in around your commute and just plan a break somewhere there. There is the ole saying, know the ABC's of electric car ownership. Always Be Charging.

Try mapping out your day on A Better Routeplanner and see if that helps.

Reactions: henderrj
If I were driving 500+ miles two days a week not sure I’d get a Tesla, TBH. You’ll have to supercharge, I think, and doing that regularly isn’t great for the battery. Generally, it’s just going to mess with your schedule.

I am on my 4th Tesla and love them, but your use case may be tough.

If I were driving 500+ miles two days a week not sure I’d get a Tesla, TBH. You’ll have to supercharge, I think, and doing that regularly isn’t great for the battery. Generally, it’s just going to mess with your schedule.

I am on my 4th Tesla and love them, but your use case may be tough.

I can’t imagine driving something other than a Tesla for that kind of mileage. Autopilot and safety are at the top of my list of reasons, followed by low operating cost and minimal routine maintenance. A handful of 10-15 minute charging stops per week is not going to have a significant impact on the battery pack.

Fair points about AP, etc. As for battery effects, depends where you start, I guess. I don’t supercharge much and had 248 miles of range at delivery on my 2016 P90D and now have about 221. 10% over five years which, I guess isn’t bad. Off topic. Sorry.

Getting the car tomorrow. So forgive the dumb question. Can I rout my calendar for the day on pc and have it show me where I need to stop and charge? Then transfer it to the car?
No. You can plan on ABRP as mentioned but this will not transfer to the car and your car may suggest different stops because it doesn’t calculate the same as ABRP. And I believe the built in software only does 1 destination at a time so you won’t be able to plug in your stops for the whole day at the beginning. It you need to do the whole day for charger planning you’ll want to use ABRP on your phone and enter address into the car as needed for driving directions while following ABRP for advice on when to stop. Note that with ABRP you will want to add your return destination as your last stop or it will try to have you arrive at your final destination with 10% battery remaining unless you set it otherwise.

I think with time you will kind of get used to what you have to do. It is somewhat intimidating when you are first starting out. One of the things that helped me the best when I was a newbie was to change from miles to percent charge and keep an eye on that. The speed of supercharging depends on the percent charge when you arrive- it may take 15 minutes to charge from 20% up to 50% and then it slows down, it might take 45 minutes to go from 20% to 95%.

Also, my personal feeling is that an electric car is the best for that kind of driving- no gas or pollution (or at least minimal, you will still have tire pollution), and as mentioned, less wear and tear compared to an ICE car. Just my opinion. Driving around town on short trips with the AC on and doing errands also does not make me feel guilty. And, I get to enjoy driving the car! Additional benefit!

Reactions: elguapo