Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting my head around a trip to Leavenworth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We should be receiving our new Tesla in November. I currently drive an Escape Hybrid 4x4. We often like to take a little road trip in December from our home in Mill Creek, WA to Leavenworth to see the Christmas lights. This year that trip may be done in the Tesla.

I've logged hundreds of thousands of miles in road trips, but the Tesla is unique, and I'm having some difficulty picturing what the trip might be like. If anyone has advice for me around the questions below, I'd love to hear it.

1. evtripplanner.com says the route is just about 100 miles, and would average 250-370 WH/M depending on weather, but it only calculates to about 52F. It's not too unusual for the weather to be in the 20s when we've done this trip before; how can I expect that to affect my energy use (pack heater, cabin heater, snow on road, etc)?
  2. I assume from my quick checking that I'll need to top-up the battery somewhere along the line, particularly if we do any destination driving. Is it better to take a charge along the way, or count on a long charge while parked in Leavenworth?
  3. If we charge in Leavenworth, what's the recommended strategy/etiquette? Should we find a place to plug in, park, and then spend our day strolling around town? Or should I calculate just how little charge I can get away with, and re-park as soon as possible? Does the desire to preheat the car before we leave change that at all?
  4. We may be taking another couple and their toddler with us. The rear seat is certainly wide enough for the two of them and their daughter's carseat, but I wonder if they'll be comfortable heat-wise (we did not order the rear seat heaters).

I know that eventually I'll get the hang of this all-electric stuff, but the winter holidays are when we do a lot of travelling, and I want to learn as much as I can the "easy way".

Unless it's totally out-of-plan for your current thinking, I'd stay the night in Leavenworth (at somewhere offering at least 200+V/30A) so you can get a good 5+ hours of charging. When I went through there I only spend a couple hours and didn't get enough juice to make it comfortably where I wanted to go next.

The cold weather coupled with the up/down altitude activity is a double-whammy on the range efficiency. At least that was my experience coming up to Leavenworth and down from there to Wenatchee and then Ellensburg when the weather lowered into the mid-20s with snow on the ground.

Also, if he doesn't chime in on the thread you might want to scout the trip report from Francis Lau on TMC a bit back.

I definitely don't want to scare you off the trip. Just plan accordingly. Also, trips like this get easier as new charging stations open up. I haven't revisited the route (analytically or physically) to see if where new charging stations have popped up so definitely check out plugshare, etc.

Apparently brian's trip was before the CS-90 was available at the Icicle Village Resort. Good that you will have dual chargers as that will allow you to charge at 70 Amps - about 40 rated mph. It is not clear if that station is restricted to guests or not, but I think it is part of the North Central Washington high amperage L2 Charging Project. If so, it should be free and available to all.

Looks like an elevation gain of more than 4,000 feet that will cost you 40 rated miles or so. But, you should get about 15 miles back on the descent into Leavenworth.

I don't have experience with the cost of cabin and battery heating, but if the CS-90 is available to all, then perhaps a day trip is doable.

Edit: Added an elevation profile.

Attachments

• mill creek leavenworth.jpg
    mill creek leavenworth.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
I recently made a trip similar to what you are planning. It was from Clearview to Peshastin and back 210 miles total. Was conservative (ie speed limit with moderate acceleration) on the way over but had a little fun:wink: on the way back. Had three adults in the car and the weather was ideal, very little climate control was needed and it was midweek so no traffic delays on the way back. Started with 266 rated miles and arrived back home with 47 rated miles left. As for cold weather travel I had one trip to Cook Road last April in heavy rain at 34 degrees and five adults in the car and needed to use heat and defroster a lot and it really sucked the electrons, sorry I did not keep track of Wh per mile or the beginning and ending rated miles.

umuhk: I have made this trip about 15 times now. It is about 102 miles. The western slop is steeper so when you head eastward to Leavenworth you will consume plenty of kWhs. What is your rated Range: 265 or 175? Either one will get you to Leavenworth. The CS-90 (70A) at the Best Western Plus is free and open to all. I certainly recommend that you check in at the front desk and tell them how much you appreciate Best Western taking this action. Also, eat at their restaurant. I have been able to draw 43 miles per hour of charge there. There is a low amperage L2 (30A) behind city hall. My last trip was a week ago and the temperature was 46. On your return you will gain rated miles. In the seventeen miles from the summit to about Scenic I have gained 9 miles of rated range.

While charging in Leavenworth leave your cellphone number on the dash or driver side window so if a traveler needs a charge they can contact you. It is best IMO to figure how much charge you need then get off the charger so others have access. Pre-heating is less demanding on the battery if the car is connected to power, so I would reconnect an hour before departing.

Cabin heat is a big consumer of battery energy; we dress in layers (just like all other outdoor sports) and Charlene carries massively thick wool socks in the glove box!

Jack

PhilBa: The 70A charger at the Best Western in Leavenworth was purchased by the hotel from Sun Country Highway as part of the preparation for the Emazing EV Race. To my knowledge this is the only EVSE installation by Sun Country Highway on Highway 2. Because it is there we are shifting our focus to Coles Corner and Cashmere as possible sites on the eastern slope of Highway 2.