Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting new MCU2. What now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MCU1 on my 2016 75 AP1 is failing, getting worse all the time. Tesla has looked at it twice and will do nothing about it.

So...because of that, and the price drop, and the increased speed, I'm getting a MCU2 to replace it in a couple of weeks.

What to expect? For example...
- Will the backup camera be too dark to use?
- Will I have to wait for maps to upload before nav is good?
- Do I lose all my settings (garage, seat position memory, favorite destinations and stations)?
- Will I have to wait a while for camera recalibration before AP works?
- Other growing pains at first (how much like a brand new car is it)?

Inquiring minds want to know

My MCU1 on my 2016 75 AP1 is failing, getting worse all the time. Tesla has looked at it twice and will do nothing about it.

So...because of that, and the price drop, and the increased speed, I'm getting a MCU2 to replace it in a couple of weeks.

- Do I lose all my settings (garage, seat position memory, favorite destinations and stations)?

You may want to wait. A recall is coming and mcu2 price might be dropping more

- Will the backup camera be too dark to use? YES
- Will I have to wait for maps to upload before nav is good? YES, but it should happen within the first 24 hours but you HAVE to be on WIFI.
- Do I lose all my settings (garage, seat position memory, favorite destinations and stations)? More than likely YES. Take screen shots with your iPhone so you can put it all back manually afterwards.
- Will I have to wait a while for camera recalibration before AP works? YES, there are two calibrations, but they should calibrate within the first 10 to 15 mile drive. You will know when it's done as it will show it on the MCU if you go into your Settings for Autopilot.
- Other growing pains at first (how much like a brand new car is it)? You get access to all the cool games, all the awesome entertainment options and of course caraoke.

I did the MCU2 upgrade, and I'll be honest: I never would have even noticed the dark camera issue if I had not read it here. Might be because Ive yet to go into reverse in a pitch black environment.

My settings were all saved, except having to re-pair my phone.

Calibration completed within about 20 mins after I picked up the car.

MCU2 solved every single issue I was having with my MCU1.

Ive yet to play a single game or watch streaming video

Reactions: Dre78
Thanks, folks. I feel better. I keep remembering that my MCU1 is dying, many issues, but with no error message Tesla won't repair it. But I am getting a newer generation unit, which I suppose I might be doing anyway for what I think is a fair price even if I weren't having problems. I had a loaner a few weeks ago, a recent build, and the screen was like mine on steroids. That's probably what put me over the edge.