Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting "older" parts for 2018 - 2020 Model 3s in the future?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's say one of my headlights takes a dump 5 years from now. Am I going to be able to go to the service center and get the same "pre-update" headlight, or would I be cornered into getting the "updated" variant due to availability? Consequently having to buy two to avoid the car looking like a gimp?

The third party after-market parts become available when 1) manufacturer warranties start to expire and 2) the car model sells in sufficient numbers to support the after-market parts sales.

For sure, the Model 3 will be well supported based on the volume. You might not be able to buy an OEM version of a part but there will be comparable options. Just look at Porsche models.

Historically they couldnt even supply rivets for current models, nor many other spare parts.
Best of luck. Dont think they are interested in spares, but prove me wrong.
So you’re claiming that damaged Model 3s have had no availability of spare parts? It appears you’re just making a preposterous claim for humor. Except without the humor.

Let's say one of my headlights takes a dump 5 years from now. Am I going to be able to go to the service center and get the same "pre-update" headlight, or would I be cornered into getting the "updated" variant due to availability? Consequently having to buy two to avoid the car looking like a gimp?

US requirement for a manufacturer is 7 years. So that would be from the last model that used that part.

Correct. Finding parts for cars is an over-rated issue. I had a gen 1 Honda insight where they only sold 17,000 cars total in the entire production run of the car. I still had no issue getting parts.

To be fair, Honda is a broadly competent manufacturer with a good relationship to third-party parts suppliers. Tesla is a company that tries to do everything in house that they think makes sense, for better or for worse.

I’m not aware of any such law in the US requiring car manufacturers to maintain parts availability for a prescribed period of time. I think this is a myth that has been around for a long time and has been restated enough times that people just accept it as fact.

The only shred of truth that may apply is it’s possible that some other countries have such a mandate. If so, and if a manufacturer sells their cars in those countries, they would be required to keep parts available for those countries. And if they did, perhaps those parts could be used on the US versions of cars if they are compatible.

Otherwise, I think it’s more practical to assume that based on the volume of Model 3’s sold, either Tesla or a third party will continue to supply parts. Heck, you can still get replacement parts for a Delorean if you look hard enough.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I’m not aware of any such law in the US requiring car manufacturers to maintain parts availability for a prescribed period of time. I think this is a myth that has been around for a long time and has been restated enough times that people just accept it as fact.

The only shred of truth that may apply is it’s possible that some other countries have such a mandate. If so, and if a manufacturer sells their cars in those countries, they would be required to keep parts available for those countries. And if they did, perhaps those parts could be used on the US versions of cars if they are compatible.

Otherwise, I think it’s more practical to assume that based on the volume of Model 3’s sold, either Tesla or a third party will continue to supply parts. Heck, you can still get replacement parts for a Delorean if you look hard enough.

The only thing they might have to follow (in the US) is:

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

Nice discussion
The end says that Israel requires 7 years of parts from importers, and Tesla just set up shop in Israel.
Which is fine for esoteric parts but I'm betting on the 3rd party and used parts venues. One of the joys of owning a common car

The thing I am less sure about is non-stop tweaking of designs and parts. Unless Tesla is helpful in this regard it is going to be hard to be sure ahead of time that a part will fit.

Reactions: XPsionic
The third party after-market parts become available when 1) manufacturer warranties start to expire and 2) the car model sells in sufficient numbers to support the after-market parts sales.

For sure, the Model 3 will be well supported based on the volume. You might not be able to buy an OEM version of a part but there will be comparable options. Just look at Porsche models.
I guess that’s one good thing about model 3 being so popular. Supports will be very good in the future like it is with the Prius. At least in CA you can drive and see tons of mode 3 everywhere.