Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting pissed with degredation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this example that would indicate 66KWh total battery capacity at 100%

I did some sameples to get an average on a road trip I just did and I found my average 100% capacity is 65.85KWh vs. 75KWh, which is a 12.2% drop. I've attached a sma

Yeah that’s all exactly what you would expect. 287rmi is 70.3kWh.

So 67kWh between 100% and 0%.

To be fair you started with 78kWh/74.5kWh or so. But yeah, about 11%.

Quite normal, though below average, for a car of that age and mileage.

is 271 wh/mi. My max range at 100% soc is 276 miles as of this morning.

Impressive to put 50k miles on a car in a global pandemic! Good datapoint. You seem to be doing well. Just 13% capacity loss at 50k miles. Would love to see better but as they like to say “it is what it is.”

Seriously, seems quite normal, though I am sure there are those with better results. Probably just a few % better though.

@KenC here is one of the super gifted ones. The frigid Maine climate keeps his battery mummified. Also not many miles. But just based on age of vehicle alone he is doing well. I’ve seen very few reports that good.

In any case, overall nothing to worry about here. I’d say for sure capacity loss is higher on Model 3 than people originally expected, but not by a lot - at most perhaps just double what people generally hoped.

Last edited:
Does Tesla actively/dynamically add/reduce buffer like the newer Leaf?

For Model 3 (all battery sizes), the buffer below 0% is always 4.5% of the maximum available kWh at 100% charge. The % is different for other Tesla vehicles.

For example, if your AWD 2019 has 298 miles at 100%:
Max kWh is 73kWh
Buffer is 3.3kWh
Available energy from 100% to 0 is 69.7kWh

The EPA testing assumes you use the entire buffer, and drive until the car stops. The EPA test article, which had ~4000 miles on the odometer, had about 79-79.5kWh of energy extracted, but it's possible that that same vehicle had a "max kWh" of 78kWh as per the BMS (there may be some scaling difference between calibrated value extracted from battery measured with the Hiokis, and what the BMS reports; it's not clear how this works, but it's a small, relatively insignificant discrepancy.).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Impressive to put 50k miles on a car in a global pandemic! Good datapoint. You seem to be doing well. Just 13% capacity loss at 50k miles. Would love to see better but as they like to say “it is what it is.”

Thanks. I've had my car a little over 2 years now and do a 130 mile roundtrip commute to work so the miles add up fast. I'm daily charging between 20% to 80% (or sometimes 90%). My job wasn't really impacted by the pandemic, If anything I have been getting overtime and driving more frequently.

You're right, "it is what it is" as they say and I've stopped obsessing too much over degradation but still concerns me a little in the long run as I usually keep my cars as long as possible. I'd like to see myself driving this car everywhere as much as possible for as long as possible.

Edit: I just realized I put Sept 2019 build in my original comment. I actually have a Sept 2018 build. My bad. Probably why it seemed so impressive lol

Last edited:
TeslaFi says that for the SR+ the average is -7.8% of the whole fleet at 15.500miles or 25.000km...

That is alot if you adk me, totally way more then I expected ánd for me personally (-14%...!) really sad that Tesla just says that’s normal for a 3-2mo old car (yeah... bought the “cheaper” one, SR+, but didn’t even get a SR, but a SR-)

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: cdswm3 and hcdavis3