Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting PPF - valet mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am getting PPF and ceramic coating done next week. The car will be in the shop for 3 days. So when I hand over my car to the shop I turn valet mode on and give tHem my key card?

Also Can sentry mode be on so that I can observe that they aren’t doing any damage to my car accidentally?

I currently have my PPF and ceramic getting applied. I turned off sentry cause I was worried it would be constantly be going off and flashing during the process and would likely annoy the hell out of the shop. Would also drain your battery unnecessarily. One tip that I would suggest is taking a video recording of a walkaround of your car beforehand so you can thoroughly verify the condition of your car beforehand. Maybe take the video in the presence of a worker so it's irrefutable? But this feels a bit spicy tbh. Kinda tells them outright that you don't trust them lol. Ideally the shop has a good reputation that would put your mind at ease a bit.

Also would be pretty hard to tell if they're accidentally scratching your car with sentry cameras. Better off just taking a thorough video beforehand so you can prove its previous condition if needed.

Definitely understand the concern tho lol. I'm guessing this is similar to how parents feel when leaving their kids at daycare for the first time

Reactions: PatentNRG
If you are taking your car to a shop that you can't trust, I'd find another shop. Of course, accidents happen, but a reputable shop would immediately admit to any accident.

...and yes, what Hank Hill said. An accurate video of the car beforehand is useful, now and in the future...especially the wheels.

You need to disable valet mode so the techs can access the seams around the trunk. You can leave sentry mode on but it wastes up to 10% battery a day also cooling system will stay on to keep the MCU cooled (recording 24/7) so it might throw off the techs when the cars fan constantly turns on. Also note that the headlights flash every minute or so while you use live sentry mode.

A good shop will be removing the side cameras to wrap your car, they probably will not put them on until they are finished with the entire PPF so sentry mode would probably not benefit you unless any damage happens after the cameras are put back. I will however tell you that my Tesla app keeps blowing up with "Multiple doors have been left open' ever since i dropped my MYP off for full body PPF. :)

So that means they have access to all our contacts, home location and home link?
i don't know how many other ways we can word it, but yes. whatever access you have to your car with your key card, they will also have in order to do the work.

if you're this paranoid about it I suppose you could unsync your contacts, clear your browser history, and remove your home location, but this kind of access is very standard when ANY shop is doing ANY work on ANY car.