Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Prepared in Ottawa: HPWC, electrician & ranger service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I confirmed my order for a P85+ on Aug. 31st and am eagerly awaiting an e-mail with my pick-up date.

I am looking for a little advice on getting my HPWC installed and on ranger service.

I wanted to get twin chargers for my vehicle and they are now only available with the HPWC. I am thinking of maybe only setting up the HPWC for 40A continuous, 50A fused. Even then, I don't don't think I have enough capacity in my service. Anyone have a suggestion for a good electrician in Ottawa and thoughts on 40A vs. 80A?

I also have the option of getting annual service for 4 years for $2000 or with unlimited ranger service for $2500. I am comfortable with paying $2000 for the annual service to make sure the car is in top shape. Do people in Ottawa use ranger service or do they drive to the service station in Montreal or Toronto? Do you think ranger service is as good? For instance, I have read a lot about wheel alignment issues. Could ranger service properly deal with those issues?

Thanks

I am from the USA. I have the annual plan - bought it recently because the car (only 4montjs old with 8200 miles) needed an alignment.

The alignment can ONLY be done at the service center. From the agreement, the rotation and alignment "must be done at a tesla service center and cannot be performed by a ranger"

My recommendation on electricians is to get three or even four quotes. When I had my Roadster HPC installed I got four quotes and you wouldn't believe the range of prices I got - the highest was triple the lowest (I went with the second lowest).

For sure go with the Ranger service. The Ranger service is awesome - and $100 a year is a really good value! They'll send someone from Toronto or Montreal to do the work on your car, at your home or office. If they need to do something bigger they will come with a trailer and swap your car for a loaner, drive it to Toronto for service, and then swap back again.

Thanks for the advice.

Decided to get the 4-year service + 4 year extension without ranger service. I do want the car in top shape and kind of feel like I should lock in prices now given all the price increases going on all the time. I am hoping that we might get a service centre in Ottawa within 8 years and also don't know if I wouldn't upgrade to a newer model before then. I probably would have gotten the first 4 years with ranger service and the next 4 without but that wasn't an option. So I figure I can have 10 ranger visits in that time frame for the same price as paying in advance.

I do plan to go the the service centre annually to make sure the alignment is checked.