Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting ready for delivery, what should I buy ahead of time? :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting ready for delivery (in the next 10 to 20 days probably) of my SR+ (Blue on White) and I'm going to order a few extra's to be ready when I get it. Does anyone have any "must have" items that I'm forgetting from the list? Any suggestions to switch brands or go after market? Thanks!

• Tesla Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 adapter (having a 14-50 installed at home today)
  • Tesla Model 3 Carpet Interior Mats $95 (Do these secure down at all with snaps or a grippy backing or anything?)
  • Tesla Model 3 Wireless Phone Charger ($125) [Shipping in 2 to 3 weeks estimate ]
  • Model 3 Phone Charging Cable (Lightning -- The car doesn't come with this, right?)
  • Probably an Abstract Ocean Gen 3 Screen Protector (as soon as it's on sale... should i get matte?)
  • I'm debating getting the CHAdeMO Adapter, but I don't really wanna pay $450 if I don't need it. I may take a couple trips first and see how I do

Car Care
I was already quoted $1630 for a full front Xpel PPF application ($5552 for a full car application, which seems odd since there is so much glass on the car... it isn't applied to the glass too, is it?)
Some type of self home applied ceramic or gloss enhancer (Recommendation?)
I would like some type of interior protection for the white seats, any recommendations to something that's safe for them??

Wheels
Second set of 18" Aero wheels (hopefully used if I can find a good set) and Bridgestone WS90 winter tires

Looks like you have a good list, I'd do the all-weather mats instead of carpet if you're expecting any mud or snow and only the wireless phone charger instead of the charging cable.

The carpet mats do secure with hook and loop type pads, there are circles of the hooks and it secures to the "loops" of the general interior lining. I have the Nomad charger; it works great and I love not having to find the right place to put my phone. Some people might recommend the Jeda or Taptes for the landscape orientation purposes, but I find I use the built-in Tesla navigation more than Waze or Google Maps so I do not need landscape. Also I've read that the customer service for Taptes at least is pretty poor.

I have the matte screen protector and I've found it greatly helps with fingerprint reduction and reducing glare.
To that point, I'd also recommend getting a center console wrap similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Kenriko-Tesla-Model-Matte-Console/dp/B07F2Q2PP8/ because the piano black standard material is also a glare and fingerprint magnet. The white is also very nice and looks like it should have come that way from the factory.

CHAdeMO is really unnecessary unless you plan on going to Canada because superchargers are very prevalent in the US. The vast majority of level 2 charging is going to be J1772, and the Model 3 comes with an adapter for that standard. The power delivered will be less, but it's ideal for longer stops like a mall/movie/eating out.

I'd recommend also getting an SSD based external hard drive >256GB such as the Samsung T5 (500GB here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36/ it's been as cheap as $80 during a few sales) for DashCam and Sentry video purposes.

Looks like you have a good list, I'd do the all-weather mats instead of carpet if you're expecting any mud or snow and only the wireless phone charger instead of the charging cable.

The carpet mats do secure with hook and loop type pads, there are circles of the hooks and it secures to the "loops" of the general interior lining. I have the Nomad charger; it works great and I love not having to find the right place to put my phone. Some people might recommend the Jeda or Taptes for the landscape orientation purposes, but I find I use the built-in Tesla navigation more than Waze or Google Maps so I do not need landscape. Also I've read that the customer service for Taptes at least is pretty poor.

I have the matte screen protector and I've found it greatly helps with fingerprint reduction and reducing glare.
To that point, I'd also recommend getting a center console wrap similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Kenriko-Tesla-Model-Matte-Console/dp/B07F2Q2PP8/ because the piano black standard material is also a glare and fingerprint magnet. The white is also very nice and looks like it should have come that way from the factory.

CHAdeMO is really unnecessary unless you plan on going to Canada because superchargers are very prevalent in the US.

I'd recommend also getting an SSD based external hard drive >256GB such as the Samsung T5 (500GB here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36/ it's been as cheap as $80 during a few sales) for DashCam and Sentry video purposes.

Oh, good call! I forgot about DashCam/Sentry. Would you recommend SSD based vs USB flash drive (I was thinking about one of those low profile style ones but was a little worried about head). Is there somewhere the SSD can kind of "hide" out of view when plugged in? I just hate the look of cables spilling off a console or something.

I've thought about the console wrap... are they fairly easy to apply? Are they removable?

I doubt I'll use my phone in landscape, I more just want it staying charged while streaming music and full when I get somewhere. Honestly the cable probably would work for me, but I like the idea of wireless for in the car :p

Any issues with the Tesla one compared to 3rd party? Have people complained the Tesla one requires exact placement? Do the 3rd party ones fit perfectly and have the anti-slip material to hold the phone in place?

I'm getting ready for delivery (in the next 10 to 20 days probably) of my SR+ (Blue on White) and I'm going to order a few extra's to be ready when I get it. Does anyone have any "must have" items that I'm forgetting from the list? Any suggestions to switch brands or go after market? Thanks!

Smart move to have this installed before you get the car. More people should follow your example.

Just make sure the outlet installed is a good high quality outlet. Avoid the Leviton brand.

Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

I notice the Tesla wireless charger only charges the phones at 5 watt while the other two are 7.5 watt (and higher if using an AC power source). I actually prefer charging at the 5 watts to help protect my phones battery some and cut down on the heat being generated (again to protect the battery). Could be isolated case, but I quick charged one iPhone all the time and noticed a quick battery degradation, noticeable after about 8 months! The next phone I bought I've kept on the slower 5 watt USB charging and I've had it for almost a year and the battery seems rock solid (I don't notice any degradation and the Apple battery health setting shows 100% still... though I don't put a HUGE amount of weight behind that value).

Does the Tesla charging mat have specific issues, or do people just like the 3rd parties because it offers faster charger, landscape, cheaper price, etc?

I hope my electrician installs a high quality outlet. I told him a couple different times industrial grade and sent him the specs Tesla publish in their little PDF. If I get the crappy brand... is it a safety hazard, or could I use it? For reference I only plug/unplug my charger a handful of times a year (probably less then 10 time) and down the road I may buy a second mobile charger to keep with the car at all times.

Oh, good call! I forgot about DashCam/Sentry. Would you recommend SSD based vs USB flash drive (I was thinking about one of those low profile style ones but was a little worried about head). Is there somewhere the SSD can kind of "hide" out of view when plugged in? I just hate the look of cables spilling off a console or something.

I've thought about the console wrap... are they fairly easy to apply? Are they removable?

I doubt I'll use my phone in landscape, I more just want it staying charged while streaming music and full when I get somewhere. Honestly the cable probably would work for me, but I like the idea of wireless for in the car :p

Any issues with the Tesla one compared to 3rd party? Have people complained the Tesla one requires exact placement? Do the 3rd party ones fit perfectly and have the anti-slip material to hold the phone in place?

I recommend SSD just because then there's no question about how fast it writes contributing to the errors or corruption of data. The port to plug in the hard drive is below the phone tray, so all drives will be out of sight. You might want to get a USB splitter or hub if you intend to use TeslaCam and a wireless charging pad since you'll need 3 plugs and there are only 2 ports. Alternatively you can get a 12V outlet and run some USB extension cables to that area for the charger (that's what I did because I was having slight issues with the hard drive using a splitter, I think they may have fixed those issues in a software update however).

Console wrap takes patience and steady hands, my fiance did mine for me because I have neither. Definitely removable, it's just vinyl, would be similar to the Xpel PPF you are already doing.

I don't have the official Tesla one, the other brands work fine as far as I know. Nomad was just one of the first to market and I got my car in Sept 2018, so I wanted it earlier. Not having to find a plug to charge the phone is a joy. Honestly, the phone charging area should have come with the wireless charging instead of cables but I understand every creature comfort is extra cost and when trying to make a low-cost vehicle you have to pick and choose what to bring to the final product. The official one has features on the back that line up with mating holes that keep it from sliding around. The Nomad doesn't really move around unless I'm physically pushing it, so it's not much of a difference to me. Only complaint I have about the Nomad charger is that the white LED (when the phone is fully charged) is a bit bright.

For the dashcam/sentry you might want to look into using a fast SD memory card 128gb to 256gb in size. They can be had reasonably cheap and they are a lot more durable than a USB drive or ssd. Just get a USB sd card adapter for it to work.

Since you live up north and have to deal with snow, you might look into all-season floor mats instead of the carpeted mats!

I was also thinking about that, I have them in my Chevy Volt (they were a factory option and it was the only car on the lot) and in winter they actually were really nice... that said, I much prefer the look of carpet compared to those all season ones. I figured if they got rough looking from winter I could just pull them out and deep clean them (and worse case, replace them). We only get 10 to 12 days of snow/slush up here (eastern side of the state, it's dry usually)....

So still debating that, I mainly just want to protect the carpet bits that I can't easily remove/deep clean/replace :p

High quality USB drive or solid state USB drive or SSD drive are the best option
Personally I don't think wireless chargers are that useful, but a quality Lightning cable is a must
And if you can't find used aero wheels, new ones cost slightly over $200 each from Tesla :)

High quality USB drive or solid state USB drive or SSD drive are the best option
Personally I don't think wireless chargers are that useful, but a quality Lightning cable is a must
And if you can't find used aero wheels, new ones cost slightly over $200 each from Tesla :)

Is it possibly to purchase just the aero wheels from Tesla, or must they be purchased with a tire package? Do you know how much the TPMS sensors are from Tesla, or are they a common 3rd party manufacture that I can buy online or direct from someone else? :)

After factoring in shipping it looks like I'll be $200+/wheel with used ones (almost everyone sells them with tires, I don't need the all season tires so I would split the cost to have those removed before shipping).

get ready for an email in the next day or so saying it is ready :)

I actually think it already is ready, I'm kind of delaying things so I can "complete" the purchase after Aug 1st so I can get a sales tax credit in Washington state that's starting up again tomorrow. Apparently the car was sitting in an offsite lot in Portland and has already been moved to the Seattle area. I'm doing 3rd party delivery to my address and Tesla quoted anywhere from 7 to 10 days but said it's often sooner...

I have the charger installed for my Chevy Volt (this guy: EVduty https://www.elmec.ca/evduty-2/) I don't think I need to buy the one from Tesla? Just going to use the adapter. Nothing wrong with that?

I'll be using the mobile connector that came with the car and a 14-50 adapter that Tesla sells for ~$30. I only go on a handful of trips each year so I'll probably be ok with one charger and just unplugging it three or four times a year to toss in the car. I'll only buy another one from Tesla if I find that I want one in the car at all times or start taking more trips. (Around town the MOST I've done in a single day is about 50 or 60 miles, and if I'm leaving every day at 80% I'll have more then enough that I don't need to charge at work or when I'm out and about)

• Tesla Model 3 Carpet Interior Mats $95 (Do these secure down at all with snaps or a grippy backing or anything?)
  • Tesla Model 3 Wireless Phone Charger ($125) [Shipping in 2 to 3 weeks estimate ]
  • Model 3 Phone Charging Cable (Lightning -- The car doesn't come with this, right?)
  • Probably an Abstract Ocean Gen 3 Screen Protector (as soon as it's on sale... should i get matte?)
  • I'm debating getting the CHAdeMO Adapter, but I don't really wanna pay $450 if I don't need it. I may take a couple trips first and see how I do

Car Care
I was already quoted $1630 for a full front Xpel PPF application ($5552 for a full car application, which seems odd since there is so much glass on the car... it isn't applied to the glass too, is it?)
Some type of self home applied ceramic or gloss enhancer (Recommendation?)
I would like some type of interior protection for the white seats, any recommendations to something that's safe for them??

Wheels
Second set of 18" Aero wheels (hopefully used if I can find a good set) and Bridgestone WS90 winter tires

Congrats on the upcoming delivery and thank you for considering XPEL to protect your Model 3! Your pricing looks really good actually as the standard range we give for full frontal protection is $1895 - $2195. Full car wraps we usually put around $5000 - $7500. The most common packages for Teslas are the full front and rocker panels, or just to wrap the whole car. We also have interior kits for your interior trim pieces for added protection in the cabin.

As far as an at home ceramic or gloss enhancer, we have XPEL Ceramic Boost Spray. Tesla Forum users can use promo code "TeslaForum" at checkout to save 10% off their order. This applies to aftercare products, TRACWRAP, merchandise, and apparel.

You also may want to consider a professional ceramic coating on top of the XPEL PPF. Check out this video from YouTuber Engineering Explained (2.3m subs) on Everything You Need to Know About Ceramic Coatings.

Hope this info helps, let us know if we can answer any questions or be of any assistance.

Congrats on the upcoming delivery and thank you for considering XPEL to protect your Model 3! Your pricing looks really good actually as the standard range we give for full frontal protection is $1895 - $2195. Full car wraps we usually put around $5000 - $7500. The most common packages for Teslas are the full front and rocker panels, or just to wrap the whole car. We also have interior kits for your interior trim pieces for added protection in the cabin.

As far as an at home ceramic or gloss enhancer, we have XPEL Ceramic Boost Spray. Tesla Forum users can use promo code "TeslaForum" at checkout to save 10% off their order. This applies to aftercare products, TRACWRAP, merchandise, and apparel.

You also may want to consider a professional ceramic coating on top of the XPEL PPF. Check out this video from YouTuber Engineering Explained (2.3m subs) on Everything You Need to Know About Ceramic Coatings.

Hope this info helps, let us know if we can answer any questions or be of any assistance.

Does the Xpel Ultimate Plus block out UV light as well? I know they plan to put it on the headlights, but I'm wondering if that's more of just rock chip/scratch/sand blasting protection or if it will also help keep them clear by blocking the UV light and stuff from discoloring and hazing them over....