Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting ready for delivery, what should I buy ahead of time? :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the charger installed for my Chevy Volt (this guy: EVduty https://www.elmec.ca/evduty-2/) I don't think I need to buy the one from Tesla? Just going to use the adapter. Nothing wrong with that?
Like the Volt, the Tesla should include a mobile EVSE. If you already have one hardwired, then by all means use it with an adapter. Keep the Tesla's UMC in the trunk.

Reactions: Kappelan
Does the Xpel Ultimate Plus block out UV light as well? I know they plan to put it on the headlights, but I'm wondering if that's more of just rock chip/scratch/sand blasting protection or if it will also help keep them clear by blocking the UV light and stuff from discoloring and hazing them over....

The ULTIMATE PLUS film will prevent the headlights from being hazing or discoloring. :cool:

Is it possibly to purchase just the aero wheels from Tesla, or must they be purchased with a tire package? Do you know how much the TPMS sensors are from Tesla, or are they a common 3rd party manufacture that I can buy online or direct from someone else? :)

After factoring in shipping it looks like I'll be $200+/wheel with used ones (almost everyone sells them with tires, I don't need the all season tires so I would split the cost to have those removed before shipping).

AFAIK you can buy individual wheels from Tesla, I know because one of mine was scratched and I checked with them.

Maybe talk to the store ppl and see if they can order a set for you? Not sure about TPMS

Buying used wheels only makes sense if you want the stock tires

I would also get mats for the frunk and trunk. I got the Tesla carpet ones for the frunk and interior, but got the MaxSpider one for trunk area. I really like the MaxSpider mat, and sometimes wish I'd gotten them all around...but in SoCal all weather isn't really a big deal.

I was also pleased with the dress-up kit for the Aero wheels...but I'd hardly call that essential to buy before taking delivery.

I wonder if you need to spend another ~ $2k on plastic couch-
covers for the front of your car. It's softer than the clearcoat and
it stands to reason that it will require more delicate maintenance
to avoid looking like aging plastic. If the idea is to "protect the paint",
is the plan to rip it off at some point to enjoy the unmolested paint?
When? If not, why not simply take care of the finish and enjoy it now?
Do you plan to garage your car 24x7 and exhibit it at car shows?
With all the new "ceramic" coatings, not to speak of improving
sealants and waxes, and products like ONR, why bother with
one more element to spend money on and have to worry about ?

I wonder if you need to spend another ~ $2k on plastic couch-
covers for the front of your car. It's softer than the clearcoat and
it stands to reason that it will require more delicate maintenance
to avoid looking like aging plastic. If the idea is to "protect the paint",
is the plan to rip it off at some point to enjoy the unmolested paint?
When? If not, why not simply take care of the finish and enjoy it now?
Do you plan to garage your car 24x7 and exhibit it at car shows?
With all the new "ceramic" coatings, not to speak of improving
sealants and waxes, and products like ONR, why bother with
one more element to spend money on and have to worry about ?

The Xpel PPF is really to protect against rock chips on the front, haze/scratches on the headlights, and stuff like that. The car is garage kept so hopefully the paint will stay in pretty good condition, but protecting that leading edge is just something I want to do.

The ceramic coat is more of a visual enhancement that I’m thinking of going for. (And to ease cleaning some. I might be able to get away with just using a foam cannon for soap/soak, electric pressure washer, and then blow dry and never have to touch the surface so no swirls)

Reactions: alexGS
I would also get mats for the frunk and trunk. I got the Tesla carpet ones for the frunk and interior, but got the MaxSpider one for trunk area. I really like the MaxSpider mat, and sometimes wish I'd gotten them all around...but in SoCal all weather isn't really a big deal.

I was also pleased with the dress-up kit for the Aero wheels...but I'd hardly call that essential to buy before taking delivery.

Why do you recommend the MaxSpider? Any benefits, or just cheaper?

Thanks for all the good advice! Keep it coming if you have more!

Things are getting closer... just had my NEMA 14-50 installed (upside down though >.<) and a 20amp standard outlet for when I need to use my electric power washer to clean the car :p

Excited!

I'm getting ready for delivery (in the next 10 to 20 days probably) of my SR+ (Blue on White) and I'm going to order a few extra's to be ready when I get it. Does anyone have any "must have" items that I'm forgetting from the list? Any suggestions to switch brands or go after market? Thanks!

• Tesla Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 adapter (having a 14-50 installed at home today)
  • Tesla Model 3 Carpet Interior Mats $95 (Do these secure down at all with snaps or a grippy backing or anything?)
  • Tesla Model 3 Wireless Phone Charger ($125) [Shipping in 2 to 3 weeks estimate ]
  • Model 3 Phone Charging Cable (Lightning -- The car doesn't come with this, right?)
  • Probably an Abstract Ocean Gen 3 Screen Protector (as soon as it's on sale... should i get matte?)
  • I'm debating getting the CHAdeMO Adapter, but I don't really wanna pay $450 if I don't need it. I may take a couple trips first and see how I do

Car Care
I was already quoted $1630 for a full front Xpel PPF application ($5552 for a full car application, which seems odd since there is so much glass on the car... it isn't applied to the glass too, is it?)
Some type of self home applied ceramic or gloss enhancer (Recommendation?)
I would like some type of interior protection for the white seats, any recommendations to something that's safe for them??

Wheels
Second set of 18" Aero wheels (hopefully used if I can find a good set) and Bridgestone WS90 winter tires

Congratulations on your delivery!

We may be a bit biased but we vote front lip/front bumper protection. Our SLiPLO Do It Yourself Universal kit is a great way to protect your front bumper/lip as a skid plate.

Make sure you check under the undercarriage of the car for damage, seems like Tesla has an issue with their shippers using the jack points as tie downs and ripping holes in them!!!

I replied to my delivery guys email yesterday and mentioned that... he said he’ll try to note the account but he’s “never seen that happen before”. Then I found out it had already been moved from Portland to Seattle... hopefully in the proper way though...

I would buy the Tesla Shop rear rubber cargo mat. The trunk is felt-lined, so the cargo mat provides a tough, easily cleaned surface. It fits perfectly, and, best of all, it is made by Weather Tech and has a Tesla badge. Other members love the Maxspider liner, but I don’t see the advantage. The Maxspider is supposed to be good quality, but costs more and has a huge badge that reviewers have complained about.

I also love the sun visors as they add to the infrared and ultraviolet filtering of the glass roof.

I like the high power wall connector, but my car got here faster than the connector so I had to charge at 120v for 2 weeks.

Another vote for spending on the USB drive to get more speed, especially if you plan to also listen to music via the drive. Most USB sticks are terrible at reading/writing multiple files at once (the peak speeds listed in the drive's specs are for a single read/write at a time and they nosedive when splitting).

In a Tesla you'll have 3 video files writing simultaneously all the time, plus the music file read. You'd think Tesla would read the full song file into memory but apparently not--I get frequent skips when dashcam is on and I'm listening to USB music. Need to get a better drive myself.