Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting ready for my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For now it will be just 120v trickle and some local charging stations(grocery store and mall have them). Our daily mileage will easily be replenished over night.

We will be adding 220v to the garage soon for the Leaf and eventual M3.

I understand you have to send the charger away to have a 220v plug put on it and get a 120v pigtail. Do you know of other solutions?

We simply bought an EVSE from Clipper Creek. We had two NEMA 14-50's installed, so we bought a CC model with a 14-50 plug. We charge the Leaf with a 16A 240v model. The 120v cable that came with the vehicle is kept in the trunk.

Reactions: CTreast
We simply bought an EVSE from Clipper Creek. We had two NEMA 14-50's installed, so we bought a CC model with a 14-50 plug. We charge the Leaf with a 16A 240v model. The 120v cable that came with the vehicle is kept in the trunk.

There was a woman at the dealership that had a Leaf and she sent her stock charger cord to a company that replaced the 120v plug with a 240 and got a pigtail to plug the 240 into 120. I think they want $280 plus $25 for the pigtail. I might do it myself:)

It be nice to have a charger that stays in the car and one in the garage though.

Pretty much what I did too. Got a 14-50 plug installed and have a JuiceBox Pro 40A that I use for home charging. I keep the 120V EVSE in the car for when I need to charge elsewhere, usually at the offsite airport parking place when I'm traveling.

We use the Leaf for all our driving needs in the Metro, when we only need to take one vehicle. I guarantee you won't want to take the Kia if you don't have to.

The 30kWh battery wasn't offered before 2016, so he has the 24.

What are you doing for charging?

We also purchase wind power through Excel Energy, to offset our charging needs. Your utility may have a similar option.

You are correct, 24 kWh.

For now it will be just 120v trickle and some local charging stations(grocery store and mall have them). Our daily mileage will easily be replenished over night.

We will be adding 220v to the garage soon for the Leaf and eventual M3.

I understand you have to send the charger away to have a 220v plug put on it and get a 120v pigtail. Do you know of other solutions?

We used the OEM charger for the first month after we got the car and it worked fine. Plug in at night and it would charge in about 12 hours. I installed a GE EVSE on a 50 amp circuit and now we can charge from around 12 miles range to full in just a few hours. That's nice on the weekends when we haul the kids around we can top off pretty quick between activities. I plan to use the same charger for the Leaf and the Tesla. One is parked inside the garage, the other outside. Given the higher range of the Tesla it will need charging less often than the Leaf so swapping shouldn't be a big deal. Around here several Lunds/Byerlys grocery stores and Goodwil stores have free ChargePoint stations, too.

IMO, you should leave the OEM charger alone because it voids the warranty. Spend the money on an EVSE and you can use it for the Tesla and the Leaf. Convenience wise, it's very nice to keep the OEM charger in the trunk just in case.. without wrapping it up every morning!

I charge to 80% usually, as my commute is only 15 miles round trip. I charge to 100% only when driving to the airport which is about 45 miles away. Could get there on 80% but I'd rather not cut it close, or worry if I need to take a detour around traffic or something. I charge on 120V to 80% while I'm gone, then have it charge to 100% by sending a charge request from the Nissan app on the day I get back so I have a full charge for my drive home.

From what I've seen, generally charging to 100% isn't bad in and of itself. It's more the charging to 100% and then letting it sit there for days without driving it.

We used the OEM charger for the first month after we got the car and it worked fine. Plug in at night and it would charge in about 12 hours. I installed a GE EVSE on a 50 amp circuit and now we can charge from around 12 miles range to full in just a few hours. That's nice on the weekends when we haul the kids around we can top off pretty quick between activities. I plan to use the same charger for the Leaf and the Tesla. One is parked inside the garage, the other outside. Given the higher range of the Tesla it will need charging less often than the Leaf so swapping shouldn't be a big deal. Around here several Lunds/Byerlys grocery stores and Goodwil stores have free ChargePoint stations, too.

IMO, you should leave the OEM charger alone because it voids the warranty. Spend the money on an EVSE and you can use it for the Tesla and the Leaf. Convenience wise, it's very nice to keep the OEM charger in the trunk just in case.. without wrapping it up every morning!

You are probably right:). Will look into the other charger. Cheers.

Speaking of getting ready for the M3....does anyone know for sure that the MS and MX home charging unit that TESLA sells will work on the M3?

Any links?
No, I don't think anyone knows that for sure. In fact, the only thing I've heard about home charging is a story one person related about their electrician calling Tesla for more info (on model 3 charging) and being told not to do anything yet as nothing was finalized. With that being said, I'd be very surprised if they changed anything as there will be a lot people with both a MS/MX and M3 and making them set up two home charging infrastructures wouldn't be very nice.

I'd wait. Even if the current unit will work on the M3, why not wait until you're about to get your M3 in case they update the unit with new features/price/etc.

I chose not to wait and ordered the HPWC earlier this week.
I highly doubt that they will change the connector / interface as it will no longer be compatible with the superchargers.
Also, they very recently updated the HPWC, I doubt they will do it again in the next year.

I also opted to install this before the end of the year to take advantage of the Tax credit for "Alternative Fueling Infrastructure" that ends on Jan 1 2017. For my install of the HPWC and cabling, I'm nearly at $1000 just for parts. (fairly long run from the panel, and I'm going to set it up on a 70 amp breaker.) So the tax credit for that already covers half the cost of the HPWC.

Yes, I am taking a risk, but I believe the risks are low in my situation. If the tax credit didn't expire this year, I would certainly have waited.

Reactions: Red Sage
Congrats on the Leaf. I've had mine over 2 years and love it. Can't wait to get my 3 though.
Using a Juicebox right now for the leaf, just plan to share it with the Model 3 when I get it. Each car can charge every other night. I charge the leaf to 100% every other day on a timer that has it finish right before I leave in the morning.

Good, the regular setting seemed wimpy. Thanks.

You won't notice any real regen difference in Eco or B mode. Only Tesla has aggressive regen.

100%. AFAIK 2015+ models do not have an option to charge to 80%. Apparently Nissan decided that going to 100% isn't as hard on the battery as they thought.

That's not the reason I've read from Nissan.

"Customers who choose the Long Life Mode on the MY13 vehicle should know that the EPA testing methodology resulted in an estimated range of approximately 66 miles based on a single charge. Because of the vehicle owner’s ability to change the default 100 percent charging mode to the 80 percent Long Life Mode (which some current owners chose to do), the EPA decided the EPA label should display the mathematical average of the two modes using their testing methodology, which results in 75 miles of estimated range in a single charge.”

In 2012, the EPA's range test was based on a full 100% discharge of the battery. For 2013, EPA changed its rating and instead used a blend between what Nissan calls its “80% Long Life charging mode” and the “100% Long Distance Mode charging”. Combining the two modes, resulted in the EPA giving the Leaf a lower range rating of about 75 miles. Around this time, Tesla dropped the warnings we used to get when changing the battery slider to 100%, with speculation being that Tesla is probably also concerned about the EPA giving them a reduced rating like done to Nissan.

Nissan decided to sacrifice battery health for a better EPA rating in the US. Foreign Leaf vehicles still have the ability to charge to 80%

I'm planning to install a NEMA 14-50 rather than the HPWC in anticipation of the M3. I assume that there is less risk getting this installed this year to take advantage of the tax credit for "Alternative Fueling Infrastructure" that ends on Jan 1 2017.

Congrats on the Leaf. I've had mine over 2 years and love it. Can't wait to get my 3 though.
Using a Juicebox right now for the leaf, just plan to share it with the Model 3 when I get it. Each car can charge every other night. I charge the leaf to 100% every other day on a timer that has it finish right before I leave in the morning.

Thank you:)

I'm really looking forward to it. Pick it up on Monday.

I did not realize that the dealer gets the $7500 tax credit for leases. Going to try to negotiate a better lease rate with that info.

I chose not to wait and ordered the HPWC earlier this week.
I highly doubt that they will change the connector / interface as it will no longer be compatible with the superchargers.
Also, they very recently updated the HPWC, I doubt they will do it again in the next year.

I also opted to install this before the end of the year to take advantage of the Tax credit for "Alternative Fueling Infrastructure" that ends on Jan 1 2017. For my install of the HPWC and cabling, I'm nearly at $1000 just for parts. (fairly long run from the panel, and I'm going to set it up on a 70 amp breaker.) So the tax credit for that already covers half the cost of the HPWC.

Yes, I am taking a risk, but I believe the risks are low in my situation. If the tax credit didn't expire this year, I would certainly have waited.
I've decided to do this as well. My HPWC is going to be delivered on Thursday. I feel pretty confident it'll work fine with my M3 and I wanted to be sure I get the credit.