Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting ready .... need some outdoor charging suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I don’t have a Tesla yet, but my Jeep lease is ending soon and I want to get a Model 3.

car will be outside in the Boston area,,,so the car and charger will see all 4 seasons.

Any suggestions on what you think might be my best option for setting up an outside plug/charger would be greatly appreciated.

picture provided to see what I’m working with.

Attachments

• 29C98097-B0B4-4D23-A8E9-DAB9AD62D0B7.jpeg
    29C98097-B0B4-4D23-A8E9-DAB9AD62D0B7.jpeg
    892.5 KB · Views: 158
E6ECEA89-0D40-42BE-A96F-07F4D502CAEB.jpeg
A5436A53-61E1-4A1A-B113-8F2512CA0ED9.jpeg
48386CC3-3C3F-4978-8D46-EF20445D9869.jpeg
I ran 50’ of three 6 gauge THHN wires and a 8 gauge ground a in metal flex to a NEMA 14-50 outlet with a 50 amp GFIC breaker on the electrical panel. I purchased a Gen-1 40 amp charger on eBay for $200 and the wire, breaker, flex, box and outlet were about $250.

So all in $450

Reactions: GSP and ucmndd
The side with the stairs shows alot of paint weathering. You might want to consider putting your NEMA 14-50 box on the other side, seems more protected. My NEMA 14-50 box is a little larger than the one @MRGEDU has. It's an Eaton that I picked up at HD or Lowes for less than $30.

I could not justify a $500 Tesla Wall Connector that can only provide 8 more amps (48 total) for $300 more. With that being said, I wired it so I can switch to at Wall Connector if I want to later. If you are putting in a 50 amp outlet go with 4/4 ROMEX or 6 gauge THHN in conduit (depending on the length of your run and a whole lot of other factors... consult a professional if you need to).
If you want links to everything i purchased, let me know. Amazon is usually much less than your local Lowes or Home Depot.

I had a 48' run from the electrical box to the 14-50 outlet.
You can run all the same color THHN if you ID them with colored electrical tape at the end, I happen to find 3 color wire for a good price.
You can possibly run 8 gauge wire as well in conduit, but you will be limited to 50 amps in the future.
- Ampacity Charts - Cerrowire

I went with flex and #6 because, I believe its better to use the 6 gauge wire in conduit since it will provide you with the most options in the future and it should only be about $35 more plus its a little safer. 6/4 ROMEX is also an option, but you will still be limited to 50 amps in the future, it usually costs more and builds up more heat.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Parts list --

TayMac MX7200 Jumbo 2-Gang Weatherproof In-Use Cover, Extra Duty, Vertical, 55-in-1, 5-1/8 in. Deep, Gray,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FWD3FKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sigma Electric, Gray 14352 3/4-Inch 3 Hole 2-Gang Box
https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Electr...+3+Hole+2-Gang+Box&qid=1570970632&s=hi&sr=1-1

50' EA THHN THWN 6 AWG Gauge Black White RED Stranded Copper Building Wire
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQP6SR7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Southwire 55082305 AL flex Fo7500050M Type Rwa Reduced Wall Flexible Conduit, 3/4 In X 50 Ft, Aluminum
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FYI6GY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

THE CIMPLE CO - Solid Copper Grounding Wire - Proudly Made in America - Ground Protection Satellite Dish Off-Air TV Signal - UV Jacketed Antenna Electrical Shock # 10 Gauge AWG THHN - Green 50 FT
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J2UOX8I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will need a breaker like this one (but it will need to match your electrical panel)
Siemens QF250A 50 Amp, 2 Pole, 120V, 10,000 AIC Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H04XG6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Leviton 279-S00 50 Amp, 125/250V, Nema 14-50R, 3P, 4W, Flush Mounting Receptacle, Straight Blade, Industrial Grade, Grounding, Side Wired, Steel Strap, Black
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9FC5AR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purchased this so I can use the outlet for other things as needed. (not required but worth it)
Epicord RV Cord RV Y Adapter Cord 50 Amp Male Plug(14-50P) to 2 Female Connector (50M152F)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CQKJ8M1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
When budgeting 14-50 vs. wall connector, not that it pays the difference but the wall connector needs one less large wire which will likely offset the cost of larger wire the wall connector can use for more available amperage, and a good 14-50 outlet that will handle a lot of R&R cycles is like $70 not the $8 one at the local big box store so the cost difference is less than usually quoted.
Wall connector is still clearly more expensive, not saying otherwise.
Also don't you think it short sighted to only consider the car you have today if going to run wire? At some point isn't it reasonably possible you will add a second EV or that you or a guest will have a car capable of using more power than the one today does?

Not saying everyone has to install a HCWC on a 100amp circuit but I am saying at least think about it, load sharing ability might pay off in the future, maybe an overnight guest could use a faster charge rate. Maybe later you get a vehicle that can accept more amperage.

Reactions: Runt8
@Jones0812, your situation is similar to mine (driveway that abuts the house, but no garage), and in similar weather. (I live in northern Rhode Island.) I have a Clipper Creek HCS-40, which is a J1772 EVSE with a NEMA 4 enclosure rating. I bought it for use with a Chevy Volt that I drove prior to my Tesla, and a Tesla Wall Connector doesn't provide enough benefit to be worth the cost and hassle of replacing the Clipper Creek.

In any event, I recommend against installing a NEMA 14-50 or similar plug and using the Mobile Connector. The main reason is that the Mobile Connector has no official rating for outdoor use. Thus, you'll be plugging and unplugging it frequently to avoid using it in rain or snow, and almost certainly forgetting every once in a while; you'll have to find some way to protect it from the elements, like a NEMA 3R or NEMA 4 enclosure; or you'll be risking its failure because of exposure to harsh weather. Although there are people who've used the Mobile Connector outdoors for months or even years without failures, I've also seen reports of failures when they're used in those conditions. (Sorry, I don't have references for such problems.)

Tesla's Wall Connector has a NEMA 3R weather rating, which means it protects its innards from most types of weather. A NEMA 4 rating is a little better (mostly it'll protect better against power washers and the like), but anything with a NEMA 3R or 4 rating should be fine for your needs. Note that if you buy a Wall Connector, that'll also mean you'll have your Mobile Connector to use in a pinch -- say, if the Wall Connector fails. Even a slow charge off of a NEMA 5-15 120v outlet will be better than nothing. If you rely on the Mobile Connector that comes with the car, you'll be in a pinch if the Mobile Connector fails, until you can get a replacement. This issue might not be such a big deal if you use the Mobile Connector in a tame environment like a garage, but outdoor use increases the risks of failure.

If you do opt to stick with the Mobile Connector, I strongly suggest you get a NEMA 3R or NEMA 4 enclosure to keep the weather away from it.

When budgeting 14-50 vs. wall connector, not that it pays the difference but the wall connector needs one less large wire which will likely offset the cost of larger wire the wall connector can use for more available amperage, and a good 14-50 outlet that will handle a lot of R&R cycles is like $70 not the $8 one at the local big box store so the cost difference is less than usually quoted.
Wall connector is still clearly more expensive, not saying otherwise.
Also don't you think it short sighted to only consider the car you have today if going to run wire? At some point isn't it reasonably possible you will add a second EV or that you or a guest will have a car capable of using more power than the one today does?

Not saying everyone has to install a HCWC on a 100amp circuit but I am saying at least think about it, load sharing ability might pay off in the future, maybe an overnight guest could use a faster charge rate. Maybe later you get a vehicle that can accept more amperage.
this is why I am doing my homework now....I want to make sure my solution is solid and can work with whatever I might need going forward.

@Jones0812, your situation is similar to mine (driveway that abuts the house, but no garage), and in similar weather. (I live in northern Rhode Island.) I have a Clipper Creek HCS-40, which is a J1772 EVSE with a NEMA 4 enclosure rating. I bought it for use with a Chevy Volt that I drove prior to my Tesla, and a Tesla Wall Connector doesn't provide enough benefit to be worth the cost and hassle of replacing the Clipper Creek.
Cool, do you have a picture of your setup. The reason I was thinking of a plug and mobile connector was to not have the cord laying around on the ground since I most likely will be installing this only a few feet off the ground....On the front of the house there is a soffit that will help protect it a bit.

I have a dedicated Gen-1 40 Amp Tesla charger that I usually do not unplug. The cover, box and breaker is rated for outside as well as the GEN-1 mobile charger. Yes you can place everything in a enclosure but the boxes are big and not needed but if you have the room and don't care about the size it will work.

Running a 100 amp continuous service line would require 3 gauge THHN plus 1' conduit which would be about $8.50 a foot on the low end.

Logically if you have 2 cars that can charge at 48 amps and have 2 wall connectors, you would still only be able to pull 80 amps continuously. If you have the room in your electrical box, it would be more cost effective to run 2 circuits with 8 gauge wire to supply 100 amps with 80 amps being continuous.

I have analyzed this for about 6 months before I purchased my car. Since I was able to do the work myself, 6 gauge gave me the option of a Tesla Wall Connector in the future, but honestly going from 40 amps to 48 amps would only yield about 6 miles per hour charging which doesn’t impact me since I only have one rate for electric and the slight boost in charge speed doesn’t matter that much. The cost to benefit ratio tips at the Gen-1 mobile charger with its ability to charge at 40 amps and the ability to find them for around $200.

It’s funny how a car is forcing so many people to learn about electrical standards and codes.

Reactions: GOVA
Cool, do you have a picture of your setup. The reason I was thinking of a plug and mobile connector was to not have the cord laying around on the ground since I most likely will be installing this only a few feet off the ground....On the front of the house there is a soffit that will help protect it a bit.

Sure; here it is....

View media item 120462
You can see the Clipper Creek HCS-40 on the side of my house. It'd be a little more convenient if the Tesla's charge port was at the front rather than the rear, but that's a first-world problem if ever there was one. I've survived three winters like this with a Chevy Volt and didn't have any trouble keeping it fully charged, so I expect no problems with my Tesla.

There's a small oddly-shaped thing to the right of the EVSE in the photo. That's the holster for the J1772 plug. Clipper Creek's holsters are pretty deep and provide better weather protection than most. Tesla's Wall Connector has a built-in holster in its side (as do some J1772 EVSEs). FWIW, I 3D printed an adapter to enable me to mount the J1772 plug plus its Tesla adapter in the Clipper Creek J1772 holster. This has worked fine for me so far. Of course, if you use either a Wall Connector or Mobile Connector, you won't need such a thing, unless maybe you thought the Clipper Creek holster might provide better weather protection, and therefore wanted to buy one for use with a Tesla EVSE. In any event, the charge cable loops around the Clipper Creek EVSE so it doesn't droop on the ground, except when it's run to the car, as it is in this photo. Tesla's Wall Connector is designed to be used in the same way. Many people who permanently mount their Mobile Connectors use something like Tesla's Cable Organizer, or a garden hose hanger, to keep the cable organized. If you were to try to use your Mobile Connector, I'd suggest the former, or get a big enough NEMA 3R or NEMA 4 enclosure to hold everything, to keep the Tesla car plug end out of the worst of the elements.

Cool, thanks. I think I might go the outlet route. That way I am not locked to a dedicated charger and if anyone I knows that doesn't have a Tesla can plug in.

@MRGEDU that would be great if you had the links

You can either:

(1) Install a dedicated Tesla EVSE, and then get a J1772 adapter for the friends/family that may stop by that need a charge

(2) Install a J1772 EVSE and get a Tesla adapter for it!

Same breaker, same capacity, the 6-50 is a three wire outlet vs 4-wire for the 14-50. EVs do not use the 4th wire anyway.

14-50 was king because it was supplied with the cars for years but not now.

That said I might be inclined to pull the 4th wire anyway just for flexibility on the circuit later.