Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting ready .... need some outdoor charging suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought this was an interesting video. It was posted on Youtube by Rich from Rich Rebuilds, a famous youtuber who rebuilt a salvaged Model S. In this particular video, he talks about how he had a Tesla Wall Connector for about a year and it worked fine, but then harsh winter weather caused water intrusion and "the red light of death".

My point in sharing this video is to suggest at a minimum you get the Tesla Wall Connector since you live in Boston and you may want to get a non-Tesla connector that has the 4R rating (one above Tesla's 3R).

OK, think I am ordering in a few weeks....but now I see people talking about a 6-50 vs a 14-50. Now I need to see what I should look at to install.....LOL

6-50 is more commonly used for welders. 14-50 seems much more common for EVs and (increasingly) campgrounds. I have both adapters as there are a couple of routes where range could be an issue and I know I can find a 6-50 in almost any welding or machine shop. Never had to use it though. If "people are talking about 6-50" I wonder if it may be the result of the 14-50 being sold out at Tesla.

I thought this was an interesting video. It was posted on Youtube by Rich from Rich Rebuilds, a famous youtuber who rebuilt a salvaged Model S. In this particular video, he talks about how he had a Tesla Wall Connector for about a year and it worked fine, but then harsh winter weather caused water intrusion and "the red light of death".

My point in sharing this video is to suggest at a minimum you get the Tesla Wall Connector since you live in Boston and you may want to get a non-Tesla connector that has the 4R rating (one above Tesla's 3R).

I've used on of the "Wattzilla" chargers he mentioned at the end of the video. But I found that the coiled cable is very heavy and exerts a lot of downward force at the connection of the charger handle to the vehicle. I'd be uncomfortable using that too fequently.

Well, the more I think about it I see 2 options.

1: Get a 50A 14-50 and plug/ unplug my mobile adapter as needed. Only issue is that as stated it is not weatherproof. Run the risk of outlet wear/ damage and or mobile adapter damage due to weather.

2: Get the wall connector...more cost but looks nicer and is weatherproof....but will be visible at all times and most likely on the front of my house as the front has an overhang and will protect it somewhat.

Well, the more I think about it I see 2 options.

1: Get a 50A 14-50 and plug/ unplug my mobile adapter as needed. Only issue is that as stated it is not weatherproof. Run the risk of outlet wear/ damage and or mobile adapter damage due to weather.

2: Get the wall connector...more cost but looks nicer and is weatherproof....but will be visible at all times and most likely on the front of my house as the front has an overhang and will protect it somewhat.
You could also put the outlet and mobile connector inside a weatherproof enclosure, but I'd just go with a wall connector if I wanted charging outside.

One thought might be to plug the mobile connector inside the garage and pass the cord through a "port" in the wall. I'd still like some type of enclosure over the coiled cord on the outside. And some sort of switch on the inside (a breaker could work, but I don't think they're designed to be turned on and off frequently).

One thought might be to plug the mobile connector inside the garage and pass the cord through a "port" in the wall. I'd still like some type of enclosure over the coiled cord on the outside. And some sort of switch on the inside (a breaker could work, but I don't think they're designed to be turned on and off frequently).

No garage sadly....The more I think about it the wall connector makes more sense. I assume I will need to charge multiple times a week so having to keep taking the mobile charger out of the car and plug it in then unplug and put it back in the car might get old real quick.

Reactions: Rocky_H
No garage sadly....The more I think about it the wall connector makes more sense. I assume I will need to charge multiple times a week so having to keep taking the mobile charger out of the car and plug it in then unplug and put it back in the car might get old real quick.

I don't keep my mobile connector in the car when driving around town. Or even on short, frequent road trips along familiar route. Just my J1772 adapter. But I think you're right that the wall connector is best option.

For inspiration: Plans and Tips for Library Builders - Little Free Library

I don't keep my mobile connector in the car when driving around town. Or even on short, frequent road trips along familiar route. Just my J1772 adapter. But I think you're right that the wall connector is best option.

For inspiration: Plans and Tips for Library Builders - Little Free Library

Yeah, with no easy location to store the mobile connector other than in the car I would need to leave it plugged in and kinda coil it on the ground near the outlet

Yeah, with no easy location to store the mobile connector other than in the car I would need to leave it plugged in and kinda coil it on the ground near the outlet

You can probably find some sort of solution to coil the cord on the wall, getting it off the ground. But another nice feature of the wall connector is that the cord wraps around the body of the wall connector, so the cord storage solution is built into the design. I have the extra long 24 ft cord and the entire cord wraps around the body of the wall connector.

IMO, the wall connector comes closest to the experience of having your own "fuel pump" at home. You don't have to take your UMC out of the trunk or plug anything in or out. Just park your car and plug it into the car charger.

Last point, there are times when the extra charging capacity of the wall connector comes in handy. Yesterday, I drove 165 miles in the morning and then had to leave again to drive another 100 miles 2 hours later. The additional miles I got while charging at 48 amps gave me a little more peace of mind.