Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Ready to Order a 2nd Tesla - Model X or Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This decision really depends on what your needs are, for me the X and the S are two different vehicles. I want one of each, the Model S is a beautiful sedan and for a car that weighs 4500 lbs. drives incredibly well. The X is more utility and since my Model S is an early one I do not have all the goodies including AWD so for going to the snow the X fits the bill. As far as driving and interior since I have only seen pictures and a brief look at the reveal cannot make any comments yet. The X will be for my wife and dog so once we get it she will let me know her thoughts. If she's happy I'm happy.

Merrill, thanks for your input. Yeah, as I said earlier, the wife confiscated the MX as we were ordering it. But, I am sure I will be able to ride shotgun a time or two.
This decision really depends on what your needs are, for me the X and the S are two different vehicles. I want one of each, the Model S is a beautiful sedan and for a car that weighs 4500 lbs. drives incredibly well. The X is more utility and since my Model S is an early one I do not have all the goodies including AWD so for going to the snow the X fits the bill. As far as driving and interior since I have only seen pictures and a brief look at the reveal cannot make any comments yet. The X will be for my wife and dog so once we get it she will let me know her thoughts. If she's happy I'm happy.

...Mark Z - I have been scouring the internet looking at the hundreds of used MS for sale. What do I lose by buying a 2014 or earlier 85KW MS versus a 2015 85KW/90KW? What about Dual Motors, are they worth it?...
I suggest used only due to price. My Model X Signature P85 still has good range and the single motor is quiet. But it is the value that makes the difference. If Tesla considers it worth about $55,000 with about 57,000 miles, that is a good deal compared with a newer Model S if you don't mind having less features. Just watch for the battery version. Mine is an "A" version so only 90 kW will flow at the Supercharger. Not a big deal, but it is something to avoid. The version "A" cars are perfectly fine, but you may have to wait 5 or 10 minutes longer for a 90% charge.

Keep in mind, Model X will take longer to charge because the 90 kW battery is larger. When I had 81 miles left, it took 45 minutes to 90% at the Supercharger. My old Model S is similar depending on the amount of kW available during the charge.

One other thing...A dual motor vehicle with AP should have more resale value overtime. So many things to consider compared with the early days. Get lots of advice and choose what will make you and your riders happy no matter what the make or model is.