Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Ready to Order a 2nd Tesla - Model X or Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, we have our Model X on order and just awaiting the production/delivery schedule to be assigned. So, I thought now would be a good time to start planning for the second EV. The question is to those that now have both a Model X and a Model S. Can you please provide your insight into which one you would recommend and why? Much Appreciated. Oh, yes, we have driven the MS P85D, but have only been able to look at a Model X, not sit in or ride in one.

I have an X and have driven several model S. I would take the X over the S without blinking. The added utility of 6/7 seats, ability to tow, extra head room, BigSky windshield, cooled seats, falcon wing doors etc are all factors in favor of the X. The S has more cargo room if you need to fold down the seats and haul something large.

If you find yourself in the Clearwater area, you are welcome to come see my X.

MikeJr74 - what is your need? Two MXs is a pretty cool setup, but having a MS as an option is great, in my opinion. I haven't taken delivery of my MX yet, but I'm looking forward to having a sedan and a CUV. It's hard to suggest without knowing what your needs are.

MikeJr74 - what is your need? Two MXs is a pretty cool setup, but having a MS as an option is great, in my opinion. I haven't taken delivery of my MX yet, but I'm looking forward to having a sedan and a CUV. It's hard to suggest without knowing what your needs are.

I agree here. If you are looking for a long-distance road trip car for two with luggage, golf clubs, that sort of thing, the S is a good option to have for its longer range giving you more options. If you and the other driver both need the ride height passenger capacity and/or ease of people loading, and overall (but not large) cargo capacity, the MX is a better choice.

Those who are considering Model S or X, consider a used Model S for optimal money savings. If the order is only for new, then Model X does make sense with the additional seating space and ease of entry. Check the cargo capacity, that may be the deciding factor.

I have an X and have driven several model S. I would take the X over the S without blinking. The added utility of 6/7 seats, ability to tow, extra head room, BigSky windshield, cooled seats, falcon wing doors etc are all factors in favor of the X. The S has more cargo room if you need to fold down the seats and haul something large.

I've been thinking about switching my S to an X but I think you may be a bit bias on the pro's vs con's lol.

The utility of 6/7 seats really only applies to those with large families, you can tow with the S up to 2,000 with a cheap upgrade, extra head room in the X is nice, BigSky windshield is nice but not convinced it's better than a panoramic roof that can open, cooled seats a nice plus for the X, don't forget about LED headlights are nicer on X, better cabin filtration on the X, falcon wing doors can be considered a liability by some (especially those that would rarely if ever put kids in the third row), like you said the S has better larger cargo and you can sleep in the back which you can't do in the X, the S has better acceleration, the S has better range, the S is cheaper, the S is lighter which means it will handle slightly better and wear out tires slightly less quickly, the S is generally considered better looking and insurance is higher on the X.

The X is a different kind of car of course, but isn't automatically better by only listing it's pro's versus the S and not any con's.

What to order is a complex decision. Both are excellent choices.

Here is my thought. If you order an X today you are a year away from delivery. Based on past Model S upgrade history the S that will ship a year from now will be a different car than the S that is shipping today. So if you are making a new S or new X comparison decision you are looking at what will be available at the end of 2016 not what can be delivered today.

I agree with MarkZ. Look at a CPO S if you need something today. All things considered I still think the P85+ is the best driving car Tesla has ever made. But then all the newer tech is also pretty enticing.

MaxK - Thanks for the offer. We may take you up on that offer, if Tesla does not have another MX showing. Missed out on the Dania Beach invite as it filled in just minutes of the email being sent.

- - - Updated - - -

ohmman - I have no real needs. I love sedans. Had an AMG S63 for a couple years. But, both the MX and MS are appealing. The wife confiscated the MX we have on order, so now I am left deciding if we want matching vehicles or a CUV and a sedan. I just don't want to sacrifice comfort, features and style.

- - - Updated - - -

Mark Z - I have been scouring the internet looking at the hundreds of used MS for sale. What do I lose by buying a 2014 or earlier 85KW MS versus a 2015 85KW/90KW? What about Dual Motors, are they worth it?
Those who are considering Model S or X, consider a used Model S for optimal money savings. If the order is only for new, then Model X does make sense with the additional seating space and ease of entry. Check the cargo capacity, that may be the deciding factor.

- - - Updated - - -

Roamer - Thanks for the thoughts. What do I lose with a used P85+ compared to a newer model?
What to order is a complex decision. Both are excellent choices.

Here is my thought. If you order an X today you are a year away from delivery. Based on past Model S upgrade history the S that will ship a year from now will be a different car than the S that is shipping today. So if you are making a new S or new X comparison decision you are looking at what will be available at the end of 2016 not what can be delivered today.

I agree with MarkZ. Look at a CPO S if you need something today. All things considered I still think the P85+ is the best driving car Tesla has ever made. But then all the newer tech is also pretty enticing.