Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting refund for roadster reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tweeted Elon on the chance he might want to do a good deed.
Tesla is sufficiently disorganized that they have messed up on very serious things. You are unfortunately right that taking them to court may be the only way to get them to *notice* how messed up their internal processes are. Be assured that they intend to do the right thing, but you still may have to file a lawsuit to get them to do it just because of sheer chaotic disorganization.

I have found that Tesla is more efficient at issuing refunds by paper check, so maybe you should just get that done.
Elon

Reactions: AtAge19
The credit card refund for the roadster didn't went through so I had to contact the finance team and getting them to check a second time.. I finally saw it in my credit card statement on the 23rd of october, so i took it 9 working days. Good news i was able to invest the 211 000 EUR at an average price of 271 USD per share.

At what point will those of you who have reservations decide to pull the plug? I'm as big of a supporter as most here and I'm not yet worried about the thought of losing my $50K deposit...on paper I've lost a few Roadsters today alone. But at what point will you consider the risk of losing your deposit cause you to act?

I'll admit there is some reservationist's remorse here but I'll probably just hang in there for a while. My ideal car would be something with P100D performance and price in a sports car package. If Tesla makes another choice approaching from below, such as an under 3 second M3 based coupe, and/or make the Roadster even more hyper and expensive, then I might consider canceling the reservation.

Reactions: Roys3
Early adopter of a P3D- here - it's my first-ever new car! My second (and probably last) new car is supposedly the new Roadster.

BUT - based on my experience with the Model 3, early adoption is a big mistake - especially if it's not the top-of-the line model (P3D+ or Founders Edition). Big price changes ($5K decrease) can come "out of the blue". Upgrades (track mode) are arbitrary. In short, lesser models (P3D-, or in the case of the Roadster - anything below the Founders Edition) get treated like red-headed step children. :)

Seriously, I feel that the $50K reservation is better spent later, once the car is in production - maybe even toward a preowned one!

Sorry Tesla, your treatment of this P3D- owner has soured me on the way you treat early adopters. I'm on the verge of pulling my reservation. I'll give you time to make good, but it's not looking good...

PS: All this dissatisfaction is not to say the car isn't great. It really is. But.... you get my point... :(

Last edited:
Early adopter of a P3D- here - it's my first-ever new car! My second (and probably last) new car is supposedly the new Roadster.

BUT - based on my experience with the Model 3, early adoption is a big mistake - especially if it's not the top-of-the line model (P3D+ or Founders Edition). Big price changes ($5K decrease) can come "out of the blue". Upgrades (track mode) are arbitrary. In short, lesser models (P3D-, or in the case of the Roadster - anything below the Founders Edition) get treated like red-headed step children. :)

Seriously, I feel that the $50K reservation is better spent later, once the car is in production - maybe even toward a preowned one!

Sorry Tesla, your treatment of this P3D- owner has soured me on the way you treat early adopters. I'm on the verge of pulling my reservation. I'll give you time to make good, but it's not looking good...

PS: All this dissatisfaction is not to say the car isn't great. It really is. But.... you get my point... :(

It does sound like that you have never bought a new car not to mention a hot selling new car. To each of his own but people do pay large or even obscenely high markup to get hands on a hot new car if they could. Good luck if the Roadster is made by companies like Porsche or Ferrari.

That said I'd think Roadster release will be different than what we've experienced with Model 3. Tesla will not be under financial pressure to move in every small step soon as it's ready to do so.

It does sound like that you have never bought a new car not to mention a hot selling new car. To each of his own but people do pay large or even obscenely high markup to get hands on a hot new car if they could. Good luck if the Roadster is made by companies like Porsche or Ferrari.

That said I'd think Roadster release will be different than what we've experienced with Model 3. Tesla will not be under financial pressure to move in every small step soon as it's ready to do so.
Cool. I appreciate hearing from experienced new car buyers. My Model 3 experience has been pretty shocking.
The car itself exceeds expectations (well, a few minor issues but I'm not picky) so far...
Are you sure Porsche and those guys have crap customer-facing administration?
Anyway, my P-stealth has been a Porsche-killer so far... :D

PS: Hey, my 200th post - good omen if I were superstitious...

Last edited:
I hope OP kept the reservation
I was just wondering the exact same thing. That was way back on May 2.
Hey, tomstation, did they finally paid you?

I just re-read his post. He is a long-time Tesla loyalist and early adopter.
His experience matches mine in that Tesla gives early adopters lip service but doesn't really care about them once the money is in.

Last edited:
I was just wondering the exact same thing. That was way back on May 2.
Hey, tomstation, did they finally paid you?

I just re-read his post. He is a long-time Tesla loyalist and early adopter.
His experience matches mine in that Tesla gives early adopters lip service but doesn't really care about them once the money is in.
I have a founders $250,000 deposit that I asked for 3 months ago. Still haven't got it back. My attorney is now involved If you're in the same boat PM me.
Best of luck.

• Informative
I have a founders $250,000 deposit that I asked for 3 months ago. Still haven't got it back. My attorney is now involved If you're in the same boat PM me.
Best of luck.
Thanks for the good (but shocking!) info. I just put my cancellation in too. Was told 60-90 days for a refund - which is unacceptable.
My Performance Model 3 experience has now devolved to where I simply need to cancel my Roadster reservation (regretfully really, and not for financial reasons).
One has to learn from one's experience. I can't justify being a early adopter again... (unfortunately!)

Reactions: gowthamn
Looks like my case is coming to a close - I just got this:

Hello Roy,

Thank you for contacting Tesla customer support. Your refund has been fully processes and a check has been issued to you on 1/9. It can take 30-60 days for you to receive it. Have a wonderful day!

Best regards,
Tesla Customer Supprot

Not sure why it takes 30-60 days from check issuance, but so be it... (Sure beats 60-90 days as stated before!)
(Some Performance Model 3 $5000 refunds took only 2 weeks - something I pointed out to them.)

Two different acquaintances received their refunds within a full business week...I'm hearing about people requesting the refunds for the 2.0 Roasters left & right, but think about how these refunds hurt Tesla's bottom line. Investing in their stock is one thing, but supporting the growth of the company, IMHO, is more effective via the purchase of their vehicles.

Reactions: Roys3 and bobinfla
Two different acquaintances received their refunds within a full business week...I'm hearing about people requesting the refunds for the 2.0 Roasters left & right, but think about how these refunds hurt Tesla's bottom line. Investing in their stock is one thing, but supporting the growth of the company, IMHO, is more effective via the purchase of their vehicles.
I completely agree. It wasn't with pleasure that I withdrew my support. Tesla's admin, as it stands right now, is just too hard to swallow. If things change I might change my mind. My Model 3 experience soured me.

Btw. has anybody seen this - Top Tesla referrers from the Tesla referral program ? They are "gifting" away over 50 of the $250,000 Roadsters. Many "giftees" have "won" 3 Roadsters. The top guy is on his way to 6! (I think I'll buy one of their "surplus" free ones).

None of this sits well with me. I'll stay on the sidelines and wait. My appetite for supporting Tesla is just not what it used to be...

Looks like my case is coming to a close - I just got this:

Hello Roy,

Thank you for contacting Tesla customer support. Your refund has been fully processes and a check has been issued to you on 1/9. It can take 30-60 days for you to receive it. Have a wonderful day!

Best regards,
Tesla Customer Supprot

Not sure why it takes 30-60 days from check issuance, but so be it... (Sure beats 60-90 days as stated before!)
(Some Performance Model 3 $5000 refunds took only 2 weeks - something I pointed out to them.)
I received the same email over 2 months ago. Still waiting for my founders 250k deposit. My attorney has been told from Tesla several times that I would be receiving my refund "soon". That was over a month ago.

• Informative
Hi,

Want to hear other's experience with getting roadster refubd. About three weeks ago I called and asked for my refund($50k: $5k through credit card, $45k through bank wiring), the person on the phone was very helpful. I got my $5k credit card refund within 2 days, but so far I still haven't gotten my remaining $45k through wiring after providing all the relevant informations to the refund team. The most frustrating part is I sent them several requests for confirmation, not one siNgle reply. As a long time Tesla supporter, I put down my first model S deposit in 2010 before model S gone into production. Never imagine they would drag their feet with refunding my money.
I received the same email over 2 months ago. Still waiting for my founders 250k deposit. My attorney has been told from Tesla several times that I would be receiving my refund "soon". That was over a month ago.

I canceled my Roadster reservation in Sept, got my $5K in Oct on CC and I'm still in a loop asking for my $45K. They started telling me they wired it on Oct 7 then Jan 7.. I asked them to put a trace on it and they get vague. Still checking... It feels very shady to say the least. I think the idea that there are fewer orders is what they are trying to avoid???

I have a model 3 perf and love it. No need for me for me.. I just want my $$$ back...

Jon

I completely agree. It wasn't with pleasure that I withdrew my support. Tesla's admin, as it stands right now, is just too hard to swallow. If things change I might change my mind. My Model 3 experience soured me.

Btw. has anybody seen this - Top Tesla referrers from the Tesla referral program ? They are "gifting" away over 50 of the $250,000 Roadsters. Many "giftees" have "won" 3 Roadsters. The top guy is on his way to 6! (I think I'll buy one of their "surplus" free ones).

None of this sits well with me. I'll stay on the sidelines and wait. My appetite for supporting Tesla is just not what it used to be...

Referral winners are limited to 2 Roadsters, FYI.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: liuping and Roys3
Update:

Wow - Tesla is quick! - To remove my referral code and my Roadster reservation from my online Tesla.com account! (I just noticed it. No telling how long it's been that way.) o_O Luckily I downloaded my proof of payment, and contract terms, and such before they stealthily deleted everything!

No refund yet, just a bit of online "ill will" from Tesla. Now the account only shows my lone Model 3. :(

See, they can act fast - when it comes to pissing customers off! :mad:

They ought to act fast in returning customers' payments. Only remove a long-held reservation (still earning interest at Wells Fargo) once the check is cashed and money transferred. - And why the hell remove a referral code valid to the end of the month? (Insult to injury?)

Tesla, Tesla, Tesla... You are not improving.... :confused:

Wow, that's incredible to think about...6 roadsters!!!

Wow, that's incredible to think about...6 roadsters!!!
If ryanjm above is correct, it's limited to 2 per person. So, for example, the YouTubers Zac & Jesse only get 4 Roadsters...

Anyway, this is my last post here because the Roadster deposit refund just arrived per FedEx!

My timeline was:
1/2/18 - Requested refund.
1/4 - Tesla reply: I am processing your cancellation request for your Roadster 2.0 Reservation. This refund will come in the form of a check within the next 60-90 days.
1/4 - My response: 60-90 days? Up to a quarter of a year? Are you kidding?!!!
I had to get the payment wired to your account within like 5 days!
You have been gathering interest on my $50K .... blah, blah, blah...

...rant, rant, rant... Unacceptable!
1/13 - Tesla reply: Thank you for contacting Tesla customer support. Your refund has been fully processes and a check has been issued to you on 1/9. It can take 30-60 days for you to receive it. Have a wonderful day!
1/23 - Yesterday, I happen to notice that my online Roadster account has been fully deleted.
1/24 - Check in hand!

So it took 22 days for me. Not too bad, considering. :)
I'll be following Tesla's progress from the sidelines now...
Thanks for the forum guys!