Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting refund for roadster reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't mean to sound cruel but I hope all these requests for refunds were reservations placed before mine. I want to get my roadster before the DMV revokes my license due to old age or worse, senilty.;)
Ha! I was wrestling with that consideration too. :D
I reserved 11/20/17, so you should now move up a notch because of my cancellation.
My plan is still to buy one before retirement age (65), either new or used.
If the Roadster comes out in 2021, I'll still a few years to spare, but not many...

Last edited:
Reactions: kvietor
Just my two cents - I relatively easily received my full refund on my Tesla Roadster last week. It took roughly one week once I got to the right person. Here is the process I followed:

1) I called the number displayed on my reservation.
2) Went through the prompts to reach an existing unfilled reservation
3) Requested a refund on my deposit.
4) Make sure you indicate that you understand they will need a voided check for the $45K portion of the deposit. You'll want the direct email address of the person you are speaking with.
5) Email them the voided check and ask how long until it is processed.
6) A couple of days later I saw the $5K refund on my card.
7) I emailed the same person one more time and asked for rough timeline. She indicated within a week. Two days later I received the wire.

I have found, in general, as someone who has owned every Tesla model so far, that they are very responsive. Sometimes they are just slammed as a growing "startup" and I have found a polite follow up email refreshes their memory :)

I am very much looking forward to the next generation Roadster. I just figured it is realistically two years out and I am hungry for some type of sports car/coupe now, so I decided to spend that money on something now while I wait :)

I hope that helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and Roys3
Just my two cents - I relatively easily received my full refund on my Tesla Roadster last week. It took roughly one week once I got to the right person. Here is the process I followed:

1) I called the number displayed on my reservation.
2) Went through the prompts to reach an existing unfilled reservation
3) Requested a refund on my deposit.
4) Make sure you indicate that you understand they will need a voided check for the $45K portion of the deposit. You'll want the direct email address of the person you are speaking with.
5) Email them the voided check and ask how long until it is processed.
6) A couple of days later I saw the $5K refund on my card.
7) I emailed the same person one more time and asked for rough timeline. She indicated within a week. Two days later I received the wire.

I have found, in general, as someone who has owned every Tesla model so far, that they are very responsive. Sometimes they are just slammed as a growing "startup" and I have found a polite follow up email refreshes their memory :)

I am very much looking forward to the next generation Roadster. I just figured it is realistically two years out and I am hungry for some type of sports car/coupe now, so I decided to spend that money on something now while I wait :)

I hope that helps.
That seems like improvement, in speed at least.
Nobody asked me to do the voided check or credit card refund thing.
A full refund Tesla check just showed up (via Fedex) at my home.

PS: I see my Performance Model 3 as the "optimum" car.
The Roadster promises to be the "ultimate" car. I hope so!

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
I don't mean to sound cruel but I hope all these requests for refunds were reservations placed before mine. I want to get my roadster before the DMV revokes my license due to old age or worse, senilty.;)
You still have your sense of humor, so your brain is fully intact! I've dealt with older relatives who I can not say the same for, and they are still driving!

Reactions: kvietor

I’m in the same boat. I also think it will not be 2020 but more likely 2021. 2020 is just 9 months away and I just don’t see Tesla giving this any priority. And as initial production will be very slow it will take significant time for the signature deliveries to be made first. That may bring us to the end of 2021 and I’m not sure I’m willing to wait that long. o_O

I really hope Tesla at least will give us some kind of update soon or I may have to pull the plug also.

So what’re going to get? :)

Hi,

Want to hear other's experience with getting roadster refubd. About three weeks ago I called and asked for my refund($50k: $5k through credit card, $45k through bank wiring), the person on the phone was very helpful. I got my $5k credit card refund within 2 days, but so far I still haven't gotten my remaining $45k through wiring after providing all the relevant informations to the refund team. The most frustrating part is I sent them several requests for confirmation, not one siNgle reply. As a long time Tesla supporter, I put down my first model S deposit in 2010 before model S gone into production. Never imagine they would drag their feet with refunding my money.

Because of health reasons I'm leaving my job early.

I decided to cancel my order.I have been trying to do this since January.Numerous e mails.A few responded to by Tesla but most not.
Calling did not help.I was directed to send more E mails.They have my request, confirmation and voided check.I have sent that to Tesla 3 times.
Asked for confirmation of cancelation.No reply.

Starting to think they are being difficult on purpose.

I'm to the point of having a lawyer draw up a letter.Some of worst customer service I have ever experienced.

I do like Tesla but they need to get much better at customer service.

Reactions: Roys3
I've been trying to cancel my Roadster pre-order as well, because of timing issues. I emailed support a handful of times, never got a response. Then called the dealer in Ohio (closest location to Michigan, where I had to purchase it from). They told me they are changing project management platforms internally, moving away from Salesforce to something else. And that they hadn't had any training on how to cancel the order -- in the old OR new system.

After I pushed, saying I was getting the run around, the customer support gentleman said he thought he figured out how to do the cancellation. He said a reverse wire would be sent from Tesla within 20-business days. That was months ago.

I've since followed up via email with support, received a reply claiming it would be there within 20-business days and no further replies from my inquiries, confirming that no refund has been issued.

Hi,

Want to hear other's experience with getting roadster refubd. About three weeks ago I called and asked for my refund($50k: $5k through credit card, $45k through bank wiring), the person on the phone was very helpful. I got my $5k credit card refund within 2 days, but so far I still haven't gotten my remaining $45k through wiring after providing all the relevant informations to the refund team. The most frustrating part is I sent them several requests for confirmation, not one siNgle reply. As a long time Tesla supporter, I put down my first model S deposit in 2010 before model S gone into production. Never imagine they would drag their feet with refunding my money.
Hi,

i had same problem getting confirmation they received my deposit. It took about 13 days and a bunch of phone calls. It was in their system they received, they just wouldn’t send confirmation. It does add concern for sure. Pretty risky investment if something turns south. I’m staying in for now although I’m keeping close eye on comments such as yours if this continues to be a trend.

I've just contacted Tesla in order to get a refund of my Roadster signature edition, my aim is to invest the proceeds in the stock before earnings. My aim was only to support Elon and the Company through this bumpy road. I hope I'll get the money before October ends and in case I'm successful I won't hesitate in reserving again the roadster 2.0. I'll keep you updated with this experience on here. My first email to Tesla is dated October the 8th.
Have you gotten your deposit back yet?

Nearly all the people posting about refund problems seem to be very infrequent posters. I doubt their veracity.
I have cancelled one Model Y order, refunded to my original payment method in two days. I also cancelled a Model 3 reservation placed in early 2016 for delivery to Brazil, not yet available so I cancelled. That one took three weeks, understandable because it was a non-served area reservation.

I sold my P85DL when I bought. a new Tesla, so asked for a refund of my extended warranty. That arrived in one week.

Of course problems can happen, but I frankly do not believe the new roadster assertions.

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5