TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Getting refund for roadster reservation

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020+' started by tomstation, May 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kvietor

kvietor Model S VIN 168

I don't mean to sound cruel but I hope all these requests for refunds were reservations placed before mine. I want to get my roadster before the DMV revokes my license due to old age or worse, senilty.;)

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
  2. Kgorilla37

Kgorilla37 Member

Good question: are the people asking for refunds among the ones who sent in their depositi on the day (week?) of the reveal?

3. Roys3

Roys3 Member

#43 Roys3, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Ha! I was wrestling with that consideration too. :D
    I reserved 11/20/17, so you should now move up a notch because of my cancellation.
    My plan is still to buy one before retirement age (65), either new or used.
    If the Roadster comes out in 2021, I'll still a few years to spare, but not many...

• Like x 1
  4. renegrub

renegrub Member

Just my two cents - I relatively easily received my full refund on my Tesla Roadster last week. It took roughly one week once I got to the right person. Here is the process I followed:

1) I called the number displayed on my reservation.
    2) Went through the prompts to reach an existing unfilled reservation
    3) Requested a refund on my deposit.
    4) Make sure you indicate that you understand they will need a voided check for the $45K portion of the deposit. You'll want the direct email address of the person you are speaking with.
    5) Email them the voided check and ask how long until it is processed.
    6) A couple of days later I saw the $5K refund on my card.
    7) I emailed the same person one more time and asked for rough timeline. She indicated within a week. Two days later I received the wire.

I have found, in general, as someone who has owned every Tesla model so far, that they are very responsive. Sometimes they are just slammed as a growing "startup" and I have found a polite follow up email refreshes their memory :)

I am very much looking forward to the next generation Roadster. I just figured it is realistically two years out and I am hungry for some type of sports car/coupe now, so I decided to spend that money on something now while I wait :)

I hope that helps.

• Helpful x 2
  5. Roys3

Roys3 Member

#45 Roys3, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    That seems like improvement, in speed at least.
    Nobody asked me to do the voided check or credit card refund thing.
    A full refund Tesla check just showed up (via Fedex) at my home.

PS: I see my Performance Model 3 as the "optimum" car.
    The Roadster promises to be the "ultimate" car. I hope so!

• Like x 1
  6. googlepeakoil

googlepeakoil Member

Is that you Vernon Unsworth - I thought you don't like Elon now ;-)

7. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

You still have your sense of humor, so your brain is fully intact! I've dealt with older relatives who I can not say the same for, and they are still driving!

• Like x 1
  8. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

No need to wrorry. FSD will be available by the time Roadster comes out. You can just pretending you're driving the car.

• Funny x 2
  9. Gra55h0pper

Gra55h0pper Member

I’m in the same boat. I also think it will not be 2020 but more likely 2021. 2020 is just 9 months away and I just don’t see Tesla giving this any priority. And as initial production will be very slow it will take significant time for the signature deliveries to be made first. That may bring us to the end of 2021 and I’m not sure I’m willing to wait that long. o_O

I really hope Tesla at least will give us some kind of update soon or I may have to pull the plug also.

So what’re going to get? :)

10. Baronsmokes

Baronsmokes Member

Because of health reasons I'm leaving my job early.

I decided to cancel my order.I have been trying to do this since January.Numerous e mails.A few responded to by Tesla but most not.
    Calling did not help.I was directed to send more E mails.They have my request, confirmation and voided check.I have sent that to Tesla 3 times.
    Asked for confirmation of cancelation.No reply.

Starting to think they are being difficult on purpose.

I'm to the point of having a lawyer draw up a letter.Some of worst customer service I have ever experienced.

I do like Tesla but they need to get much better at customer service.

• Like x 1
  11. jmueller

jmueller New Member

I've been trying to cancel my Roadster pre-order as well, because of timing issues. I emailed support a handful of times, never got a response. Then called the dealer in Ohio (closest location to Michigan, where I had to purchase it from). They told me they are changing project management platforms internally, moving away from Salesforce to something else. And that they hadn't had any training on how to cancel the order -- in the old OR new system.

After I pushed, saying I was getting the run around, the customer support gentleman said he thought he figured out how to do the cancellation. He said a reverse wire would be sent from Tesla within 20-business days. That was months ago.

I've since followed up via email with support, received a reply claiming it would be there within 20-business days and no further replies from my inquiries, confirming that no refund has been issued.

12. Regent

Regent Closed

i had same problem getting confirmation they received my deposit. It took about 13 days and a bunch of phone calls. It was in their system they received, they just wouldn’t send confirmation. It does add concern for sure. Pretty risky investment if something turns south. I’m staying in for now although I’m keeping close eye on comments such as yours if this continues to be a trend.

13. Regent

Regent Closed

Have you gotten your deposit back yet?

14. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Nearly all the people posting about refund problems seem to be very infrequent posters. I doubt their veracity.
    I have cancelled one Model Y order, refunded to my original payment method in two days. I also cancelled a Model 3 reservation placed in early 2016 for delivery to Brazil, not yet available so I cancelled. That one took three weeks, understandable because it was a non-served area reservation.

I sold my P85DL when I bought. a new Tesla, so asked for a refund of my extended warranty. That arrived in one week.

Of course problems can happen, but I frankly do not believe the new roadster assertions.

• Informative x 1