Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting refund for roadster reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Want to hear other's experience with getting roadster refubd. About three weeks ago I called and asked for my refund($50k: $5k through credit card, $45k through bank wiring), the person on the phone was very helpful. I got my $5k credit card refund within 2 days, but so far I still haven't gotten my remaining $45k through wiring after providing all the relevant informations to the refund team. The most frustrating part is I sent them several requests for confirmation, not one siNgle reply. As a long time Tesla supporter, I put down my first model S deposit in 2010 before model S gone into production. Never imagine they would drag their feet with refunding my money.

Here's my refund story. A while after placing the deposit I retired and moved overseas, so on 6/30 I requested a refund. They were slow to respond, but on 7/17 I received a reply and went back and forth with a few emails to verify some details. I received a check dated 7/23 for $5000, and the $45000 wire to my bank on 7/27. All told, under 30 days to receive the full refund.

Here's my refund story. A while after placing the deposit I retired and moved overseas, so on 6/30 I requested a refund. They were slow to respond, but on 7/17 I received a reply and went back and forth with a few emails to verify some details. I received a check dated 7/23 for $5000, and the $45000 wire to my bank on 7/27. All told, under 30 days to receive the full refund.

So you moved to Thailand and live there now? I wonder how long you will you have to wait for your Roadster to be delivered to Thailand. I guess it would take a very long time. But driving a Roaster 2020 in Thailand would be cool.

I don't see what Elon has to do with how you like the car?

I mean, I have a VAG group car and yet despite dieselgate causing VW's chief Martin Winterkorn to resign and Audi's chief, Rupert Stadler, and Porsche's powertrain chief, Jörg Kerner, being arrested, and Skoda's management trying to take bribes in Africa and then banning the sale of their cars through local distributors when they got reported by them for it....

It wouldn't put me off buying another car from any of those brands, or induce me to sell my current one before I intend to replace it.

At what point will those of you who have reservations decide to pull the plug? I'm as big of a supporter as most here and I'm not yet worried about the thought of losing my $50K deposit...on paper I've lost a few Roadsters today alone. But at what point will you consider the risk of losing your deposit cause you to act?

At what point will those of you who have reservations decide to pull the plug? I'm as big of a supporter as most here and I'm not yet worried about the thought of losing my $50K deposit...on paper I've lost a few Roadsters today alone. But at what point will you consider the risk of losing your deposit cause you to act?
Not even remotely on the horizon. I lost more than 4 Roadsters on paper today, so looking forward to the day when I have a real one to replace those . That will be a fantastic day to counterbalance some of these really bad ones.

I've just contacted Tesla in order to get a refund of my Roadster signature edition, my aim is to invest the proceeds in the stock before earnings. My aim was only to support Elon and the Company through this bumpy road. I hope I'll get the money before October ends and in case I'm successful I won't hesitate in reserving again the roadster 2.0. I'll keep you updated with this experience on here. My first email to Tesla is dated October the 8th.

I was told My roadster deposit was ‘approved’ and that I would have it by 9/20 but Not back yet. I have had to defer a Model 3 delivery as my 4 year old S to trade has been at the Watertown MA repair center for a Month. All in all very disappointing.

I deposited in June and cancelled in August. No refund yet. Tesla has made 3 unkept promises
To return $45k of my $50k deposit by wire transfer. I am going to have to take
Them to court in Connecticut to get any attention to the dysfunction in the Tesla Finance
Dept. RB Strong

Tesla is sufficiently disorganized that they have messed up on very serious things. You are unfortunately right that taking them to court may be the only way to get them to *notice* how messed up their internal processes are. Be assured that they intend to do the right thing, but you still may have to file a lawsuit to get them to do it just because of sheer chaotic disorganization.

I have found that Tesla is more efficient at issuing refunds by paper check, so maybe you should just get that done.