Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting seriously tempted by the i-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cross-shopping the Model 3 and the I-Pace just doesn't make sense to me. The I-Pace will cost close to twice as much, and one is a sedan while the other is a SUV. Cross-shopping the Model X and the I-Pace makes more sense.

What do you do when, given the 2017-2018 timeframe, the only large-battery premium BEVs are expected to be: Model 3, I-Pace, Model S, Audi e-tron quattro and Model X (in the expected size order) and none of them exactly fits what you are looking for? Well, IMO what you do is, you narrow in on the comparisons that most closely fits what you are looking for and then decide between them.

I have a Model 3 reservation and I-Pace is the alternative I am intently looking at for it. (I am not in any hurry in pulling a trigger, so others may enter the equation of course too.) And we are on a Model 3 where another member @sparkypete is in the same boat as myself. Whether or not it makes sense to you, it seems to be happening.

And the reason why it does make sense to me, is the limited selection of large-battery premium BEVs on the market. There hardly is an optimal model for most of us. They are all compromises in some ways, so they are all competing with each other, crossing usual class, size, brand and price lines with reckless abandon. This simply is not a normal market. Not when Prius owners buy Model S's...

I would personally never cross-shop a Model X and an I-Pace (perhaps because I already have a Model X, which by the way I came to from two sedans...), though I can see why someone would. To me the I-Pace looks to be a smaller and cheaper car. It is not comparable to Model 3, but then it is not really comparable to Model S/X either. It is in-between. I am happy with the Model X and was happy with the Model S before that, but next I *am* looking for that in-between.

And for someone looking for a large-battery premium BEV in a class below Model X (that is not Model S), that leaves Model 3, I-Pace and possibly Audi e-tron quattro, though that may be end up too big and pricey (maybe the e-tron Sportback woulld fit better, assuming its timeline fits with mine, in which case Model Y might appear on the radar as well).

Reactions: Lokolo
^This^ The deliberate lack of and mis-information is incredibly off-putting and insulting to current and future customers, especially to the demographic who is purchasing an EV. Gosh, I can actually see the steering wheel and drivers console for the I-Pace. The reason details for the Model 3, allegedly months from production, are a mystery is why.....? I don't like to feel toyed with. Like I'm too stupid to digest information, and make an informed decision.

This behavior may have seemed trendy and exciting for early adopters, hanging on every drop of carefully managed information. It's frankly irritating at this point.

Tesla has 400,000+ reservations so there's no need to give-out information. They are already sold-out for at least a year. Giving information out now is not necessary and I think that's why they are doing this. If reservations were very low, you can bet they would be pushing everything out to create demand. I realize as a customer, it would be nice to have more info, but why should they? No sense showing your cards to the competition until the last minute.

didn't want the Model 3 until 2020, so by then, the competition / autonomous / fast charging landscape will look very much different than the Tesla-centric world looks today. Much different. The world will catch up and pass Tesla.

Here's to having more choices.......

This seems incredibly unlikely within the next decade...but I, too, am for more EVs on the road.

The proportions on the i-Pace are much better than the X, which looks a little bloated. The i-Pace's shape has a more modern look to it.

Both Model X and Model 3 have the bloated look. Arguably Model 3 is even worse in this regard.

Model S has better proportions looks-wise, as does the I-Pace.

While my Fiat Multipla jibe up there may seem unfair (and certainly in a way is), there is some truth to it. Model 3 and Model X - like Fiat Multipla - have this cupola-like greenhouse that is disproportionately high compared to the lower half of the car.

Whereas Model S and I-Pace have fairly low, almost squatting greenhouses that immediately lend sporty air to the side profile of the car.

Reactions: MS16
To illustrate my point:

Low greenhouses:

I-Pace
i-pace-london-drive-car_04.jpg

Model S
2016-Tesla-Model-S-P90D-front-three-quarter-in-motion-03.jpg

High greenhouses:

Model 3
18077350_1299745816788794_3955214003429013610_o1-e1493168267697.jpg

Model X
2016-Tesla-Model-X-front-three-quarter-2.JPG.jpg

Fiat Multipla
2004c+Fiat+Multipla..jpg

I chose the facelifted Multipla to illustrate the point, so that we don't get bogged down on its distinctive original hood/bonnet.

See how the Model X side windows even extend lower than the windshield, just like on the Fiat Multipla - creating very high and non-sexy side windows...

Most definitely.

Model X is about as sexy as a Fiat Multipla.
Yes! I love the Fiat Multipla! It has sooo much room, drives decently and can be confused with nothing else.I also has great storage space above the windshield where I can keep theatre tickets, car documents, all my credit cards and assorted sunglasses. It also will hold everything I need for gardening, home improvement projects, or the entire extended family. Nobody wants to steal it either. It is the VW Microbus of the 2000's but with the ability top keep up with traffic.

OTOH, the Model X is sexy, and Multipla isn't. BTW, my Multipla obviously must be the original, with the facelift it looks like it had plastic surgery.

• Funny
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Model X actually has a lot in common with the Fiat Multipla. The very large windshield, the way the side windows reach lower than the windshield.

What is not in common is the practicality.
Right, The X has good acceleration, rear passengers can avoid the rain and enter-egress is easy. X has good steering response. As much as I am a Multipla fan the X is much, much better in all respects. It seems you simply do not like practical vehicles, which both X and Multipla are.

Right, The X has good acceleration, rear passengers can avoid the rain and enter-egress is easy. X has good steering response. As much as I am a Multipla fan the X is much, much better in all respects. It seems you simply do not like practical vehicles, which both X and Multipla are.

My comparison was on design proportion.

However, I would continue to argue - compared to Fiat Multipla - Model X is not a practical vehicle.

Heck, compared to a Model S, the Model X is not a very practical vehicle.

Both Model X and Model 3 have the bloated look. Arguably Model 3 is even worse in this regard.
Not sure how you come to that conclusion. The Model X definitely looks more bloated than the Model 3. It seems to follow the BMW X6 school of styling (a CUV "coupe" which looks bloated).

The Model 3 obviously is stubbier than the Model S (it has to be, given same height, but shorter length), but by keeping the wheelbase relatively long and using some tricks on the lines, it still looks sleek from most angles. There are some angles where it is unflattering, but for the most part it looks good to me.

2019-Tesla-Model-3-Pre-Production-Side.jpg

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. The Model X definitely looks more bloated than the Model 3. It seems to follow the BMW X6 school of styling (a CUV "coupe" which looks bloated).

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. But just to make sure we are referring to the same thing, an explanation:

Of course Model X is higher, no doubt, but that alone does not make it bloated looking. X6 for example is definitely not a bloated looking car in the sense that I'm discussing here.

Model 3 has a disproportionately large greenhouse compared to the rest of the car. Model X has the same, but not quite as strikingly. Fiat Multipla was used as an extreme example of this.

BMW X6, Model S and I-Pace have smaller greenhouses compared to the rest of the car, resulting in a less bloated look in this sense.

Compare the nose of the car to the greenhouse here. The greenhouse is IMMENSE compared to the size of the nose:

2019-Tesla-Model-3-Pre-Production-Side.jpg

Here you can see how much smaller the greenhouse is relatively on a Model S:

Tesla-Model-S-Whispbar-Snow-Mount-Side.jpg

Last edited:
Getting back to the thread topic, it's too early to judge the I-Pace but I'll wager it will increase BEV adoption rates. It will benefit from Tata with lower cost componetry, from JLR with a stunning interior and will probably deliver pretty good value. By the time it arrives we'll begin to have a good many choices. I will stick with Tesla, mostly but if the forthcoming offerings of I-Pace, Volvo and 'the Germans' are appealing our house might see one of those two. My spouse adored her XK-8 so somebody with an offering with that kind of appeal will certainly find a home with us. I suspect the first really good one will be the new Tesla Roadster. Anybody who's driven an i-8 has difficulty taking BMW seriously.