Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting seriously tempted by the i-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both Model X and Model 3 have the bloated look. Arguably Model 3 is even worse in this regard.

Model S has better proportions looks-wise, as does the I-Pace.

While my Fiat Multipla jibe up there may seem unfair (and certainly in a way is), there is some truth to it. Model 3 and Model X - like Fiat Multipla - have this cupola-like greenhouse that is disproportionately high compared to the lower half of the car.

Whereas Model S and I-Pace have fairly low, almost squatting greenhouses that immediately lend sporty air to the side profile of the car.
It's pointless to compare looks in a forum setting. Everyone has different tastes. I personally think the i-Pace is ugly (looks like an old-school Volvo that got the front and rear ends smashed in), but love the look of the Model 3.

It's pointless to compare looks in a forum setting. Everyone has different tastes. I personally think the i-Pace is ugly (looks like an old-school Volvo that got the front and rear ends smashed in), but love the look of the Model 3.

I don't think it is pointless to compare design decisions, though.

Whether or not people like I-Pace vs. Model 3 is an opinion - and everyone has their own, of course. No point in arguing about those. However, design decisions and features certainly can be pointed out and compared, as they are not opinion-based, but factual.

So a fact is, Model 3 has a relatively large greenhouse, compare to I-Pace. Whether or not one likes that, is an opinion.

As you say, this discussion is all subjective. Perhaps not pointless if folks can articulate what they like/dislike and why.
I for one am weary of the armored personnel carrier look (small greenhouse). Maybe defending against IED's is where our minds have been the last decade or so. Specifically on the i-Pace, it seems to lack any Jag DNA. Perhaps the result of a Volvo-Nissan one-nighter. I'd ask for a paternity test.
It's definitely styled as an air-breathing land mammal whereas the X seems much more aquatic. I appreciate the form as part of function with the X, but fully don't expect all to love it.

I don't think it is pointless to compare design decisions, though.

Whether or not people like I-Pace vs. Model 3 is an opinion - and everyone has their own, of course. No point in arguing about those. However, design decisions and features certainly can be pointed out and compared, as they are not opinion-based, but factual.

So a fact is, Model 3 has a relatively large greenhouse, compare to I-Pace. Whether or not one likes that, is an opinion.
You're right, "pointless" was probably not the best term to use. Objectively comparing design decisions is all fine and good, but using those comparisons to argue that one car or another is better seems a little silly.

For example, I like the look of the larger "greenhouse" (first time I've heard that term, thanks!) on the M3, but that doesn't mean that I can say that makes the M3 the better car. However, knowing that it enables better headroom and legroom for the rear passengers puts a +1 in the M3 column. Someone else could argue that the same feature means a smaller trunk aperture, which is a negative. Those are both valid arguments that can be made about the design. Saying that one looks better, while maybe being a factor that you would use to decide which to purchase, doesn't add much to this discussion.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
@Runt8 Thanks, appreciate the message. One point about the greenhouse - it does not automatically change headroom though, same headroom could be achieved by simply a higher shoulderline for the car. Basically higher doors and lower door windows...
That's true - I was basing it on Elon calling out the glass roof in the reveal. But as you say, that's different than the greenhouse.

• Helpful
Thanks for sharing, @smac. Love it that you keep us updated on the I-Pace.

I especially liked this:

Mmm... aero...

jaguar_i-pace_aero.jpg

Yes, it will be definitely available by that time. AWD production starts in early 2018 (source). My best guess is January 2018. Right-hand drive production will start in summer 2018 (source). Best guess, Aug 2018.

My best guess for RHD Model 3 is 2019.

We have had official confirmation that UK M3 deliveries are set to begin "no earlier than H2 2018"

Being as this is "Tesla Time", I suspect this is optimistic, and realistically means first examples to land in customer hands will be December 31st 2018 ;) (If not later, the PD cars were 6 months behind initial promises, despite being on sale in the US). We've seen this over and over here in the UK, where Tesla hold off as long as possible so they have an order backlog ready to unleash should they need it for a particular quarter. Personally I think the M3 will sell so well in California, then the rest of the US, that there will be little pressure in this regard for a l-o-o-o-o-ng time.

(This isn't necessarily a criticism, it's a smart way to do business from a TSLA shareholder POV, but less than ideal if you are just a regular UK customer.)

As for AWD variants being available in that time frame, it's certainly possible, however I'd expect Tesla to ship as many orders as they can in RWD format first. Only when they need a demand lever will the AWD be released. Tesla will clearly know they will get two chances that way of people upgrading early hence increasing new car sales. Timing will be important, but I can't see Tesla not selling every RWD car they make in the first 18 months.

In contrast I see Jaguar following suit of other similar sized SUV's with launch cars being AWD, then part through model life a cheaper two wheel drive variant being offered.

All of which is a long winded way of saying I believe the IPace will almost certainly beat the M3 (AWD or RWD) to the UK market.

• Helpful
Thanks for sharing, @smac. Love it that you keep us updated on the I-Pace.

I especially liked this:

Mmm... aero...

Well I do have a vested interest in keeping abreast of its development ;)

I appreciate this is a Tesla forum but my experience in business is it is unwise to not keep at least a passing eye on what the competitors are doing, It's very easy to get complacent / over confident. I hope this thread is therefore useful to others even if they have no intention to buy one.

With that in mind I'm trying, and will continue to try, to be as even handed in describing my purchasing decisions and eventually ownership experience. I owe Tesla a debt for converting me to EV's but if they don't have the product for me, then I won't buy another. (And somewhat of a disclaimer, my post sale service has been poor, but maybe I'm one who slipped through the net).

No small part of my decision is I'm already stretching out my next purchase because my intention has always been to get rid of the car before warranty expired, which for me is July 2018 (no way I'll hit mileage).

As for the aero, I actually quite like the approach. Personally I prefer grilles on cars, and whilst fans of Tesla's grille less style will rightfully point out they are to an extent superfluous, as has been said earlier discussions of aesthetic preferences are very subjective. What JLR have done is a clever compromise to give the effect of a grille (and maybe more importantly a more squared off / aggressive front end) whilst still playing nice with the wind tunnel.

I will say though, if any car manufacturer out there knows how to design an SUV for mass appeal (and ultimately this is where personal preferences get weighed in balance), JLR (via Range Rover) must be right near the top. One interesting, to me at least, decision JLR made is that this is going to be a Jaguar not Range Rover. I think in part this is because it's still less aggressive than say the new Velar, undoubtedly due to the aero constraints.

Last edited:
I am trying to make sense of OPs post.

Concerned about tesla reliability and wants to buy jaguar instead??

I would get the argument if it was a Toyota or something but jaguar????
Actually, Jaguar has made significant strides in quality and reliability. My BIL has a late model Range Rover that I'm very impressed with.

Jaguar, Buick dethrone Lexus in reliability study

• Informative
Reactions: smac
@xav-

Factors that make me more hopeful.

1) Being built by the same factory as the BMW 5 Series
2) JLR today under Tata are a million times better than Jaguar of old (which is hardly difficult)
3) Even if it does have teething troubles the dealership is 5 miles away not 75.
4) Jaguar are rumoured to have more pre-production cars out in testing than Tesla have RC Model 3s
5) The F-Pace has in general proven to be a reliable car.

I am trying to make sense of OPs post.

Concerned about tesla reliability and wants to buy jaguar instead??

I would get the argument if it was a Toyota or something but jaguar????

This is just a promotional thread for the i-pace nothing more.

Otherwise, there is absolutely no rational reason when the Model 3 reveal is heating up, for there to be any shared interest here in anything else other than Model 3 - certainly not relevant to the Model 3 section.

This is just a promotional thread for the i-pace nothing more.

Otherwise, there is absolutely no rational reason when the Model 3 reveal is heating up, for there to be any shared interest here in anything else other than Model 3 - certainly not relevant to the Model 3 section.

The OP is comparing the 2 cars, fair enough there are a lot of posts about apples and oranges but at the end of the day, the M3 isn't coming to UK market for at least another 18 months, by which time the i-pace is more than likely going to be available at the same time.

There is another thread in the electric cars section on the i-pace where others have been posting news about the actual car. This thread has derailed from the original M3 vs i-pace discussion though.