TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Getting Software Updates

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Kevin M, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Kevin M

Kevin M New Member

I have a Model S from Oct 2015 and have noticed that I seem to either get software updates incredibly late or not at all. From initial release of a software update, I seem to get them like 3 months later. I've gone into Tesla before about this and have been told that new software updates aren't installing because a previous update was "stuck". I think part of this might be because the areas where my car goes typically don't have WiFi in range and LTE is bad in my garage.

Does anyone know if you can force a software update without needing to go to a service center for every update? Would doing a reset clean up any "stuck" downloads? Has anyone else seen this problem of getting updates really late?

2. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Rebooting is always good :). But doesn't fix all such problems. I believe the service centers can force updates so give them a call and get it scheduled.

3. Kevin M

Kevin M New Member

I've had to go to the service center twice to get updates installed. I definitely don't want to have to do that every time. One thing that actually confused me is that back when autopilot was first rolled out, I called them and they were able to send the update over the air and I received it next day. But for the past two times they forced me to come into the service center. I wonder what changed...

4. princeofhouse

princeofhouse Member

if I were you take it to service centre.
    sit down with your service rep and politely (act fed up a little) explain your frustration and that its not practical (acceptable) to come there every single time if its acting up and that you need the issue resolved properly.
    especially if in warranty, perhaps push for a complete re-flash/re-install of the hard drive/operating system.

you could do that next time go in for service or when/if the issue happens again. gives you more ammo.