Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S from Oct 2015 and have noticed that I seem to either get software updates incredibly late or not at all. From initial release of a software update, I seem to get them like 3 months later. I've gone into Tesla before about this and have been told that new software updates aren't installing because a previous update was "stuck". I think part of this might be because the areas where my car goes typically don't have WiFi in range and LTE is bad in my garage.

Does anyone know if you can force a software update without needing to go to a service center for every update? Would doing a reset clean up any "stuck" downloads? Has anyone else seen this problem of getting updates really late?

Rebooting is always good :). But doesn't fix all such problems. I believe the service centers can force updates so give them a call and get it scheduled.
I've had to go to the service center twice to get updates installed. I definitely don't want to have to do that every time. One thing that actually confused me is that back when autopilot was first rolled out, I called them and they were able to send the update over the air and I received it next day. But for the past two times they forced me to come into the service center. I wonder what changed...

if I were you take it to service centre.
sit down with your service rep and politely (act fed up a little) explain your frustration and that its not practical (acceptable) to come there every single time if its acting up and that you need the issue resolved properly.
especially if in warranty, perhaps push for a complete re-flash/re-install of the hard drive/operating system.

you could do that next time go in for service or when/if the issue happens again. gives you more ammo.

Service center can put in for you to have the pushed to you same day. I had it done when I had vehicle connection issues and when I called in they said that the log showed for some reason updates had failed to DL 3 times. They old me to stop by or call the service center and have them push the update.

Just got a new MS 100D last Friday and has several bug issues (summarized on many other posts). I've been told it has been "escalated" and that a coming firmware update will fix those few things. My assumption about why I'm waiting is that they just haven't solved it yet and don't have a solution. So I'm just waiting patiently.

Love the car. I had a 85D that I came off lease which I really enjoyed driving for the last 3 years. The new car is improved in many ways. The new AP is way better, new Nav way better, new MCU way better, new rear motor way better.

I'm sure they'll work out these bugs. They are probably putting a lot of resources into rolling out M3 as fast as possible so may be slowing down MS software development/improvement.