Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Tax Credits for "Used Car" Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are many cars on tesla's used car inventory that have <500 miles. This tells me that these cars are either a return after the 1-week test, or a showroom/test drive car. I know this is true because one of the cars that I drove and returned within the grace period showed up in in the used car inventory. I did not take advantage of the tax credit for the returned call.

My question is, given that the tax credit for these cars have not been utilized, would I be able to obtain the tax credit if I purchased one of these vehicles?

Thank you

There are many cars on tesla's used car inventory that have <500 miles. This tells me that these cars are either a return after the 1-week test, or a showroom/test drive car. I know this is true because one of the cars that I drove and returned within the grace period showed up in in the used car inventory. I did not take advantage of the tax credit for the returned call.

My question is, given that the tax credit for these cars have not been utilized, would I be able to obtain the tax credit if I purchased one of these vehicles?

Thank you
Used car or inventory car? It doesn't matter how many miles are on the car for the federal tax credit, it only matters that you're the first owner. Returns and showroom cars should never have been registered to an owner, so count as new, not used. If it's been registered and therefore truly used, it is not eligible. I got the full tax credit on my 2016 showroom Model X with 7700 miles when I purchased it in July 2017.

Used car or inventory car? It doesn't matter how many miles are on the car for the federal tax credit, it only matters that you're the first owner. Returns and showroom cars should never have been registered to an owner, so count as new, not used. If it's been registered and therefore truly used, it is not eligible. I got the full tax credit on my 2016 showroom Model X with 7700 miles when I purchased it in July 2017.

Then can I received the tax credit if I was the first owner of the car that I returned after test driving it for a week? For that car, who is the first owner, and who is eligible for the credit? Thank you

Why did you return it and now want to "buy" it again??
I returned it because I want a bit too much money vs the value of the car. The car that I returned now shows up in the used inventory with over $16k off from the price that I purchased it at, which would make it worth it to me. Even more so if I can still used the tax credit. In this scenario I would be the first and the second owner! :)

Then can I received the tax credit if I was the first owner of the car that I returned after test driving it for a week? For that car, who is the first owner, and who is eligible for the credit? Thank you
If you returned the car during the first week, then you likely never "owned" the car. Meaning, Tesla never transferred the title or processed the registration with the state. It's not like the state is going to give back the sales tax or registration fees just because you returned the car.

I can't tell if you're confusing Tesla's new inventory with used cars or not. Showroom cars, demos and returned vehicles should show under new inventory; while trade-ins, lease returns and buybacks would show under used inventory.

The first person to title the car would be the first owner. If it was never titled, the certificate of origin prevails and the car would be considered New (never titled).

Did someone just reveal a loophole to get a brand new car with big discount? Order the car, drive it for 7 days, return and wait for it to show back up with 16k off. If the car was titled you are the first owner that titled it and if it wasn't you can def claim the tax credit as a new car. Holy Cow.

• Funny
Reactions: re04586
Did someone just reveal a loophole to get a brand new car with big discount? Order the car, drive it for 7 days, return and wait for it to show back up with 16k off. If the car was titled you are the first owner that titled it and if it wasn't you can def claim the tax credit as a new car. Holy Cow.

I wonder if people have taken advantage of this already. It's slimy as hell, but for a $16k discount, i'm sure there are those that would leave their morals at the door.

Cat is out the bag someone delete this thread now lol

I know and met a couple of owners who have done it as well

I can’t imagine Tesla allowing someone to buy the same car they just returned, but what’s stopping someone from using their friend or spouse to do this? Or two potential buyers could just order each other’s car, return it, then rebuy it a week later if they stay alert watching the inventory.

Their return policy is just begging people to abuse it. People are sick, I can definitely see this happening.