Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting tesla solar installed today 395w Panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m supposed to have 340 watt panel but they upgraded all the panels 395w because that’s all they have for now. I am guessing it’s better numbers are the same.
My system supposed to be 12.6kw. And supposed to have two inversvers. But they said they’re only putting one in Burner which is 15kw.
.. are these panels are good
.. does the inverter picture looks like 15 Kw
The system is being installed now/today

Attachments

• 00C95F49-110F-4C8F-A1B2-BB3DD190C0DA.jpeg
    00C95F49-110F-4C8F-A1B2-BB3DD190C0DA.jpeg
    801.8 KB · Views: 223
  • AA86A780-8835-43FE-8685-C64EB43DDE73.jpeg
    AA86A780-8835-43FE-8685-C64EB43DDE73.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 213
You are correct. Mistyped. 3.8kW and 7.6kW were installed.
Got it, there have been reports of Tesla submitting or creating plans that called for a single 7.6 kW inverter for up to 11-12 kW systems. I don't really know what is going on just trying to help out the OP.

This might seem more reasonable for a system with a split east-west type system, or perhaps a solar glass roof with the reduced production they have compared to traditional PV systems.

For a traditional panel installation, it seems like a few too many DC panels for a single 7.6 kW inverter. As @nwdiver points out the penalty isn't as bad as it sounds. The 12.6 kW system might behave more like an 11.9 kW system (estimated 5% annual loss due to 1.66 stacking ratio) but still, you are getting quite a bit of value at the Tesla price.

Reactions: Rccarps2
That just seems silly by comparison, wow.

1.07 ratio with just the single 7.6 inverter would have still had a bit of room for a panel or 2.
Yeah it is a bit silly. I think they did it because they chose to wire my panels as 5 separate strings and the 7.6 inverter only has 4 inputs.

I think they could have easily wired the system with only 3 strings. I have two south facing 4-panel strings less than 6 ft from each other with the same azimuth and elevation. The only difference is one is on my attached garage and the other is on the house which is about 3ft higher than the garage. Also have a west facing 5-panel string on my second floor and a 3-panel on the first. Again same azimuth and elevation which I think they could have wired in series too.

I would be tempted to do a dyi panel install and wire them into the unused inverter inputs if I had the time.

After talking to their engineer they say it is a 7.6 inverter. But they can run easily up to 12.5 ..
So I don’t know what to say my original plan says that there’s two inverters. I don’t know should I be worried since I have 12.6kw. System

Attachments

• 6F5A1A3C-87D2-4B1A-909B-9E07B2C1A857.jpeg
    6F5A1A3C-87D2-4B1A-909B-9E07B2C1A857.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 128
They will put in only one inverter. I have the same size system and only the 7.6 inverter.
That’s correct I’ve double checked and inverter is 7.6 max output. But their engineer said to me that it covers up to 12.5. So my system should be covered. Also he mentioned something if he were to put in a 10kw inverter some kind of the state requirement causes an issue.

Last edited:
I’m supposed to have 340 watt panel but they upgraded all the panels 395w because that’s all they have for now. I am guessing it’s better numbers are the same.
My system supposed to be 12.6kw. And supposed to have two inversvers. But they said they’re only putting one in Burner which is 15kw.
.. are these panels are good
.. does the inverter picture looks like 15 Kw
The system is being installed now/today
So I have double checked it is a 7.6 system engineer said it will easily run up to 12.5 which would cover my solar system.

Do you have a model number and a matching specification sheet that could support the claim? I.e. why wouldn't the 7.6kW inverter be labeled a 12.6kW one or 9.9kW. Something doesn't smell right, and it isn't the fish...

It may be the case that it can handle 12.6kW of input by only using some fraction of it, and the difference may not be material to you. This has been extensively discussed in other threads. Look for inverter and clipping and AC/DC ratios.

All the best,

BG

Do you have a model number and a matching specification sheet that could support the claim? I.e. why wouldn't the 7.6kW inverter be labeled a 12.6kW one or 9.9kW. Something doesn't smell right, and it isn't the fish...

It may be the case that it can handle 12.6kW of input by only using some fraction of it, and the difference may not be material to you. This has been extensively discussed in other threads. Look for inverter and clipping and AC/DC ratios.

All the best,

BG
i will take some pic's and update, but i looked at it lable said 7.6kw max ouput.. so i do not know why they are saying it will handle 12.6kw system. my orignal order said 2 inverters but i can not get real ans from them