Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting tesla solar installed today 395w Panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The extra energy stays in the solar panels because the inverter allows less current from the panels. In effect, the inverter intentionally operates away from the Maximum Power Point of the panels. The elecrtrical power produced by the panels is less, so the inverter doesn't need to dissipate it.
Are you saying the inverter capacity can limit how much power the panels produce?

Are you saying the inverter capacity can limit how much power the panels produce?
Yes. The point of MPPT control is to maximize power output from panel(s). By altering the the voltage on the panel or string, the amperage (and power) varies. Let the voltage rise far enough and amperage (and power) goes to zero. Inverters very much throttle, or limit production. Obviously under most conditions, the goal is to maximize power from the panel(s), but under limiting conditions, yes, power is limited.

Solar energy (power) not removed of course is left as heat in the panel(s).

All the best,

BG

Reactions: nwdiver and jboy210
Thanks for the update guys. I guess now I understand . I have attached a picture of my solar set up. But I think 7.6 probably be OK. I’m gonna try to find on the regulation about Massachusett maximum 10 KW inverter. Attached house picture
The 10KW limit is for 1:1 net metering with full carry-over. The next level is up to 25KW and doesn't do 1:1 net metering and has more rules about carry over. I have a 12.24KW-DC 10KW-AC (solaredge inverter) system and only clip for short periods at full sun. Here is what I got yesterday.
IMG_0208E4EFB197-1.jpeg

The 10KW limit is for 1:1 net metering with full carry-over. The next level is up to 25KW and doesn't do 1:1 net metering and has more rules about carry over. I have a 12.24KW-DC 10KW-AC (solaredge inverter) system and only clip for short periods at full sun. Here is what I got yesterday.

Out of curiosity, is it a 11.4 KW inverter that's software limited to 10KW output or is there a specific 10KW inverter available?

The 10KW limit is for 1:1 net metering with full carry-over. The next level is up to 25KW and doesn't do 1:1 net metering and has more rules about carry over. I have a 12.24KW-DC 10KW-AC (solaredge inverter) system and only clip for short periods at full sun. Here is what I got yesterday. View attachment 784917
Looks like you are local to me . I am in Lynnfiled MA . Your system looks similar to mine . I have 7.6kw inverter. You have 10kw inverter . So I may will lose more energy