Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting the best TM3 1/4 Mile Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a TM3 Performance on the way. I’ve always enjoyed taking cars to the track, and know that certain factors can certainly influence your times.

For an ICE car, variables like humidity and heat eat away at your times. I know that charge state for EVs influences the power, but how does weather affect performance? For example, is colder weather better for faster runs at the expense of hindering range?

Ideally you want warm batteries (higher discharge) and cold motor(s) (higher power output).

Warm weather is better. Warm batteries plus less dense air (although that's probably mostly negligible unless at high speeds). Also the hot asphalt and stickier tires would result in better traction.

EV is going to be a lot more consistent, don't think you are going to find the variability you do with ICE.

Even traction wise the EV handles traction control so much better, an ICE tends to dial power way back and add it back slowly, electric seems to ride the ragged edge of traction better.

I have seen ICE vary close to a second based on seasonal weather extremes and traction, here in the midwest we can see seasonal temps swings of 60f+ while the tracks are open and BARO can swing an inch this can make for more than a 5000ft density altitude swing losing 15% or more of the oxygen needed to burn fuel.
I have raced at everything from low 30s at Union Grove situated between Chicago and Milwaukee in November to 103f in June in St Louis, seen times in an ICE vary nearly a second but since an EV isn't dependent on air density to burn fuel................