TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Getting things out from under the seats

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by djp, Jun 7, 2014.

1. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Loose change

Does anyone have any tricks to rescue coins that have fallen between the driver's seat and parking brake?

It looks like the seat needs to be removed to get under there - for now I'm treating it as a savings fund towards Roadster 3.0.

2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Abrupt deceleration?

3. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

A magnet if they attract.

But a high power vacuum with a nozzle that's reduced down and fits in the side crevice.

The driver's seat is not the bear to take out, its the passenger. I'd just pull the seat, get the coins and do a nice vacuum cleaning to clean up all the dust and stuff.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've had some modest success with this, but usually with slightly larger objects. Carbotech AX6 really helps...

- - - Updated - - -

The driver's seat slides forward enough that you can probably get your hand under there.

5. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Tried that. Carbotechs are on order.

Close, but not quite far enough.

That did it (sort of). The smallest attachment I had was still larger than the coins, so I ended up fishing them out of the vacuum bag. There are still a couple wedged under there, but I'll save them for a day when I need to pull the seat.

Thanks guys!

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

7. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I have one of those. It didn't work too good retrieving loose coins but it came in handy when I had to remove my rear tail lights.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

...or there's this.

9. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

I once used a foot long metal rod, 5mm diameter, with a lump of blu-tac bound onto the end with some wire. I was able to "dab" out the coins easily as they seem to stick to the blu-tac quite well.

10. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Duct tape is your friend!
    --

11. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I heard Canadian coins are magnetic, is that true? If so try the magnet pen trick.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Used to be true for many of the coins; nickels really had nickle in them. Not anymore.

13. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

#13 jaanton, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    So grrr.. One of those two AA battery metal flashlights escaped my pocket and got under the seats of my roadster. I've gotten things out from under the driver's seat before which isn't too hard because the seat moves enough to get at things. But this time it's under the passenger seat and what's annoying is that its heavy enough that turns, starts and stops all cause that flashlight to be heard as it travels around under the seat.

So, has anyone a suggestion short of removing the seat to get at this? I can't see a way in.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Seems to me this isn't the first thread on the topic... but I can't find the other one right now. (If someone spots it let me know and I'll merge.)

One suggested trick is to try really hard braking and see if it pops out the front. Failing that hard acceleration and see if it slides to the back.

15. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I believe this is one of the other threads Doug was talking about:
    Loose change

If the flashlight is made out of metal I'd use a strong magnet extension pen.

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Cool. I merged the threads, but kept the new name because it better describes the problem.