Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting tires for model S from Costco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a nail in a tire, discovered by the SC, they said it was too close to the edge and could not repair it. Said they didn't have the tire in stock so just go to a tire store. Based on some of the comments here folks suggesting there is some concern with not having this at the SC?

Only if you're paranoid. It's a tire. Tire shops tend to know what to do.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I guess I will just pickup tires from Costco and let Tesla sc install them

I was hoping to get free nitrogen in tires from Costco but I guess it’s not a big deal.

Since I damaged 3 tires on my first cross county drive, I have replaced the tires at Costco twice. First Michelins got about 55000 miles and the second set has about 40000 miles on them. Mine was the first Tesla in Perrysburg, OH (they put me in the system) and now Costco in Orlando does my work. One of the guys in the tire department drives a P85D and says they have about 35 Teslas come in. Also, all years of Tesla should be in their computers.

Personal opinion: Nitrogen is great. And I cannot believe Costco won't do your tires.

Reactions: bluepcc
I have 20k miles on MS and need new tires. Rockville service center wants $1400+ for 19” all season oem tires, I thought it was little high.

So I ordered from Costco, Michelin Promacy MX4 19” 245/45R19 for about $800. Now problem is getting them installed. Costco in Arundel Mills MD says they won’t do Tesla since it’s not in their system even though I told them I have jack pads and will show them how to lift the car.

Costco in Columbia MD says they can’t install tires if they aren’t OEM tires without foam in them (wtf). Other Costco’s tire center in area won’t even pickup phone.

Rockville SC said they will install Costco tires for me for $125 if I sign waiver since there aren’t oem tires.

Should I find a Costco who is willing to work on Tesla or just go with Rockville SC? I am surprised we have to just through hoops to get tires.

Thanks

I just had the same exact tires installed this Monday at my local Costco in Edison NJ. THEY had a promotion for the Michelin’s. Paid $800 something for all 4 tires installed. Not a bad deal

Nothing against any SC, but why would anyone go there for a normal tire situation. Way to expensive. I get tires from Tire Rack at half the price. Go to the smallest tire shop in town. He charges $20 per tire mount and balance. I get out my jack blocks and show them where they go. They have done 3 stes for me. And added presurre senors for new wheels at half the price of SC.
By the way , if you ever think you need front brake pads. NAPA shows same part number as Corvette Z06.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Sounds like I should give Gaitherburg Costco a call and see if they will do it . I work across the street from Rockville SC and about 4 miles from Gaitherburg Costco.

Just called Gaithersburg, MD costco tire center and talked to manager. He said they won't do Tesla even when I told him many others have gotten tires changed there. He said they did but there were so many problems so he is trying to save me trouble. At this point, I am giving up on Costo, I'll just take it to rockville SC, they said they will do it for $125.. already have an appt. set up.

I thought that the OEM tires were filled with some kind of sound deadening material. If true, does that mean installing your favorite tire from a place like Costco makes the car louder?

probably but reading reviews, many have used non-OEM tires and have been very happy... I guess I'll find out once they are installed. If not happy, next set will comes from Tesla SC !

Do you have a Town Fair Tire store in your area. They have fixed slow leaks in two of my S75 tires. One leak was caused by a staple and other a screw. They should be able to provide the correct new tires for your vehicle. The store I use in Marlborough, MA is excellent and they welcomed working on my Tesla. Tire repair is only $4.95, obviously a loss-leader.

I guess I will just pickup tires from Costco and let Tesla sc install them

I was hoping to get free nitrogen in tires from Costco but I guess it’s not a big deal.

Nitrogen vs air in tires makes no difference. Air vs Nitrogen makes no difference to the pressure in the tire with temperature changes. All gases behave idenically to temperature changes. They obey the ideal gas laws. Air is roughly 80% nitrogen. The gas law you’d be interested in to look at just temperature changes and effect on pressure would be Charle’s law.

Moisture: Since air for inflating tires comes from compressed air, the air compressor will remove most moisture from the air. The amount of moisture air can hold is dependent on temperature but independent of pressure, so an air compressor at 150 PSI will have 10 atmospheres pressure. This means the air has been compressed to 1/10 normal atmospheric volume. The compressed air at that temperature doesn’t hold any more moisture than non compressed air, so excess water puddles in the bottom of the compressor cylinder, that’s why the tanks have drain stopcocks in the bottom. When the air reexpands, it is capable of holding much more water, so the air in your tires is fairly well dehumidified anyway. Relative humidity is simply the ratio of water the gas holds dividided by the amount the gas is capable of holding, then mulitiplied by 100 to result in percent. The curve of the amount of water a gas can hold is not linear with temperature.

Then there’s the discussion of molecule size. The molecule size makes little difference. To diffuse though the tire, the air has to dissolve in the rubber. Then dissolved gas would move down the concentration gradient and eventually would diffuse out into the atmosphere surrounding tire. Tires just don’t lose much pressure with diffusion through the rubber. Now suppose for a minute that there was a big differnce in the diffusion rate of oxygen vs nitrogen. What would happen is some oxygen would diffuse through the tire wall leaving a higher concentration of nitrogen inside the tire. Conversely, if the oxigen diffusion through rubber was a factor, atmospheric oxygen would diffuse into the tire over time as well.

Oxidation of the rubber in the tire: It is UV that causes cracking of outside of an old tire, it isn’t rubber breakdown from within the pressurized tire. Besides the outside of the tire is exposed to ~20% oxygen in the atmosphere anyway. Removing the oxygen from the inside of the tire isn’t going to make any difference.

You can pay $5-7 per tire per fill for nitrogen. Some places charge up to $80 for 4 tires, and I believe there are some places that charge more than that. The reason Costco fills tires with nitrogen is that it takes away the independents ability to criticize Costco for not providing nitrogen. It’s marketing. Costco can give away the nitrogen because it is dirt cheap. Nitrogen is a byproduct of oxygen production from air.

There is absolutely no need to fill tires with nitrogen. It is a gimmick to make more money for people that install tires. You can pay for it if you want but there is no advantage. None of the reasons they give will stand up to scientific scrutiny.

On the other hand, besides the money there’s no disadvantage to using pure nitrogen, so if you want to pay for nitrogen, it isn’t going to hurt anything. I suppose it could cause harm if someone had an underinflated tire and was reluctant to inflate it with air.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Costco Seattle (Shoreline) still doesn’t install tires on Teslas. I just checked last week and the counter man started into a description of how challenging it was... I reminded him it was a yes or no answer. He took a breath and said “No.”

I ordered Winter Maxx WM02 245/45R19 ($781.42 after rebate) from Tire Rack and had them delivered to Firestone (mounting was $90) for an easy install. Note: I also provided a set of stock refurbished Tesla 19” rims ($685 from eBay). I installed new TPMS units ($109 for 4 via eBay). I would have preferred Firestone install them, but they don’t install owner supplied elements. The wicked person inside me pointed out I was supplying the tires and rims.

Firestone (Firestone Complete Auto on 45th in Ballard) did a great job. Very friendly and positive staff. Rims went in looking brand new and came out the same.

Decided on the purchasing extra rims as we will be keeping this S and feels like a good investment to have proper tires for the summer and winter in the Pacific Northwest.