Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting too used to Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually both since there are connected. If they come out with a discount for cars that didn't get it then people who are ordering might decide to NOT buy the option and wait for another sale. Also when city driving with red light/stop sign plus enhanced Summon happens you will see an increase in people who didn't order wanting to add and will see a higher value in it. Of course it's all speculation and Tesla does about anything and everything at times it seems.
I don't disagree that you will likely see an increase in demand once it's more fully developed, I was addressing the claim that there is high demand now. The pricing changes dictate that there isn't.

I'm actually of the belief that more features will be rolled into the base options of the vehicles, similar to what they did with AP, and the overall cost for most things will drop. The option package would maybe be things like autopark and summon with NoA rolled into the vehicles. Their ultimate goal is more autonomous vehicles on the road and they won't get that if they make it a minimum of $50K for a vehicles.

It's not that. The one thing I hate about AP right now is that at every onramp it'll slide half out of the lane and then abruptly back in as the merge happens, it sees itself in one big lane and then the lane narrows.

Some states like Tennessee have dots on most of the onramps which stop it, but otherwise I have to choose between an uncomfortable joggle that looks drunk/distracted or breaking Autopilot for every onramp. (Or driving in another lane, when there's no proper reason to.)

You're right, that is frustrating, and even our Model 3, which has the EAP, does this.

I drive quite a bit during evenings when the local deer are coming out of the woods to graze near the highways. Pretty much every day I see a dead deer.

Without auto steering, I was constantly focusing on my driving path and glancing to the side of the road for deer.

I find that by using auto steering I can better put my attention to the side of the road, watching out for deer, and glancing to my driving path. I think that is safer.

That is the only issue I've had. Fortunately, I'm rarely in the right lane, usually just keeping up with the flow in the left and occasionally moving over for people less concerned about a speeding ticket than me in which case I just move over, let them by, and move back.

One feature that Tesla could add to solve this would be to give AP the option of Left Bias / Centered / Right Bias. That way if you chose Left Bias it would keep a constant distance from the left line when the lane widens. In the UK you could set it to Right Bias.

Just a thought. Probably other solutions as well.
You guys! It’s not a bug, it’s a feature, called the “On-Ramp Wiggle”!! Embrace the dance!

But seriously, my 2013 S is old, slow, blind, and one-legged (no dual motor) so I don’t have the AP choice, but I’ve driven a friend’s 3 and my son’s 3 on long trips and while I would never go to sleep or read or whatever I absolutely trust AP to do the job ... with awake, aware human supervision. And AP gets shut off through construction zones; otherwise it’s just begging for trouble.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Southbound on the Dallas North Tollway for the last couple of miles before 635 at around 75 - 80 miles per hour (to avoid being rear ended.)
Some of those curves are white knuckle when AP is in control (and frequently when it isn't!)

Absolutely. That section I also believe (or it seems that way) that the lanes are narrower. I drive at the speed limit there, which I think is 65 mph. At 65 it does a perfect job, anything more is nerve wracking.

I'll just add a SUPER fun and very ANTI-getting use to AP is driving on curvy and challenging roads. It is like a form of racing but slow and legal. It requires full on attention, both hands on the wheel and monitoring of the speed and steering. I love seeing just how challenging a road AP will navigate. Hope doing this also contribute to the neural network.

With my AP3 car, the answer is all of them.

Proper markings can be an issue, but it navigates 15 mph hairpin turns on mountain roads cleanly, and just as fast as some of the more conservative drivers.

After seeing that multiple times in my roadtrip, I don't think there are any sections of actual paved road it can't tackle these days, as long as it correctly understands where the road is going (back to correct markings...)

I’m able to stay focused when I’m driving my car. When I use Autopilot I have a hard time focusing on supervising the car while it’s driving. It does a good job for a while and lulls me into a sense of complacency to where I get bored and my mind starts wandering. Then when it does something stupid I have to react quickly and hope I can take over in time. As I get older this becomes more challenging for me.

Interesting that it affects us so differently. The older I get the more cautious I get, and knowing that this is auto-steer, not FSD, I know that there are just two things it really does: Stays in the center of a well-marked lane, and adjusts speed to the car in front. I'm never complacent because I know this is a driver aid, not really self-driving.

I don't recommend using AP on city streets at this point unless it's bumper to bumper. Even then, it's easy to zonk out and forget about paying attention :rolleyes:

I don't use it in residential areas, where there's a stop at every other corner. But on city thoroughfares it works as well as on the highway.

I'd settle for smoother stops while using AP. Having it figure out the stopped traffic a bit late and then slam on the brakes is annoying.

Recent firmware upgrades seem to handle this much better than earlier ones. And there's always that right thumb wheel: You can slow down the car yourself! Remember, this is not a self-driving car. It's just a car with some very sweet driver aids.

On whether to pay for "FSD" and the differences between EAP and AP, the only EAP feature I use that's not in AP is auto lane change on demand. I.e., I use the turn-signal stalk to make the car change lanes on the highway occasionally. I cannot use NoA because there are no freeways here. If I only had AP I would not pay for FSD to get the EAP features.

I think I would pay for FSD to get reliable stop-light and stop-sign recognition. A big hurdle for developers will be that stop signs are sometimes obscured by foliage. I don't know if Level 2 NoA/city would be worth it to me. But upgrading the features I already have to Level 3 would definitely be worth money to me. I think that is several years away.

On Friday I started out on my first, coast-to-coast, cross-country, multi-week tour in my M3D from Florida to Washington (state). In north Florida and southern Georgia, I encountered some seriously heavy rain, variously called frog stranglers or gully washers. Although AP/EAP worked just fine most of this first day's trip, during those heavy rain sessions, the car just totally quit any attempt at doing auto-steer or even TACC at times, blaming it on the weather. True enough, it was difficult to see, but both I and the car I was following had no problem staying in our lane, keeping a safe distance, and even changing lanes as needed, relying on our old-fashioned non-AP skills. This scenario got me thinking what might be necessary in the "FSD" software that could properly and safely cope with that scenario without throwing up its bright red hands and announcing, "You Take Over, I Can't Any Longer"... Leaving it so would mean that it is FSD only in fair weather. Perhaps such weather is rare in California, but it happens too frequently in Florida.

Later in the day's journey, the auto-lane change also failed to execute changing lanes to the left. Due to the low sun angle, I assume the left-side camera was blinded by the bright sun, since it still worked just fine to the right and had previously.

That said, I am really enjoying my a 2018 metallic silver Model 3 Dual-motor.

I love my AP but I really wish they would fix the speed limit issue on the 10 mile stretch of straight road for my commute! It's listed at 45mph but speed limit is 55 and has been for 4 years. Can't go over 50mph and that'll get you run off the road. Not sure who gives Tesla their road data but this is really making me :mad::mad::mad:.
Do a bug report by holding down the right knob on the steering wheel

On Friday I started out on my first, coast-to-coast, cross-country, multi-week tour in my M3D from Florida to Washington (state). In north Florida and southern Georgia, I encountered some seriously heavy rain, variously called frog stranglers or gully washers. Although AP/EAP worked just fine most of this first day's trip, during those heavy rain sessions, the car just totally quit any attempt at doing auto-steer or even TACC at times, blaming it on the weather. True enough, it was difficult to see, but both I and the car I was following had no problem staying in our lane, keeping a safe distance, and even changing lanes as needed, relying on our old-fashioned non-AP skills. This scenario got me thinking what might be necessary in the "FSD" software that could properly and safely cope with that scenario without throwing up its bright red hands and announcing, "You Take Over, I Can't Any Longer"... Leaving it so would mean that it is FSD only in fair weather. Perhaps such weather is rare in California, but it happens too frequently in Florida.

Later in the day's journey, the auto-lane change also failed to execute changing lanes to the left. Due to the low sun angle, I assume the left-side camera was blinded by the bright sun, since it still worked just fine to the right and had previously.

That said, I am really enjoying my a 2018 metallic silver Model 3 Dual-motor.

Yes.

And there are a million other edge cases, all of which FSD needs to be able to deal with before Elon's promised Level 5 (no driver needed in the car) becomes a reality.

In fact, IMO, what's really needed for Level 5 is an AI so advanced that it can handle situations it has not been specifically programmed for. Level 4 (driver needed, but can be sleeping until called for) will probably be much easier. And Level 3 (driver awake but does not need to be alert) will be easier than that.

OTOH, none of the above needs to be perfect, and nothing ever is. They just have to be better than a human driver.

That's my biggest fear also: That I'll forget the car is not in AP and will fail to take action when there's an issue.

Interesting. I find it very easy to monitor the car to be ready to take over, while otherwise allowing it to keep itself in the lane. I frequently take over for a few moments, then give it back to the car.

Yes. This is something Tesla really needs to work on.

A very similar issue here on Maui: A lot of roads have such irrationally low speed limits that traffic flows ten to fifteen mph over the limit, and I either cause traffic to back up behind me, or I have to disengage EAP.

I've seen a couple people say this but you don't actually have to disengage AP ... AP will allow you to customize it to do X miles over the speed limit as a max where you make X whatever you want. So say the speed limit is really low, and even with the built in max it's still too slow for real world traffic pattern, you simply tap the plus to the right of the speed at the center of the nav screen, or even easier and my favorite, use the right scroll wheel to adjust that value up, thereby increasing the speed the car is allowed to go. Adjust down again as desired. Super easy and avoids the need to drop out of EAP only to resume a bit later...

I'll just add a SUPER fun and very ANTI-getting use to AP is driving on curvy and challenging roads. It is like a form of racing but slow and legal. It requires full on attention, both hands on the wheel and monitoring of the speed and steering. I love seeing just how challenging a road AP will navigate. Hope doing this also contribute to the neural network.

I don this sometimes as well. I suspect the feedback only shows up when you break out of AP because it doesn't hold the center of the curve. I find that AP likes to hug the outside edge of the curve. Not always, but often enough that I will correct it sometimes in hopes of getting feedback to Tesla engineers.

One disturbing case I run into on my daily commute is a poor merge onto the highway. When I engage AP on the on-ramp, it waits till the last minute to merge, then immediately tries to go the left edge of the lane. I always break out before letting it do what it wants. At some point I'll go and do that run in the middle of the night when there's no traffic so I can safely let AP have its head and see what it is really trying to do.

....I've seen a couple people say this but you don't actually have to disengage AP ... AP will allow you to customize it to do X miles over the speed limit as a max where you make X whatever you want. So say the speed limit is really low, and even with the built in max it's still too slow for real world traffic pattern, you simply tap the plus to the right of the speed at the center of the nav screen, or even easier and my favorite, use the right scroll wheel to adjust that value up, thereby increasing the speed the car is allowed to go. Adjust down again as desired. Super easy and avoids the need to drop out of EAP only to resume a bit later...
Did you read what the OP said? On city roads AP max is almost always 5mph over the speed limit and traffic is often wanting to go 10mph to 15mph over this. This causes a backup behind you.

I've seen a couple people say this but you don't actually have to disengage AP ... AP will allow you to customize it to do X miles over the speed limit as a max where you make X whatever you want. So say the speed limit is really low, and even with the built in max it's still too slow for real world traffic pattern, you simply tap the plus to the right of the speed at the center of the nav screen, or even easier and my favorite, use the right scroll wheel to adjust that value up, thereby increasing the speed the car is allowed to go. Adjust down again as desired. Super easy and avoids the need to drop out of EAP only to resume a bit later...

Are you saying that there's a way to increase the Maximum Autosteer speed above the limit of 5 mph over the posted speed limit?

When I try to go faster than 5 mph over the posted limit, the car tells me "No can do!" and adjusts itself back down. Is there a way to change it so it will go 10 mph over the posted limit? If so I want to know how!

Note, there is no such limit for TACC. Just for Autosteer.

Are you saying that there's a way to increase the Maximum Autosteer speed above the limit of 5 mph over the posted speed limit?

When I try to go faster than 5 mph over the posted limit, the car tells me "No can do!" and adjusts itself back down. Is there a way to change it so it will go 10 mph over the posted limit? If so I want to know how!

Note, there is no such limit for TACC. Just for Autosteer.

You can just press the gas down... on some roads you can’t set it to go 5 miles over the speed limit but you can go over by pressing the gas... it will still steer just fine..