TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Getting two NEMA 14-50 estimates on Tuesday

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by pkalhan, Jun 9, 2018.

1. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

HI Everyone,

I am having two electricians coming over on Tuesday to give me estimates on the cost of installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage near my main box. I am not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing so I wanted to ask if it is needed or required to get permits before having this outlet installed? If it is required I will get it done, but was also wondering why it is needed.

One of the electricians is a recommended electrician from Tesla's website. I am not thinking the cost should be too high as the outlet could go right where my breaker box is thought I would like it installed between my two garage doors so I could park in either spot and still charge. We will see how it goes and thanks in advance!!!

2. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Parts for a 14-50 installed within a few feed of a circuit breaker box should be $40-$100 (Home Depot pricing)

Plus labor - $100-$300

Plus permit. I wouldn’t recommend skipping the permit. It will be $100-$200 and it protects you if there is a problem. First, the inspector may notice and have a problem corrected. Second, it helps with liability if there is an undiscovered issue.

May vary greatly based on your area.

Edit to add- now is the least expensive time to put it exactly where you want.

3. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

$400 very maximum if by your box. Bareley any materials and 1 hr labor at most.

4. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

@brkaus thanks for the quick response. Attached is a pic of where I would be parking my car. To the right is where my main box is and that is probably the easiest and cheapest place to have it installed but I would prefer to have it installed by where my golf clubs are.

Attached Files:

5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I had this immediately below my breaker box. $50 in parts. Used it for 6 months. Eventually paid to have it where I really wanted it.

Attached Files:

6. fseir

fseir Member

Just make sure they install the outlet with the ground plug up. Mine installed it upside down, and I had to rotate it later myself (which can be difficult, if the wiring doesn’t have enough slack).

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. markb1

markb1 Active Member

In most places, you are required to have a permit for any additions to your electrical system. Adding a new receptacle would count. Your profile says you're in Pittsburgh, so here's a document from the City of Pittsburgh that lists what work does not require a permit:

http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/dcp/Standard_Permit_Application_Requirements.pdf

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

Either side of the garage door is a super easy install as long as you don’t mind the conduit. Like the others have said this should be about an hour labor.

10. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

Thanks for all the responses everyone!! I think getting the permits just to make sure I am safe is the right way to go and I am glad to hear that it sounds like it should be an easy job.

11. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

#11 T34ME, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    My panel is on the exterior of the garage. I had my NEMA14-50 installed on the interior of the garage within 2 feet of the 200 amp panel box. Total cost was $250 ($100 materials, $150 labor). Price for labor will vary depending on your local market. Yes, be sure the ground is in the up position!

My panel is connected to my Solar City panels on my roof. No "fuel" cost for my car, YIPPEE! [​IMG]

• Like x 3
  12. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

Just a heads-up: if your panel does not have enough room for another circuit, you'll have to add a sub-panel, which will cost 2-3x. For example, my house only has a a100 amp panel with one circuit free. to add 240 to the garage, we needed 2 free circuits, so the electiricn had to add a sub-panel first. Total time was 3+ hours for two guys (as I wanted to run the conduit thru the crawl space.

13. electracity

electracity Active Member

I would not let an electrician in the house if I thought he needed an inspection on such a simple job. Do you pull a permit when you have a plumber in the house?

• Disagree x 4
  14. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

@Big Dog yeah I understand that, I have a 200 AMP panel with plenty of room to spare so I think I am good on that front.

15. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

I would want an electrician who follows building codes and pulls permits if required.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  16. electracity

electracity Active Member

Only because you don't know anything about building or electricians. The people who always advise for electrical permits do so because of "feelings". I don't advise based on feelings, but rather on understanding the work involved and the electrical trade. It is far riskier to drive on the interstate at 80 mph than it is to hire an established electrician to put in a plug without a permit.

Are you aware that in most of the developed world, including Germany, that there is no permit for this work?

• Disagree x 2
  17. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

@electracity I believe quite a few localities require permits for this type of work. I believe my locality requires this too so I think the smart play is to be better safe than sorry...especially since I know nothing about how to do this sort of work. I would also think a certified electrician would want to follow the proper procedures of his trade. I mean, what if something were to go wrong...then what? Or even something simpler...if I wanted to sell my house I would believe a prospective buyer, during an inspection, would want to know if I got a permit to have an outlet like that installed.

18. garrity

garrity Member

I would put it in a place where it could be accessed no matter where you park your car. Especially if you end up getting a second EV.

• Like x 1
  19. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

@garrity I agree. I think between my two garage doors would be best. I think the cord if 20 feet long so in-between both parking spots would be best.

20. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

Someone needs to run that numbers to be sure your panel has enough spare capacity. You don't want to discover that it doesn't after the installation.
    My 14-50 cost about $1800, with a 100-foot run from the panel to the garage.
    Robin