Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting two NEMA 14-50 estimates on Tuesday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both electricians did say that for adding a 240V outlet does not require any permits but they also said they can both do that and get the work inspected.

But per the link I provided upthread, it does require a permit. Or are you not in the jurisdiction of the City of Pittsburgh? (My understanding is that this requires a permit just about everywhere in the US, but I haven't verified that except with my local jurisdiction and now Pittsburgh.)

@markb1 first I would thank you for the link you provided, I do not think I thanked you before, my apologies. I live in a suburb of Pittsburgh (about 17 miles north of the city). Maybe that might be the reason?

I got the estimate from the second electrician $571 for the work and install, $210 for the permits and inspection, $49.99 trip fuel and vehicle maintenance.

The first estimate was a total of $540.81 ---> $420.81 for labor and install and $120.00 for inspection (no permit).

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
@markb1 first I would thank you for the link you provided, I do not think I thanked you before, my apologies. I live in a suburb of Pittsburgh (about 17 miles north of the city). Maybe that might be the reason?

I got the estimate from the second electrician $571 for the work and install, $210 for the permits and inspection, $49.99 trip fuel and vehicle maintenance.

The first estimate was a total of $540.81 ---> $420.81 for labor and install and $120.00 for inspection (no permit).

I think it's likely that you still are still legally required to get a permit. If it were me, I'd verify that and then tell any electrician who lies to me to take a hike.

Received an email quote from one electrician I contacted. He said jobs like mine start at $800 PLUS permit/inspection fees. WTF! Here's a diagram of what my setup looks like. No way this job should actually cost that much, should it?
The garage and basement share a small section of wall (as seen in the diagram) which I believe should be fairly easy for an electrician to run a wire through. 10-15' of wire from the panel to the install location, with just one unfinished wall to go through.
diagram.jpg

recently getting quotes in the Orange County area of California from $350-700.
easy install in garage, right next to breaker box, extra room in breaker box.
material costs should be $50 at most for this type of install. install 1, maybe 2 hours
seems excessive when you break it down to parts and labor costs.

recently getting quotes in the Orange County area of California from $350-700.
easy install in garage, right next to breaker box, extra room in breaker box.
material costs should be $50 at most for this type of install. install 1, maybe 2 hours
seems excessive when you break it down to parts and labor costs.
It depends. My electrician said that if I allowed him to take out a piece of 6" x 24" sheetrock so he could fish the #6 wire more easily through two 90 deg. bends it would save me about $250 in labor. I said "go for it, I will repair the sheetrock." And he did, easy peasy. Also here is the additional cost of the inspection/permit. And it is Orange County labor rates. $350 to $700 sounds about right to me.

It depends. My electrician said that if I allowed him to take out a piece of 6" x 24" sheetrock so he could fish the #6 wire more easily through two 90 deg. bends it would save me about $250 in labor. I said "go for it, I will repair the sheetrock." And he did, easy peasy. Also here is the additional cost of the inspection/permit. And it is Orange County labor rates. $350 to $700 sounds about right to me.

I'm not an electrician, but I have seen it installed before and right next to breaker is as easy as it gets. I get different installs have different variables especially if want to install further away from the breaker box. But $700 for next to breaker box install is excessive and electricians are getting away with it since people apparently are paying it. $350 seems to be the lowest going rate for licensed electrician Can probably get lower for handyman.

I'm not an electrician, but I have seen it installed before and right next to breaker is as easy as it gets. I get different installs have different variables especially if want to install further away from the breaker box. But $700 for next to breaker box install is excessive and electricians are getting away with it since people apparently are paying it. $350 seems to be the lowest going rate for licensed electrician Can probably get lower for handyman.
Keep in mind when one gets the recommended electrical permit, the inspection window is generally AM or PM, which means that electrician needs to be at your house waiting. The electrician's time is not free. There may be a journeyman (electrician-in-training) involved as well. If one treats these jobs like a day's worth or work, you will understand. Add driving time to job site/planning dept. and most buy materials per job. One could simply avoid the trades and simply seek out a handyman, as their labor rates tend to be lower.

Received an email quote from one electrician I contacted. He said jobs like mine start at $800 PLUS permit/inspection fees. WTF! Here's a diagram of what my setup looks like. No way this job should actually cost that much, should it?
The garage and basement share a small section of wall (as seen in the diagram) which I believe should be fairly easy for an electrician to run a wire through. 10-15' of wire from the panel to the install location, with just one unfinished wall to go through.
View attachment 309392

So I've received more email quotes for the above-described NEMA 14-50 install.
Estimate 1 - $685 (plus $185 for optional permit)
Estimate 2 - $1,050 (plus $180 permit)

Good lord, this is more expensive than I thought. I have 3 guys coming out today to give estimates in person. I'm hoping one of them can come under $500 at least. At least MD gives a 40% rebate on EVSE + install costs. I'm starting to wonder if these electricians are padding their estimates, knowing people are eligible for the 40% rebate.

Since a heavy duty NEMA 14-50 runs $37, I'm guessing parts might be 2x that amount.
you can get a heavy duty NEMA 14-50 plug for $10 on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-279-Receptacle-Industrial-Grounding/dp/B00009W3AA

wires and 50amp breaker are definitely less than $40 for right next to breaker box.
definitely don't mind paying fair cost for the job, but we shouldn't be justifying electricians excessive quotes and normalizing them.
if you call an electrician to come and repair a plug i don't expect to pay couple hundred dollar premium to pay for their travel and journeymen costs. moral of the story is to get multiple quotes and don't be shocked at the wide range of costs you will get.

• Informative
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
I thought I have read other posts on TMC that the $10 ver was not very heavy duty, and that a more industrial-strength was recommended (like the link below) if planning on regular use (plug-unplug). But fully admit not an electrician.

BRYANT 50A Industrial Environments Receptacle, Black; Tamper Resistant: No - 49YY93|9450FR - Grainger
not an electrician either but i don't think most electricians will be installing the fully industrial strength plugs for residential installs.
have a guy coming for $350 tomorrow will see what kind of plug he brings.

Here is Tesla’s installation guide which lists two examples of high quality 14-50 outlets:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/US/universalmobileconnector_nema_14-50.pdf

^^that recommended Hubbell is $80 on amazon. I believe the reason for a heavy duty plug is that it is designed for for multiple (daily) plug in-plug out uses, unlike an electrical dryer receptacle which gets used (plug in-plug out) once every ~10 years.

Personally, after spending $50k on a car, I'm not too concerned about $50 extra on a plug in the garage.

Reactions: Troy916 and pkalhan
So I've received more email quotes for the above-described NEMA 14-50 install.
Estimate 1 - $685 (plus $185 for optional permit)
Estimate 2 - $1,050 (plus $180 permit)

Good lord, this is more expensive than I thought. I have 3 guys coming out today to give estimates in person. I'm hoping one of them can come under $500 at least. At least MD gives a 40% rebate on EVSE + install costs. I'm starting to wonder if these electricians are padding their estimates, knowing people are eligible for the 40% rebate.

Got 4 more quotes today. All said they needed about 30' of wire.
Estimate 3 - $724 inclusive of permit fees
Estimate 4 - $350
Estimate 5 - $687

I think I'm going with #4.

@bro1999 looks good man! I will be getting mine installed on 7/3. Can you tell me what the length is from the top of the plug to the bottom of the "brick" portion of the charger? I am making a stand so that the "brick" portion can be held up by something so that the weight won't put too much pressure on the actual plug. Did anything I just typed make any sense??? :confused:

@bro1999 looks good man! I will be getting mine installed on 7/3. Can you tell me what the length is from the top of the plug to the bottom of the "brick" portion of the charger? I am making a stand so that the "brick" portion can be held up by something so that the weight won't put too much pressure on the actual plug. Did anything I just typed make any sense??? :confused:

Do some googling around. Some people have set up hooks to support and secure the MWC.