Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Winter Tires Installed - anything special I need to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting new winter tires mounted on the stock 19" rims and using the existing TPMSes. Apart from the following, are there other things I need to be aware of?

1. Reset the TPMS via the touchscreen (basically press then follow its instructions)
2. Normal stuff like check tire pressure and properly torqued wheels

Should be that simple right?

1. They might need a tutorial on the key-fob and the gear-shift. PNRD stick. Whatever.
2. Show them how to set the suspension to max height (if you have that option)
3. Mark the tires so they can be put on the same corners next spring
4. Make sure they know where the lift points are so they don't damage the battery
5. They'll look at the sticker and try to set the pressure to 42. It should be at least 45, some say 50
6. After they reset my pressures to 45, the TPMS said they were at 42. Turns out the calibration on the air compressor was off. Take it for a little drive until the TPMS recalibrates, then take it back if it turns out the pressures are wrong. (I LOVE that V7.0 finally displays the individual tire pressures!)

For sure pay close attention to the wheel nut torque. It's way higher than most cars.

Watch
them use a torque wrench to set the torque. Don't let some minimum-wage tire jockey do it without supervision.

Don't let them hammer the nuts on with an impact wrench, they will destroy your lug nuts. Don't even let them take them off with an impact wrench - they should break them with a breaker bar, and then they can spin them off with the impact.

I've seen the aftermath of a friend getting his summer wheels put on at a local "very reputable tire shop" (i.e. a large chain). I had to take them off with a one-size-larger socket, because they were so badly distorted. He had to buy new lug nuts.

If they under-torque your lug nuts, it may actually cause your rotors to warp. Not to mention that your wheels may come off the car. (Not kidding.)

Personally, I would prominently stand there and watch everything they do. If they won't let you stand somewhere where you can see what they are doing, take your car somewhere else.

These are not your average steelies.

Last edited:
I printed out and laminated the jacking and lifting page from the PDF version of the owner's manual and leave it in the glove box. I pull it out and leave it on the dash whenever I have the car in for tire service. I also have a laminated copy of the towing instructions in case I ever need a tow from a non-Tesla service. Fortunately haven't needed to use that one yet!