Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting XM in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use my Phone app (tip go into settings and change Audio Quality to HIGH if you have an Unlimited data plan). It sounds as good as the built-in streaming services Tesla offers. But I will say after using both I may just stick with the included Slacker service and not renew my SXM subscription when it comes due in a year.

I wrangled the All Access package from SXM a few weeks ago for $99/yr. But the stand-alone app is like $9/mo if you go that route. I do use the app in the house.

Reactions: interfx
Has anyone installed a Onyx Satellite Radio using a vehicle kit from Sirius XM in their Model 3 or Y? How easy was it to install and does it play with good sound quality? I know I can stream XM from my phone however you must always have cell coverage. Thanks!
I found this thread helpful to walk you through the various options.

I'm leaning towards installing a small receiver with bluetooth:

How to get Sirius/XM in a Tesla

I use my Phone app (tip go into settings and change Audio Quality to HIGH if you have an Unlimited data plan). It sounds as good as the built-in streaming services Tesla offers. But I will say after using both I may just stick with the included Slacker service and not renew my SXM subscription when it comes due in a year.

I wrangled the All Access package from SXM a few weeks ago for $99/yr. But the stand-alone app is like $9/mo if you go that route. I do use the app in the house.

All Access XM requires a radio account to get all the streaming channels. The best "all-streaming" subscription omits any MLB channels.

I converted my $150/year All Access (radio was in my now-sold MS) to a $40/6 month Premium streaming (sans MLB). I'm still sad that Tesla stripped XM from the M3 and MY.

Reactions: mycroftxxx
I use the phone app along with an Amazon Echo Auto inside my Jeda Hub (don't seen the SSD as I have the USB in the glove box). It works great. I simply say, "Alexa, play Sirius XM Shade 45" or whatever, and it plays. It hears me through the center console cover and Jeda cover. Not a bad solution for $20.

I use the phone app along with an Amazon Echo Auto inside my Jeda Hub (don't seen the SSD as I have the USB in the glove box). It works great. I simply say, "Alexa, play Sirius XM Shade 45" or whatever, and it plays. It hears me through the center console cover and Jeda cover. Not a bad solution for $20.
Wait. Where is the audio output after your verbal command to Echo Auto, on the car's speakers through Bluetooth?

Reactions: patnshan
it always amazes me how quickly after someone asks the question "how do i get satellite radio in my car?" the answer always is (and the thread quickly devolves into) "just use your phone."

even though the original question didn't ask about using your phone. even though "just use your phone" doesn't work when there's no cell signal. even more so when the initial question specifically mentions both and asks about using the traditional method of getting a satellite radio signal...

I know I can stream XM from my phone however you must always have cell coverage. Thanks!

it's just amazing.

All Access XM requires a radio account to get all the streaming channels. The best "all-streaming" subscription omits any MLB channels.

I converted my $150/year All Access (radio was in my now-sold MS) to a $40/6 month Premium streaming (sans MLB). I'm still sad that Tesla stripped XM from the M3 and MY.
I owned a Volt when I got that package. But $99 was still a pretty good deal.

Looking to get a Model Y next year and need to have a SiriusXM radio in the car. The majority of my wife's daily commute is a no cell phone service drive. We live in the US National Radio Quiet Zone United States National Radio Quiet Zone - Wikipedia. So not really any options.

extreme low power devices like the FM transmitter in portable XM units shouldn't be an issue (i would imagine they shouldn't, anyway)...but if they are, there is a bluetooth dock for the portable xm units now.

The SiriusXM app works for me when I leave it in the Favorites tab and have my 6 favorite stations loaded on the phone. Then set the app to bypass the phone's screen saver and leave it sitting on the charger. It's in direct line of sight and easy to press a favorite station to quickly switch over to it.

The only bad thing, and I wish there was a way to stop this from happening on the app, is when you click on a favorite station it takes you to that screen and you have to back out to go back to the 6 favorite stations showing on your phone. Not that difficult to do while driving, but it would be nice if you could just tap the icons in the Favorites section and still stay in that same screen menu so you can keep pressing through the different channels.

• Informative
Reactions: rxlawdude