TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Getting Your Model S Off (so to speak)

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Todd Burch, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

In many places, the Model S Owner's Guide refers to your Model S being off. "If your Model S is already off..."

What does that mean? Does that just mean the touchscreen/dash screens are off? What does "off" mean with respect to the Model S? (Surely it's not referring to "off off off off", in which the car does no battery temperature monitoring, etc.)

In my eyes, the Model S has four interpretations of off, listed here in increasing degrees of off-ed-ness:

Off: In Park.
    Off Off: Touchscreen/control panel screen off.
    Off Off Off: Battery is close to bricking...car has disabled all systems to save remaining battery and prevent bricking.
    Off Off Off Off: Model S is completely off, and no longer doing any sort of thermal management, battery cooling, etc.

Thus the confusion :).

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

In at least three places, they indicate that "fully" (my word) Off means you chose the following on the touchscreen:
    1. CONTROLS.
    2. E-Brake & Power Off
    3. POWER OFF

3. Todd Burch

To clarify, I'm not asking how to get the car in this state. I'm asking what it means to be in that state, or why you want to be in that state. Surely you don't do that every time you finish driving?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I suppose we could try to relate it to the various modes in a conventional vehicle
    Dead ---off off off off
    Park---- off off off
    Accessory Mode----Minimal power, radio, etc.--off off
    Ignition ON (engine not started)--Electronics powered, engine not on-off
    Running----Ready

5. Todd Burch

So when I park the car in the garage, plug it in, and go inside at the end of the day...that is not "off" mode per the User Guide. When I'm done for the day, do I need to select the "Power Off" setting from the touchscreen, or is that only for certain other circumstances?

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

You only need to select "power off" from the touchscreen when you don't put the car in park, and want it off.

7. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

when you park your car for a long time, and you can not plug it in, is it better to put it in "power off" or just leave it!
    would be good if you could put it "asleep' and only thermal controle working
    waking up will take longer, but your battery is not drained as fast.

Just guessing, don't know it's possible

8. Chas F

Chas F Model S 60kWh #P6396

I assume Power Off puts the car in the same state as when you exit the car with the key fob in your pocket.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

My understanding is...

You just plug it in. I concur that they need better names for these states. Perhaps "in motion", "active", and "unpowered".

"In motion": engine is engaged (speed > 0mph).
    "Active": radio's on, interior lights might be on, etc.
    "Unpowered": truly off as per the steps I referenced in post 2

When plugging in at night, you want Active because that includes things like cooling, charging, and rebalancing the battery.