Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Your Model S Off (so to speak)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In many places, the Model S Owner's Guide refers to your Model S being off. "If your Model S is already off..."

What does that mean? Does that just mean the touchscreen/dash screens are off? What does "off" mean with respect to the Model S? (Surely it's not referring to "off off off off", in which the car does no battery temperature monitoring, etc.)

In my eyes, the Model S has four interpretations of off, listed here in increasing degrees of off-ed-ness:

Off: In Park.
Off Off: Touchscreen/control panel screen off.
Off Off Off: Battery is close to bricking...car has disabled all systems to save remaining battery and prevent bricking.
Off Off Off Off: Model S is completely off, and no longer doing any sort of thermal management, battery cooling, etc.

Thus the confusion :).

I suppose we could try to relate it to the various modes in a conventional vehicle
Dead ---off off off off
Park---- off off off
Accessory Mode----Minimal power, radio, etc.--off off
Ignition ON (engine not started)--Electronics powered, engine not on-off
Running----Ready

So when I park the car in the garage, plug it in, and go inside at the end of the day...that is not "off" mode per the User Guide. When I'm done for the day, do I need to select the "Power Off" setting from the touchscreen, or is that only for certain other circumstances?

So when I park the car in the garage, plug it in, and go inside at the end of the day...that is not "off" mode per the User Guide. When I'm done for the day, do I need to select the "Power Off" setting from the touchscreen, or is that only for certain other circumstances?

You only need to select "power off" from the touchscreen when you don't put the car in park, and want it off.

when you park your car for a long time, and you can not plug it in, is it better to put it in "power off" or just leave it!
would be good if you could put it "asleep' and only thermal controle working
waking up will take longer, but your battery is not drained as fast.

Just guessing, don't know it's possible

When I'm done for the day, do I need to select the "Power Off" setting from the touchscreen, or is that only for certain other circumstances?
My understanding is...

You just plug it in. I concur that they need better names for these states. Perhaps "in motion", "active", and "unpowered".

"In motion": engine is engaged (speed > 0mph).
"Active": radio's on, interior lights might be on, etc.
"Unpowered": truly off as per the steps I referenced in post 2

When plugging in at night, you want Active because that includes things like cooling, charging, and rebalancing the battery.