Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

gf cant get into car with iphone app. 24/7 SERVICE WONT ANSWER PHONE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla servers are down since late morning ET USA. Assume she doesn’t have a fob? Sorry, but S and X are not recommended to be driven without a fob. They depend on cell service if you don’t use a fob and that’s not really a good idea. (The 3 has local BT from the phone, completely different.)

Support is buried in people calling about the same issue since they aren’t here reading the threads on the issue.

She is not happy right now. even called service center and no help-on hold for ever...still...wait till the 3 is out-will be a nightmare!

Point is the car is at the mercy of all the tech stuff which sucks.

Why doesn't she hang up, call back, and utilize the option for a callback when her number comes up in the queue?

That aside, I don't rely upon the app for an S and always have the fob with me. I surely wouldn't do anything differently for a 3.

I'm just not that brave.

And have an inherent belief that technology can and will fail in direct proportion to inconvenience caused.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
The "fob" for the Model 3 is ridiculous. You have to swipe it on the B-pillar to unlock and then put it in the center console. Can't have it in your pocket or anywhere else. Shifting basic functions like this to your phone, so Tesla can save $10 on a fob, is going to come back to haunt them. It's one of the big weaknesses with Model 3. Very cumbersome.

The "fob" for the Model 3 is ridiculous. You have to swipe it on the B-pillar to unlock and then put it in the center console. Can't have it in your pocket or anywhere else. Shifting basic functions like this to your phone, so Tesla can save $10 on a fob, is going to come back to haunt them. It's one of the big weaknesses with Model 3. Very cumbersome.

The phone/bluetooth “key” functionality in the Model 3 works perfectly fine without a working connection to the mothership, does it not?

Reactions: liuping
The phone/bluetooth “key” functionality in the Model 3 works perfectly fine without a working connection to the mothership, does it not?
I’ve seen if you are logged in then the phone works fine as a key, etc. if you log out you are screwed when the servers are down since you need to be logged in. So keep the app logged on and you should be fine.

The S and X need the fob as always recommended.

• Informative
Reactions: liuping
The purpose of the phone key has nothing to do with cost savings on a fob. Its purpose is to free you from having to carry around a bulky key since you are already carrying around your phone. I've never had any problem with phone-as-key with my iPhone-6s until today, but that was because I was coming out of a theater performance and I'd set my phone on airplane mode, so the blue-tooth was off. Solved it the moment I took the phone out of my pocket and it was also a handy "reminded" so I didn't go around with my phone unconnected.

I think that Tesla should probably sell a Bluetooth fob for those poor souls who's phones don't work properly.

The purpose of the phone key has nothing to do with cost savings on a fob. Its purpose is to free you from having to carry around a bulky key since you are already carrying around your phone. I've never had any problem with phone-as-key with my iPhone-6s until today, but that was because I was coming out of a theater performance and I'd set my phone on airplane mode, so the blue-tooth was off. Solved it the moment I took the phone out of my pocket and it was also a handy "reminded" so I didn't go around with my phone unconnected.

I think that Tesla should probably sell a Bluetooth fob for those poor souls who's phones don't work properly.
Well now, it is a stretch to say it has "nothing" to do with saving money. It does save cost whether that is the main motive or not. Personally I am not a fan of being required to carry my phone to open a car. Agree, BT fob would suit me fine :D