Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GFCI Breaker is Code for EV Charging

jstjohnz

Sep 7, 2020
Indianapolis
After doing a bit more research I think I have answered my own question. I don't see why EV charging equipment would not operate on a circuit protected by a GFCI breaker. What MAY happen is nuisance tripping of the GFCI breaker but this is unlikely if the GFCI breaker is operating properly.

The EV connectors do have GFCI protection built in. Unlike a standard GFCI breaker or receptacle it can auto-reset after a time delay.
There is an additional level of protection to make sure that the safety ground wire is connected. This is done by allowing a small amount of current to flow from each 'hot' wire to ground. If ground is open no current will flow and this is a fault. It is this test current that could potentially trip a GFCI breaker although the amount of current is well below the standard GFCI breaker threshold.

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
People charge all the time from 15A and 20A 120V receptacles with no issues, and most likely those are GFCI protected if in a garage. Why no reported issues with those?
o_O You haven't looked. This is a very frequently reported problem, with threads like these:

Problems charging at 110v on GFCI circuit

GFCI Outlet Tripping Sometimes

Issues with 110v gfic outlets

GFI keeps tripping even with nothing plugged in

Any Issues Using GFCI Breakers for Charging Circuit?

Tripping circuit breaker

GFCI trips when charging starts

Another Breaker Tripping thread

Ck90211

Feb 28, 2021
MD
All the talk of over tripping due to GFCI breakers + GFCI devices is nonsense. Most hair dryer cords have GFCI, and all bathroom outlets should be on GFCI or have GFCI breakers. So when properly wired they only trip to save you not annoy you.

I understand and agree with not over spending on needless things, but if you can afford a tesla or anything that can take advantage of latest 240v 50+ amp charging, you can afford a 70 amp gfci breaker, a reputable/listed level 2 charger, 4 awg wires in proper conduit and the right outlet/outlet box for the environment it's in.

GHammer

What a long strange trip its been.
Feb 1, 2016
Wren, Oregon
All the talk of over tripping due to GFCI breakers + GFCI devices is nonsense. Most hair dryer cords have GFCI, and all bathroom outlets should be on GFCI or have GFCI breakers. So when properly wired they only trip to save you not annoy you.

This is not an equivalent scenario. The issue is not having two interrupters in line, the issue is the EVSE doing a test for ground and that test tripping the GFCI.

C-Bus Y

Oct 20, 2020
Columbus, Ohio
50 amp GFCI breaker on my 6# 110 foot run using a NEMA 14-50 and included charger for 32 amp charging. Has not tripped a single time. Using in an attached garage that should* stay dry but you never know.

caffeinated

Aug 4, 2020
Seattle, WA
50 amp GFCI breaker on my 6# 110 foot run using a NEMA 14-50 and included charger for 32 amp charging. Has not tripped a single time. Using in an attached garage that should* stay dry but you never know.
Same. Our SquareD Homeline GFCI breaker has worked perfectly so far. About $90 more than the non-GFCI breaker, but as long as it continues to work I'm glad we have it.

Fidalgo

Jun 12, 2020
Anacortes, WA
We had a high-quality 60 amp GFCI installed by professionals (just for the conventional NEMA 14-50, not the Tesla charger) and have had some nuisance trips. Sometimes it happens and sometimes not, no consistency. The electrician said he didn't know why GFCI was required - our breaker is indoors, away from any water, and only used for the Model Y - but did so to satisfy code. We had him come back, but after tightening and double-checking things the trip still occasionally happens, very randomly. We had another nuisance trip on a GFCI breaker on a completely different 110 circuit. I could swap them out, but am hesitant because I don't understand what it is that is causing the trip, since it happens at different points in the charging cycle. I don't want to damage my car or house. If any electricians out there can weigh in on the pros and cons of switching to a conventional breaker, I'd appreciate it.

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
We had a high-quality 60 amp GFCI installed by professionals (just for the conventional NEMA 14-50, not the Tesla charger) and have had some nuisance trips. Sometimes it happens and sometimes not, no consistency. The electrician said he didn't know why GFCI was required - our breaker is indoors, away from any water, and only used for the Model Y - but did so to satisfy code.
:eek: [facepalm]
Um, except that using a 60A breaker on a 50A outlet type IS A BLATANT CODE VIOLATION! Code is abundantly clear in saying that the overcurrent protection device (breaker) must be no higher than the rating of the outlet type. For a 14-50 outlet, that cannot be any higher than a 50A breaker.

• Funny
Reactions: MY-Y

Fidalgo

Jun 12, 2020
Anacortes, WA
It took a loooong time to get a reply from Tesla on this question, but I finally got one from Wall Connector Support. Answer: "The GFCI breaker can indeed be the issue as your car / charger also come with GFCI. Having it in both the charging system and breaker will cause it to trip from time to time. Installing a non GFCI breaker will resolve this issue."

So I switched to a non-GFCI breaker. So far, no nuisance trips.

Reactions: rxlawdude

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC