Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GFCI Plug in Garage Tripping with Mobile Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey guys, my breaker panel is in the garage and the plugs in the garage are connected to an outlet with gfci (regular household plug not 14-50). When I plug the mobile connector in it sometimes trips. The outlet is on an outside wall in the garage so I believe by code it has to have a gfci. Anybody else have this? What's the resolution? I am trying to get a Wall Connector installed in the coming weeks but was wondering if there was any quick fix for this.

thanks!

I've heard its not recommended to use the mobile connector with a GFCI plug. In your case you probably need that GFCI there as its outdoors. Try lowering your amperage in the car from 12 to 10amps. See if this helps. Charging will be a little slower but better than tripping and not charging at all.

I've used a mobile connector without issue on a GFCI. Try to make sure you don't have other active loads on that circuit while charging the car, or if that's unavoidable, then lower the charging current as suggested above. If you're not overloading the circuit and it still trips, I'd try replacing the GFCI. Sometimes they start to trip too easily as they age.

There have been a lot of threads about GFCI tripping. Here is a comment where I consolidated links to a bunch of these.
GFCI Breaker is Code for EV Charging

And in the future, something more general electrical like GFCI outlets really doesn't need to be in the Northwest regional section of the forum. Maybe try the "Supercharging and Charging Infrastructure" section and maybe the North America subsection there.