Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GFCi requirement in Ontario?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, tried googling whether a disconnect is needed for a 50amp run. Humorous response here...

Still trying to locate the specific code requirement as none of the electricians I spoke to, or that quoted, quoted a disconnect.

I can’t believe I’m doing this again, if you are searching forums for answers then you are in the wrong place. The CEC table 2 gives you the answer. Rule 4-006 if it still stands says the allowable termination temperature. I’m not going to assume what temperature termination rating breaker/cable you have because it’s clearly marked on the equipment. There is no guess work because there is a rule book. The book is not influenced by Internet forums or strangers giving out free advice. You don’t have to agree with it, you don’t have to like it, you just have to follow it. Failure to do so will probably end with a visit from an insurance adjuster. Do not assume the regulations from the US of A is going to be shared in Canada. That’s why there is a specific code book for Canada.

Reactions: RAM_Eh
I can’t believe I’m doing this again, if you are searching forums for answers then you are in the wrong place. The CEC table 2 gives you the answer. Rule 4-006 if it still stands says the allowable termination temperature. I’m not going to assume what temperature termination rating breaker/cable you have because it’s clearly marked on the equipment. There is no guess work because there is a rule book. The book is not influenced by Internet forums or strangers giving out free advice. You don’t have to agree with it, you don’t have to like it, you just have to follow it. Failure to do so will probably end with a visit from an insurance adjuster. Do not assume the regulations from the US of A is going to be shared in Canada. That’s why there is a specific code book for Canada.
According to CEC 2015:
86-304 Disconnecting means
(1) A separate disconnecting means shall be provided for each installation of electric vehicle supply equipment
rated at 60 A or more, or more than 150 volts-to-ground.

A 240V outlet is 120V to ground
So if your charger is less than 60A, you don't need a disconnect but you can still install a disconnect for peace of mind