Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GFCI trips when charging starts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another interesting one.

My Wall Charger is connected to an 100A subpanel. The garage plugs are on the actual service panel with a GFCI breaker that came with the house. My Garage GFCI has always been very sensitive. For example when I start my table saw it may trip or little fountain may cause it trip. Now when my charger start charging it trips. Chargers is fine and continues to charge since it is on a separate line, but my other garage stuff like garage door opener or water softener gets messed up. Can it be because of the 48A draw that causes it. I will just change the breaker first to see if it is one of those who is too Californian. :)

Onur

Another interesting one.

My Wall Charger is connected to an 100A subpanel. The garage plugs are on the actual service panel with a GFCI breaker that came with the house. My Garage GFCI has always been very sensitive. For example when I start my table saw it may trip or little fountain may cause it trip. Now when my charger start charging it trips. Chargers is fine and continues to charge since it is on a separate line, but my other garage stuff like garage door opener or water softener gets messed up. Can it be because of the 48A draw that causes it. I will just change the breaker first to see if it is one of those who is too Californian. :)

Onur

I had the same problem, apparently the UMC doesn't play nice with GFCI breakerso. Not surprised that the HPWC doesn't like them either. I haven't had any problems after I replaced with similarly rated non-GFCI breaker.

Just run the wiring off of the regular breaker. Ground fault checking is done by the HPWC of UMC

Uhh, guys, OP is describing how his EVSE is tripping the GFCI on a circuit that it's not connected to (hence the 'garage plugs go out, but charger keeps charging' part)...
Correct. It could be a signal that the charger sends trip the gfci even if they are not on the same panel. Since my house uses a Cutler Hammer breaker, it is like 40 years old. Couldn't find it in the big box stores or distribution stores, I ordered online.
If it solves my problem, it is great. Otherwise I will use a regular breaker and install individual GFI outlets.