Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GFCI vs non-GFCI breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In NJ we may be forced by town rules to install our NEMA 14-50R on a GFCI breaker; this conflicts with Tesla's advice (link):

Tesla recommends installing a NEMA 14-50R receptacle connected to a non GFCI 50A breaker.

I can see the safety aspect (Wikipedia link) but if TM says no to GFCI, maybe it won't work or something.

I'll also follow up with TM but: Any opinions on how critical this is? Thanks in advance.

I thinks the request of Tesla applies with the old drivetrain with the integrated charger, using the ac-motors as inductive load. This version is very sensible against ground leaking current. Drivetrain 2.0 and 2.5 have an separate charger. In germany all sockets are protected with GFCI and I never had problems with that issue.

I first installed a GFCI on my 14-50 and it worked with my UMC for the first few charges then it would trip almost all the time. The UMC lists a trip level on it (I think it is 20mA) which is higher than the typical home GFCI breaker which is say 5mA. There are equipment protection breakers which will trip at higher levels like 10mA or 30mA. You might have to get the HPC just to get around this nightmare. (Or install the GFCI breaker then quietly replace it...)

GFCI is only if outdoors or near water.

I think it depends on the town. We live in Tenafly (you need a permit to sneeze in Tenafly) and the electricians I've talked to say it is mandatory that all garage outlets have GFCI. Until I read jaanton's post above I wasn't worried, now I'm a bit worried.

I am also in Bergen County at I80 and Parkway work in Mahwah NJ maybe I will see you around. Debating about a Model S or X

Hopefully I won't be "the guy on I80 with the flat batteries"... If our car ever arrives I'll post some pics but I have never seen a Roadster in the wild here so it should be easy enough to spot. You can always PM me and drop by for a ride!

I first installed a GFCI on my 14-50 and it worked with my UMC for the first few charges then it would trip almost all the time. The UMC lists a trip level on it (I think it is 20mA) which is higher than the typical home GFCI breaker which is say 5mA. There are equipment protection breakers which will trip at higher levels like 10mA or 30mA. You might have to get the HPC just to get around this nightmare. (Or install the GFCI breaker then quietly replace it...)

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me your version number? I'd guess from your #1026 VIN that you have a 2.5 but I just want to confirm. I assume all 2.5's are the same even if I get a different firmware from you in #1329.

I have one of the first 2.5's. In fact I ordered my car before they announced the 2.5 so I was "upgraded". Some of the accessories I got at a lower price. But I've had two firmware upgrades in 6 months. I'm currently at 4.5.1. The firmware for the coulomb fix is 4.5.2. It might be that the GFCI issues with the coulomb might fix my problems with GFCI's generally. (I hope).