Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giant Red Steering Wheel Image on Monitor and

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve recently been booted out of Auto Pilot after using it about 20 miles or so, and a giant red steering wheel appears on the monitor stating “Auto Pilot is not available for the rest of this trip” or something to that effect. It won’t let me use AP again until I stop the car and place it in Park, then resume my trip. This never happened before the last update. Anyone else see this and have any idea what’s causing it?

I don't know which recent update it was, but something has made the autopilot nanny WAAAAAY more sensitive.
I think the update that added the FSD Beta Request button, enabled the interior camera... I know after that update, I got yelled at while pulling out of my kid's dropoff area at school for not looking at the road, while I was looking at the display to turn on the passenger vent.

Reactions: LoudMusic
Yep, been there done that. 105 mph to pass a cattle truck spewing urine all over the road. Had to pull off at the next exit and put it into park so that I could use AP for the rest of the trip. Learned to take it out of AP before goosing it to get around nasty trucks.
Something similar - quick blip to get ahead to a gap so the auto lane change could start. The really loud siren woke up 4 sleeping people who all thought we were having an accident. (ok hearing me yelling "shut-up" at the car probably reassured them that everything was normal.)
No I shouldn't have been going that fast - but In this situation disabling autosteer does not seem to be the safest choice of action on Tesla's part.
Compare it to the situation where autosteer gives up on a tight bend - just a little bong sound then.

I turn it off before doing anything similar in future.

Reactions: andaconda
I’ve recently been booted out of Auto Pilot after using it about 20 miles or so, and a giant red steering wheel appears on the monitor stating “Auto Pilot is not available for the rest of this trip” or something to that effect. It won’t let me use AP again until I stop the car and place it in Park, then resume my trip. This never happened before the last update. Anyone else see this and have any idea what’s causing it?
Yes..it happened to us just now. I just told my husband to press the brake. He cannot access it from then on. What caused that?