Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Animals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This lady appeared like the good witch in the Wizard of Oz walking around with that "staff or wand"... maybe the dog is Toto?...
Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 6_04_52 PM.png

It's a service dog. Since the guy is carrying it I have to assume its for a psychological/emotional support not physical (not blind or physically disabled) but still they wouldn't let it in the factory if it wasn't a service dog.

See my other post--not an emotional therapy dog/animal. A whole different class of assistance/service animal. and regulated under a different set of rules/regs under the ADA. Abby is a medical service dog (...and, no, it is none of your business how she assists me).

I don't think this is the place to judge anyone's psychological needs. Really when is it appropriate to judge anyone's psychological needs? You have no idea, context, or understanding of what this man may or may not need. To take the extra steps of taking his picture, without his permission, then to publicly shame his totally uncalled for and more than a little ridiculous.

Thanks for the support--I have addressed the unwashed masses in other posts. Ignorance of the ADA is epidemic....

Reactions: GasKilla
Which social support service was more problematic - the open bar or a (I assume trained and well behaved) canine?
Perspective, perspective...

She was far, far better behaved than the many pushy, entitled party 'guests' getting plastered and bitching about the food service, and yelling when Elon and JB were trying to address the crowd.

See my other post--not an emotional therapy dog/animal. A whole different class of assistance/service animal. and regulated under a different set of rules/regs under the ADA. Abby is a medical service dog (...and, no, it is none of your business how she assists me).

I'm OK with you saying it's none of my business what her specific subclass is. I still think I was spot on in saying:

It's a service dog, ... but still they wouldn't let it in the factory if it wasn't a service dog.

Thus informing the thread it was likely a service dog and defending it's presence before you joined the thread.

If you take offense to my example subclasses for service dogs at least know it wasn't intended as a derogatory classification.

As per my other post, not an emotional therapy dog, but a medical service dog. For my needs, she does not need to be big or strong, just very smart (...smarter than you??).

You are probably right, I am sure she is smarter than me! I apologize for offending as I am unaware of your specific situation, was a momentary lapse in judgement as I was Jealous that she got to attend ;-)

Your situation aside, does it frustrate you to see so many people abusing legitimate need for service dogs, just so they can bring them into a restaurant?

You are probably right, I am sure she is smarter than me! I apologize for offending as I am unaware of your specific situation, was a momentary lapse in judgement as I was Jealous that she got to attend ;-)

Your situation aside, does it frustrate you to see so many people abusing legitimate need for service dogs, just so they can bring them into a restaurant?

Thanks for the apology--appreciate it.

To answer your question, yes, it is incredibly frustrating to see the gross abuse of the ADA. This unfortunately is a result of very badly worded language in the law/code. Believe it or not, there is no Federal requirement for someone to demonstrate proper training or testing of a service animal. There is no requirement/provision for official licensure or some kind of universal documentation/wallet ID card. There is no standard or requirement for a service vest or recognizable identifying garment/tag. The law states that an individual who has an animal (it can be essentially any animal, e.g. a parrot, pig, lizard, or dog) and makes a representation that the animal is a medical service animal must be accommodated. No license, no ID, no vest. And if the institution does not cooperate, it is a Federal offense. I would not want to be a restaurateur, airline, hotel, etc under these circumstances. The law does however allow an establishment to eject/bar an animal and their 'owner' if the animal is disruptive or unruly. I have seen no shortage of out-of-control dogs at TSA security checkpoints. Makes it bad for the rest of us. And, BTW, let's not discuss the variability and challenge of international travel where there is no equivalent (badly crafted) ADA.

And, BTW, let's not discuss the variability and challenge of international travel where there is no equivalent (badly crafted) ADA.

Just got back from Zug, Switzerland. Very dog friendly culture, all the shops had posts outside to leash animals and I saw 4-5 people bringing their pets into restaurants (even a sushi bar!).

Keep in mind for your next vacation :)

Just got back from Zug, Switzerland. Very dog friendly culture, all the shops had posts outside to leash animals and I saw 4-5 people bringing their pets into restaurants (even a sushi bar!).

Keep in mind for your next vacation :)

Yes, Switzerland reportedly very dog friendly. Certainly France is. There is however a distinction between friendly and the prevailing local and EU laws. Bringing an animal into the EU from the USA requires a substantial amount of testing and documentation. There is an EU 'pet passport' which requires completion and endorsement by a USDA vet. Also FWIW when Abby was young we had a microchip implanted. Problem is that the old US standard chip does not meet ISO rules and is not readable or recognized abroad. Had to implant a 2nd ISO standard chip, which gets read by EU immigration and matched to the number on the official EU 'pet passport'.

First of all, thanks to everyone for their reports and pictures from the event. Looks like it was a fun time, and I appreciate the glimpses into what was actually revealed--not much, honestly, but it's interesting nonetheless.

The law states that an individual who has an animal (it can be essentially any animal, e.g. a parrot, pig, lizard, or dog)

I'm glad Tesla respected your right to carry the dog. Looks like a great companion for you. I have a friend with a Havanese. His family loves it dearly and it is no doubt a very sharp doggie. I also appreciate that you corrected some misperceptions about service animals. There is a lot of abuse, and the way to prevent it is to keep letting people know what the reasons are for ADA-protected service animals vs. emotional support animals. I will, however, correct the quoted bit. Federal law really only protects dogs. No other species is protected by Title II or Title III of the ADA as a service animal. Many businesses will allow other animals, but that is either their choice or it is mandated by state or local laws.

I will also add that under the ADA an establishment may only ask 2 questions about the dog to determine whether they have to allow the dog within its premises: 1. Is the animal required because of a disability? 2. What work or task has the animal been trained to perform? There is also the twist that the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) does allow for a slightly different set of 3 questions by an airline and does provide for use of emotional support animals on commercial airplanes, including animals other than dogs. Airlines can require documentation for those animals though, which they cannot require for an ADA service animal.

So in the end, no, Tesla did not have to allow someone with a turkey to tour the gigafactory. :)

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
First of all, thanks to everyone for their reports and pictures from the event. Looks like it was a fun time, and I appreciate the glimpses into what was actually revealed--not much, honestly, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I'm glad Tesla respected your right to carry the dog. Looks like a great companion for you. I have a friend with a Havanese. His family loves it dearly and it is no doubt a very sharp doggie. I also appreciate that you corrected some misperceptions about service animals. There is a lot of abuse, and the way to prevent it is to keep letting people know what the reasons are for ADA-protected service animals vs. emotional support animals. I will, however, correct the quoted bit. Federal law really only protects dogs. No other species is protected by Title II or Title III of the ADA as a service animal. Many businesses will allow other animals, but that is either their choice or it is mandated by state or local laws.

I will also add that under the ADA an establishment may only ask 2 questions about the dog to determine whether they have to allow the dog within its premises: 1. Is the animal required because of a disability? 2. What work or task has the animal been trained to perform? There is also the twist that the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) does allow for a slightly different set of 3 questions by an airline and does provide for use of emotional support animals on commercial airplanes, including animals other than dogs. Airlines can require documentation for those animals though, which they cannot require for an ADA service animal.

So in the end, no, Tesla did not have to allow someone with a turkey to tour the gigafactory. :)

Thanks for the added comments. In my experience most establishments never ask the magic questions, but the airlines for sure do. In fact when booking travel, I have to subsequently call the appropriate Disabilities Desk and answer the usual questions. As you note, no documentation needed for medical service dogs, but appropriate letters from medical professionals required for emotional therapy animals. I do however carry a wallet photo ID card from my professional trainer--useful but not 'government sanctioned'.