Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Berlin Battery Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

At Battery Day, Elon confirmed that Giga Berlin will produce batteries. That raised some questions:

• When? Will they first batch of MYs have locally produced batteries?
  • Which of the five innovations the cells have? Perhaps iron based, but use the 4680 form factor and some of the other innovations?
What do you think?

Daniel

I don't think that Tesla intends to invest in any new battery factories until their new 4860 line is finished.

As far as providing batteries for those cars until then I think that they will import from Panasonic in the U.S. and from China. The iron batteries from China can be sold in the U.S. as well.

Their timeline for their new 4680 cell is coincidentally very close to the timeline of Giga Berlin and Giga Texas. I don't think that that is a coincidence. They could have build these plants years ago if they were to use the old format.

Just speculation.

Everyone but a few insiders are speculating, so I'll do the same.

Intermodal shipping of bare cells to the center of Europe is going to be a logistical and safety nightmare. It's easier and safer to ship raw materials or assembled modules. Thus Tesla is going to prioritize developing the production machinery for a new cell design.
A fall-back to delivering completed modules from Fremont or Sparks is much less appealing because production is already close to battery or cell limited.

Producing German MY's with 4680 will have a huge impact on all Tesla sales. Why would anyone buy a US MY with old battery tech when the European market is getting the latest and greatest? Talk about osborning existing sales! Seems like giga Texas will not be producing enough 4680's for awhile. Elon has said that they will continue using 2170's and no immediate plans to change batteries in the base MS or Y. Seems like US 4680 production will be struggling to keep up with CyberTruck and Semi roll out.

Rumor has it that Plaid + will use 4680 but that is going to be a small batch compared to MY or 3 requirements. I get that they can't say they're ramping up to change US MY's or III's for fear of killing existing orders but the current communications from Tesla are confusing.

..FUD.. based upon rumors.

Who gets the new 4680 cells first? The new 4680 cells are going to affect the competition more than it'll cannibalize Tesla's own sales.

Their new battery factory has been running for months since they revealed it, but how long has it actually been operating? I think Elon confirmed that Tesla sent more than a dozen MYs with 4680s over to Europe for testing late last year.

Producing German MY's with 4680 will have a huge impact on all Tesla sales. Why would anyone buy a US MY with old battery tech when the European market is getting the latest and greatest? Talk about osborning existing sales! Seems like giga Texas will not be producing enough 4680's for awhile. Elon has said that they will continue using 2170's and no immediate plans to change batteries in the base MS or Y. Seems like US 4680 production will be struggling to keep up with CyberTruck and Semi roll out.

Rumor has it that Plaid + will use 4680 but that is going to be a small batch compared to MY or 3 requirements. I get that they can't say they're ramping up to change US MY's or III's for fear of killing existing orders but the current communications from Tesla are confusing.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung