Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Berlin/GF4 Factory Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sparcs

Nov 8, 2018
USA
Creating a thread to aggregate some information about the factory
Located at a 300-hectare site in the municipality of Grünheide, construction of Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg is expected to begin in 2020 with production targeted for 2021. Phase 1 will focus on production of Model Y, with a target capacity of 10,000 vehicles per week. We estimate that during Phase 1, we will employ up to 12,000 people, with roles being filled by local residents and employees from wider Europe.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rarity
I am curious to know where the design development is at for the actual building, including procurement.

From what I understand, this factory is different than Shanghai, and far different than Freemont. I realize most of the structure is simply a box designed to contain equipment, which likely means there is something of an “off the shelf” design, but local regulations and codes are may have some effect on the timing of municipal approvals. These things can sometimes go slowly. I don’t even know if the site is adequately serviced in terms of power, water and, sanitary infrastructure that may need to be installed on properties outside of this site.

If they ever build a Gigafactory in Canada, I’ll have a much better read of the situation, but I don’t understand enough about how things are done in Germany. I would assume they are... big on rules,

I read, I believe on this forum, that the site had been considered by BMW and processed with locat/regional/national government for over a year........suggesting that the process should be more timely than if Tesla had started from scratch (whenever they started).

Mayor: Construction of Tesla Gigafactory in Grünheide possible at the end of March > teslamag.de

Google Translate: Google Übersetzer

The earliest possible date for approval would be March 19, because on March 18 there will be a mandatory discussion on the objections that citizens can raise against the Gigafactory until March 5. And Christiani assumes that it will actually go on quickly afterwards: "It could be that the groundbreaking ceremony will take place at the end of March," he says, even if you never know what the objections will be, and even if there are complaints against a permit are possible.

So that March 18th date looks like the last important date and then they will likely get the final permit soon after. Doesn't look like any showstoppers. The tree cutting seemed to be the biggest obstacle which appears to be largely done.

Last edited:

It seems that Musk thought the number of employees in Grünheide was a bit too large. Business Insider learned from government circles that internally a maximum of 12,000 employees is expected - for many years to come. So far it has been said that 12,000 people will be employed in expansion stage 1 of the factory. And this number will then gradually increase. Even the benevolent members of the state government do not believe in that.

Even the number of 12,000 employees is ambitious at the current level. In two months, from July 1st, the first Teslas should roll off the production line in Grünheide. The car manufacturer plans to fill 7,000 positions by the time production starts. So far, however, a little more than 1,000 employees are said to have signed the contract with Tesla. It is hopeless to hire thousands of qualified employees in two months, industry insiders told Business Insider. The car manufacturer will not be able to avoid postponing the start of production. However, Tesla is firmly sticking to the launch date - for now.

Business Insider is reporting Giga Berlin's proposed July opening will have to be delayed.

"It's hard to predict with precision cause you can only make the cars when all of the pieces are here," Musk said during a visit to the Gruenheide site in the German state of Brandenburg.
"It looks like we're able to start production end of this year," Musk added.

• Funny
Reactions: Doggydogworld
A better translation than I have seen elsewhere,

"The Brandenburg State Office for the Environment has granted Tesla permission to start installing final assembly equipment at the Giga Berlin factory in Grünheide ahead of schedule. It is not the first advance approval allowing work inside the factory.

This involves equipment “for the assembly of interior fittings, cockpit, assembly of chassis, engine, among other things”, as the Brandenburg Ministry of the Environment (MLUK) writes on Twitter. "

A German regional authority said it was preparing to fine Tesla for illegal building activity on the site of its planned new car factory near Berlin.

I'm not in Germany or Europe, so it's hard to tell what stories coming out are impactful and which are just rumors or very minor to the overall construction of the factory. But this is Reuters reporting, so it's a little bit easier to follow (no translation) and they're a somewhat legitimate outlet in reporting facts - and this story is just reporting what the environment ministry for Brandenburg is saying.

I'm not in Germany or Europe, so it's hard to tell what stories coming out are impactful and which are just rumors or very minor to the overall construction of the factory. But this is Reuters reporting, so it's a little bit easier to follow (no translation) and they're a somewhat legitimate outlet in reporting facts - and this story is just reporting what the environment ministry for Brandenburg is saying.
Follow Alex Voigt (@alex_avoight on Twitter) for frequent reports from Germany. Is he here?