Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Berlin production changes coming to Fremont WHEN???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
I recently saw the below video that details the differences in the Giga Berlin production LR and P Model Y and I'm baffled that we're into July and still not seeing these changes carried over to Fremont.

I don't know if this is due to Tesla waiting to change over their suppliers and make adjustments for the in-house produced part (seats) but it's a little off putting to me that there are a fairly large number of changes to the vehicle that seemingly improve it and so far there's no indication of any of these changes arriving out of Fremont where the bulk of the cars will be built for the remainder of the year.

Change list summarized;

1. New door trim panels - color match wood trim (Shanghai has had for 6+ months).
  2. Door trim panel material made with softer plastic (should help with rattles).
  3. Audio system update (tweeter delete and different sub layout, reportedly better audio quality).
  4. Revised front seat design with beefier side bolsters.
  5. Parcel shelf (Austin has but not Fremont)
  6. Magnetic center console (Austin has but not Fremont)
  7. Side cabin material near doors changed to a carpeted material to reduce seatbelt rattling
  8. Strut change for softer closing rear hatch.
  9. Suspension revision resulting in smoother ride in Performance version (unknown if LR version is also updated to better two stage dampeners).

I recently saw the below video that details the differences in the Giga Berlin production LR and P Model Y and I'm baffled that we're into July and still not seeing these changes carried over to Fremont.

I don't know if this is due to Tesla waiting to change over their suppliers and make adjustments for the in-house produced part (seats) but it's a little off putting to me that there are a fairly large number of changes to the vehicle that seemingly improve it and so far there's no indication of any of these changes arriving out of Fremont where the bulk of the cars will be built for the remainder of the year.

Change list summarized;

1. New door trim panels - color match wood trim (Shanghai has had for 6+ months).
  2. Door trim panel material made with softer plastic (should help with rattles).
  3. Audio system update (tweeter delete and different sub layout, reportedly better audio quality).
  7. Side cabin material near doors changed to a carpeted material to reduce seatbelt rattling
  9. Suspension revision resulting in smoother ride in Performance version (unknown if LR version is also updated to better two stage dampeners).
And will it be possible to retrofit any of these differences into the '20 - '22 Fremont MYP versions? IMHO, No 😣

Change list summarized;

The guy obviously knows enough about the minutiae, but driving slowly around a grassy parking lot is hardly a conclusive suspension test ;)
Maybe some of these are what the various shutdowns are for?
I seem to remember that the MiC cars got the Ryzen first, can't recall who got the hepa filter first though.
Does this mean we now have MiF, MiC, MiB & MiA :D

Do Austin cars have some or all of the updates? I like the door panels and different glass espeicially.
Some of the updates, but I don't think all of them. But like they have different front laminated glass, instead of two equal thickness pieces of glass, there is a thicker and thinner one. Also, they have the carpeted rear quarter panel inner trim where the seat belts rest. (Like the Berlin made cars.)

I don't think they have the "new" door panels. I suspect that the North American supplier doesn't have the tooling for the new panels, and they may not plan on making the switch.

Reactions: X Fan
worth remembering that many of the changes are using parts coming from local suppliers. Its less easy to change parts when you already have supply agreements with existing suppliers, or you've already committed to a certain volume from those suppliers.
New factories and supply agreements make it much easier to change parts and the change could sometimes be required, just as some suppliers may not be able to ramp up to meet demand or make the part cheap enough to ship it across the world.
Basically - lots of sound business reasons for things like this to happen.

No, I've seen people on reddit talk about it but I forgot which post it was.
I found this one:
But he is ordering the parts. And so far the upper C pillar trim that appears to support the parcel shelf were $70/each. And they look like this:

1658442765873.png

There may be two more trim pieces required in addition to the shelf itself. So you are probably looking at $300-500 for the parts to do it yourself.