Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Shanghai China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ships are chartered

I know nothing about this sort of logistics, but what happens (or, perhaps, "What do YOU choose to do about it") when you cannot fill the ship at the specified time? Presumably that ship has another charter in 30 days time out-of-Europe ... is it just going to hang on in Shanghai waiting? well if so then EU Deliveries of Oligarch-spec bling-mobiles headed for China are going to be similarly hit, and VW et al share price fall ... maybe?

it doesn’t make sense to skip production cycles

Yes, I understand that, but given that Tesla isn't really making to order, but rather bulk-building some White Ones, and some LHD / RHD ones. And then matching them to orders later on ... that provides them with flexibility to be disruptive.

If their isn't time for the Ships to go to Europe and get back on schedule (I have no idea if that IS the case) then maybe they could fit in a round-trip to Japan instead ... and be back in Shanghai in time to get back onto the (next) regular schedule. Flood the Japanese market with M3 / MY and please some punters who had assumed they had a longer wait ... and stuff the Brits.

Assuming China haven't made any cars for UK market yet (they might have done, just before lockdown started, but if so not many) then May delivery looks very unlikely ... yet people still have May delivery dates.

Thanks for your message.

When you say "people still have May delivery dates", what are you actually referring to?
Previously I mentioned my car will be supposedly delivered at the end of June because, when I ordered it (March 17th), the site was estimating a 12-16 weeks delivery. As of today I didn't receive any update. Still waiting for the VIN.

In Japan, on average, we get the VIN about one month before the actual delivery date. And the delivery date is set only after the VIN is assigned.

In Japan, on average, we get the VIN about one month before the actual delivery date. And the delivery date is set only after the VIN is assigned.

Same here in UK. Once the cars are on the boat, and approaching the UK, then VINs are assigned.

When you say "people still have May delivery dates", what are you actually referring to?

Because cars are built in batches, rather than to specific order, the next batch may have, say, 100 x M3 LR White 19" wheels. Everyone who ordered that (at the "same" time) will have been given the same, initial, estimated delivery date.

Maybe everyone who ordered an M3 LR got the same date too ... my assumption being that there isn't any attempt to allocate cars up to that point. Then they find that most of the cars built are White, so all the people who want white get an allocation, but maybe most of the cars ordered were Blue, so not enough in the batch to go round.

Here in UK I doubt people with original May delivery dates will have yet been assigned a VIN. So the only date they have, so far, is "May"

If that was 99 people wanting "M3 LR White 19" wheels" then they will all get a car - and one lucky, other, person will get one too.

But if that was 101 people then one of the people will be pushed back to next batch ... and have to wait for the next boat. So now their "May" delviery changes to, say, "June"

Don't know if it works the same in Japan. Your transport time, from Shanghai is presumable a lot shorter.

Reactions: nishinari
IIRC there are about 600+ car carrier ships around the world today but just about all car manufacturers (unfortunately, now including Tesla it seems) have reduced production so there a good few of these carriers that have no work and are tied up somewhere at any point in time. So Tesla finding a ship to charter to collect cars from Shanghai at a date that Tesla want and take them to wherever Tesla want, will not be a problem. Getting enough cars built (4,000+) to justify chartering a ship to get them somewhere, that is the issue.

...Back to work today, apparently.

There might be some conditions to keep working during the lock down.

Some companies got a permission to keep on working in their own bubbles. Financial districts workers work, eat, and sleep in their buildings.

GM Shanghai has done the same. Their workers have been working but they must agree not to venture out of the facility all this time during the quarantine.

Since Tesla didn't create a bubble just like the Olympics did, it's unclear how Tesla will get workers from homes now since residents are not allowed to leave their homes.

Reactions: nishinari
Latest from Bloomburg:

"Workers will also be expected to work 12 hours a day with one day off every six days, Bloomberg reported. Previously, the employees would work 8-hour shifts with four days on and two days off, the publication said."

I hope they build mine at the start of a shift not the end!

Reactions: Louis0w
This article below describes Tesla close-loop system complete with a sleeping bag, mattress, catering, entertainment, and a crispy $63 bill per day!

Oh my, with that closed-loop system and the associated impact on staff - Tesla really are looking more and more like other tech companies e.g. Apple everyday.

I hope everyone appreciates what some people do to get those MIC cars made.

Oh my, with that closed-loop system and the associated impact on staff - Tesla really are looking more and more like other tech companies e.g. Apple everyday.

Tbf some of them are probably happy. They get paid, food, and to leave their home theyve been trapped in for weeks, some of them starving

Reactions: Jason71

Putting myself in their shoes I would prefer not to be trapped at home and not getting paid. I would absolutely swap that for working in the factory. Being with other people and having the comaraderie. Plus food and extra money on top.

It feels pretty grim talking about getting cars and celebrating them possibly arriving a bit quicker when these people are putting their health at risk, not only from COVID but the reported circumstances of how they’ll be expected to work.
You are assuming they are being coerced to go back to work? do we know that is the case? or is it a choice? As others have said some may be more than happy with this arrangement compared to being forced to stay home and earn nothing.
As I understand it 12hour shifts 6 days a week are pretty common in China as the norm in a lot of places. And I agree is this not good long term for the people or the product. but as a short term measure its workable. I have don't similar myself for a few weeks at a time in the past.
BUT
If I had chosen to go live in the factory for a few weeks I would rather spend as much of that time as possible working and earning. I mean what are you going to do with your days off anyway?
I was pleasantly surprised to see Tesla normal pattern was 8 hours 5 days though which is good.

We don't know either way. It just feels a bit off to me talking about getting material things in the context of people who may or may not be being pressured (by Tesla, or the government, or whatever) to go back to work.

Can't really explain it more than that to be honest.. I felt the same thinking about buying a new Apple gadget back when there was talk of one of the component suppliers fitting nets to prevent people committing suicide so effectively.

I'm not making a principaled stance really, since ultimately I would still be excited about getting a new Tesla early, etc.. but at the same time it feels a little off, if you know what I mean.

We don't know either way. It just feels a bit off to me talking about getting material things in the context of people who may or may not be being pressured (by Tesla, or the government, or whatever) to go back to work.

Can't really explain it more than that to be honest.. I felt the same thinking about buying a new Apple gadget back when there was talk of one of the component suppliers fitting nets to prevent people committing suicide so effectively.

I'm not making a principaled stance really, since ultimately I would still be excited about getting a new Tesla early, etc.. but at the same time it feels a little off, if you know what I mean.
I am entirely speculating but I suspect there are many things that you own. starting with almost everything you are wearing now, that are made by people in far worse working conditions than will exist in Giga Shanghai over the next few weeks.
Also 12 hour shifts 6 days a week sleeping at your workplace. Doesn't that count as a light week for a junior doctor in the NHS?

As I said, I'm not taking a principaled stance as I'm a hypocrite when it comes to this stuff - e.g. buying Apple stuff even knowing Foxconn employees were jumping to their deaths, etc. As I said, it's more of a pang of guilt I guess - seeing people who basically live charmed lives (myself included) by comparison talking about something as insignificant as a slightly delayed new car delivery relative to people potentially putting themselves in harms way, or working excessively hard, to deliver that.

*shrug*